IGNORED

Converter to use modern controllers on Atari?

TapperP

Are there any converters that let you use modern controllers on Atari 8bit?

Like Xbox 360/One or PS3 controllers for example. My main reason for asking is I already own some nice arcade joysticks for those platforms, and it could be fun to use them with Atari games.

I think so, I'm fairly sure one has been done for PS1 types (and likely that'd work with some later ones).

In some cases the targeted sytem has been C64 or Amiga but for the most part such devices would be interchangable though I think the Amiga can write to the TRIG lines where we can't.

I have one of these wireless adapters, but it doesn't work directly as Genesis is not pin compatible with Atari. You will need to purchase or build a small adapter to make it work on the Atari. I built the adapter a few months ago,  it's pretty straightforward: 2x DB9, a few resistors and 2 transistors. 
You can find schematics in old posts here on the forum. 

Guys, thank you for the info. But I'm just a regular guy, no electrical engineering background or anything.

As far as the 8bitdo adapter goes, I've read that people use Genesis controllers on Atari 8bit all the time. But, if this won't work then I'll just send it back.

UPDATE: eh, I cancelled the order. If it won't work on the Atari then I don't need it.

Edited by TapperP

I don't own an 8bitdo adapter, yet, but the mod is supposedly a single wire mod. More info is found here: 

If the single wire mod is beyond your soldering capabilities, you can also purchase the seagull 7800 adapter, which allows you to plug in your Sega Genesis 8bitdo adapter and connect it to an Atari 2600, 7800, 8-bit or ST! Also available in the 'local' store: https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1079

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SenorRossie said:

the mod is supposedly a single wire mod

This is what I understood.

I emailed 8bitdo and asked if they would be interested in making an adapter for Atari/C64/Amstrad etc. and they replied that they can't discuss unreleased products, so take from that what you will.

Should be possible to program these so they work with the 3 button multifire joysticks as well and have paddles on analog sticks

4 hours ago, SenorRossie said:

I don't own an 8bitdo adapter, yet, but the mod is supposedly a single wire mod. More info is found here: 

If the single wire mod is beyond your soldering capabilities, you can also purchase the seagull 7800 adapter, which allows you to plug in your Sega Genesis 8bitdo adapter and connect it to an Atari 2600, 7800, 8-bit or ST! Also available in the 'local' store: https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1079

I can do basic soldering, so yeah I can probably handle that. I'll bookmark this as a maybe.

I'm not desperate to use a modern controller, it would just be a nice option. Was just wondering if that was a simple plug-n-play adapter and apparently there isn't one.

I got one 8bitdo, it arrived this evening. I opened and did the mod to supply power to pin 5, it works great. I paired with Wii controller and then with one Nintendo switch joycon. It worked with Moon Patrol redux with the Two button mod. 

So it really works well. 

62202022520.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/29/2020 at 2:26 AM, TapperP said:

Are there any converters that let you use modern controllers on Atari 8bit?

Like Xbox 360/One or PS3 controllers for example. My main reason for asking is I already own some nice arcade joysticks for those platforms, and it could be fun to use them with Atari games.

I purchased mouSTer mainly because i worried that the old ball mouse i use exclusively with missile command plus is wearing out.

MouSTer works great for that purpose.

As for a usb gamepad i cant advise yet. Mouster has an issue with my ancient logitech firestorm 2. Will order a new pad over xmas holiday.

cant use an atari style joystick because of arthritis in my thumbs. For now i can still use the gamepad (on the laptop). Hoping the new one will work with MouSTer on the Ataris. I'll post again when I have it.