IGNORED

Pineapple: a 7800BASIC exercise.

I don't understand the 7800 randomization. In bB for the 2600 all I'd need to do is "a=rand". The stuff about seeding I don't understand. I mean, I understand it, but I don't know if I need to do it or not.

I did set it so if the banana1y variable is an odd number (banana1y{0} should check if it's odd or even), to add 1 to it before it is put on the screen.

I did some more arranging of the code and added some stuff. This may be working.

pineapple2020_07_07_3.zip

Looking at the assembly, 7800basic seeds the random number variable with the value stored in the timer in the same way bB does, also ensuring that it is not a zero.

;seed random number with hopefully-random timer value
     lda #1
     ora INTIM
     sta rand

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 1:57 PM, atari2600land said:

It doesn't state in the 7800BASIC page that the maximum size of a sprite is 8 x 8 pixels. So in order to do this, I had to use two sprites as the pineapple. One is the top, and the other is the bottom third, for an 8 x 16 sprite, but it's only 8 x 12. This may impact the game a little. Now I'll have 14 collision checks instead of 7 (I was planning on having 6 items maximum and a seventh be a banana for a special bonus points.

pineapple5.png.c7a632b1fe637d9ba1f89cb9491244c2.png

I thought the pineapple was really small so I made it bigger. It looks a lot better.

Hi - I've just added an example of using the tallsprite feature in 7800basic to draw sprites larger than 8 pixels high:

• Like 1

I think you can get a sense of what I want to do with the game in this early build. Later on there will be kiwi fruit (or another tropical fruit. But what else is there besides bananas and pineapples?) which you MUST grab in ten seconds or else the game ends. Just a thing to keep it not monotonous and have you dodging bananas all the time. And of course, I'll be adding more bananas. Right now there are only two bananas to dodge.

pineapple2020_07_10.zip

18 hours ago, atari2600land said:

Did some research. In Sick Pickles, the idea is to eat the food. In Pineapple, the idea is to dodge it. So no, it's not like Sick Pickles.

Yes,Sick Pickles is not the same.

Nice little game.....best is 51.4

Maybe add some obstacles,which you must collect????

6 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

Should I change it so it maxes out at five?

I don't think so, six is great and presents a really good challenge! Makes me want to keep trying to get back up to six. ?

New PB at six bananas.

- James

image.thumb.png.cdb0c0895663ba05912f5982330398da.png

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew

53 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

Changed the banana introduction so they come in at the edges now and made the code a lot shorter.

@ZeroPage Homebrew What's PB mean?

pineapple2020_07_13.zip 17.31 kB · 1 download

Sorry, PB is Personal Best. ?

I played the new version and I notice a couple of times I passed right through the banana without dying! It took a while to figure out but the hit box for the banana seems to be about halfway down the banana and extend about the same length past the banana. This means you're VERY safe above the banana but in huge danger beneath it. This would give a huge advantage if you learned to dodge the bananas at the top of the screen as it would give you a little bit of extra room if they were getting close. I tried the same tactic on the last version and it's the same so I don't think it was introduced in this version.

I also noticed two times the papayas were halfway into the bricks but still obtainable. They happened to be on the right hand side both times. I didn't see this happen in the last version but the placement is pretty random so I can't be sure.

Hope this helps!

- James

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew

• 2 months later...