IGNORED

DX10 Home Computer Software Development System

jbdigriz

I posted a scan of a photocopy of the SDS Programmers Guide in the Development Resources sticky, but it was suggested I start a new thread, so here it is. I have some other stuff, SDSMAC source listings, additional documentation, etc. to put here, too. Coming soon. Anyone else have anything relevant, please post away.

The SDS consists of a GPL assembler, linker, simulator, and debugger running under DX10 on a TI 990 mini, typically a /10. TI BASIC programs can be converted to GROM format to run on the simulator.

[edit] Anyone has a copy of the SDS software or even a running system, or knows where such might be, please post here, message me, or email jbdigriz@dragonsweb.org. Thanks!

jbdigriz

HCM_SDS.pdf

Edited by jbdigriz
software leads request
  • Like 7

Wow, this might reveal as amazing stuff. jbdigriz.

At least this example document was already published (another scan) on atariage.com by Ksarul.

"Home Computer Software Development System Programmer's Guide, Revised 6 November 1979, Personal Computer Division"

Ksarul also scanned this referred document:

"Graphics Programming Language Debugger Operation Guide, Original issue 15 November 1979, Personal Computer Division".

If Ksarul is fine, i can post the pdfs here.

The Graphics Programming Language Programmer's Guide is more known and a common document in the community.

Anything in this direction is awesome! Especially if we finally find the actual described software.

If you give us the document title of other stuff we can tell you right away if it is already preserved.

Has there ever been a mechanism to take a TI BASIC program and convert it to GROM as documented in the Software Development System manual available to the masses?   And how many modules were released that were created this way, do we know?  It’s a very interesting concept to me.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Has there ever been a mechanism to take a TI BASIC program and convert it to GROM as documented in the Software Development System manual available to the masses?   And how many modules were released that were created this way, do we know?  It’s a very interesting concept to me.

I'd bet on...

Personal Record Keeping and Securities Analysis.

On 7/3/2020 at 7:50 PM, Casey said:

BASGROM command, section 7 of the SDS programmer's guide I posted the other day. At least if you're using a 990 and have the SDS. Not sure what is available 4A native nowadays, but I would assume one or another of the GROM emulators has some such facility available. If not, it wouldn't seem that difficult for someone to accomplish. Could be useful.

Curious, looks like the SDS guide Ksarul posted is a scan of an original, but only includes one section of the photocopy I put up. The GPL debugger guide I don't appear to have here, but thanks to Klaus's foresight, we do now. The other documentation referenced in the SDS guide is the GPL Programmer's Guide. I *think* that is up on whtech somewhere, will look, and will look through some more boxes here. Most of the stuff in the current stack is, again, SDSMAC listings for Product 359, and the associated GPL assembler listings and linker files. About a 6 in. stack, and all I have right now is this tedious flatbed scanner, so please be patient. There are some other things, but those are items that have already been posted in various venues online. I believe they're all on whtech at present. I'll double-check though as I go through the stack.

The real trick is going to be to find a copy of the SDS software, and pulling tape or disk images for use with PC setups more people are likely to have access to. I have a 990/10 here, but it's going to need some TLC to get running, and unfortunately I no longer have the drives I got with it ( a DS10 and a DS50). Maybe someone else with a running 990 or expertise with reading DX10 tapes and disks with PC hardware will be able to help out. First thing is to find the stuff, though. The number of 3rd party 4A developers who bought the 990 development systems looks to have been rather small, so this may be a challenge.

Edited by jbdigriz
  • Like 1

The pages of the scan from Ksarul seems in wrong order but they looked complete to me. In your version every 2nd page was an empty one, therefore the number of pages is exceeding the ones from Ksarul.

The Product 359 is Extended Basic and it would be of great value to verify this against what RXB typed in once from a book he bought against completeness and errors or missing comments.

Piero Andreini is currently helping me dumping all 12 of my 8" disks for the DS990/1 which is a very small mini computer for a proper preservation. He is definately up for also getting your disks preserved.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 1:50 AM, Casey said:

Hi Casey,

a few years back i was adding some feature to Web99 (windows TI-99 tool) to decode some modules back to their original TI Basic Source code.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/246757-decoding-basic-source-code-from-cartridge-binaries/

That feature is everything but user friendly nor flexible, it requires the module to be in an expected format.

It was more of a challenge whether I can do achieve to decode it somehow.

But back then I checked the whole PHM library and the thread basically has all the decoded TI Basic Programs to download.

I would feel a bit cheated if I paid that much for a module which is in the end nothing but a TI Basic program.

I have to agree Casey, the concept to have an option for the community to create a GROM module is tempting.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 4:50 PM, Casey said:

RXB has many GPL commands built right into XB.

CALL MOVES is a GPL command. Can move any type of memory to any time of memory of any size. i.e. VDP, RAM, ROM, GROM, GRAM, CRU 

CALL IO is a GPL command. This controls CRU bits for Cassette controls, Plays VDP music files automatically, or CRU bit read/writes.

On 7/5/2020 at 7:47 AM, kl99 said:

The pages of the scan from Ksarul seems in wrong order but they looked complete to me. In your version every 2nd page was an empty one, therefore the number of pages is exceeding the ones from Ksarul.

The Product 359 is Extended Basic and it would be of great value to verify this against what RXB typed in once from a book he bought against completeness and errors or missing comments.

Piero Andreini is currently helping me dumping all 12 of my 8" disks for the DS990/1 which is a very small mini computer for a proper preservation. He is definately up for also getting your disks preserved.

I see I was in a hurry and didn't notice, with the viewer I was using, that Ksarul's pdf was a container with subsection pdfs. Yes, it's all there. BTW, I actually made a pdf skipping the empty pages, but in the end I decided to accurately reflect the fact that it was a scan of a photocopy.

You're correct about Product 359. It is Extended Basic, and there are 2 versions of the FLMGR module in the material I have, one from 08/80 and another from 02/81, which corresponds to my recollection of the release history of Extended Basic. My hat's off to RXB for typing all that in; I'm dreading proof-reading OCR's of these listings, which in some cases are pretty faint. I'm scanning as I can, between roof-patching sessions. Down to 2 minor leaks now! Be able to pull up the kitchen floor for replacement soon. More fun!

You're lucky to have the 990/1 disks, and I sure would like to get images once they're preserved. Are those FD1000 format? I have a 990/1 here, but unfortunately no disks, and no drives, at present. 

Edited by jbdigriz

On 7/5/2020 at 2:15 PM, RXB said:

RXB has many GPL commands built right into XB.

CALL MOVES is a GPL command. Can move any type of memory to any time of memory of any size. i.e. VDP, RAM, ROM, GROM, GRAM, CRU 

CALL IO is a GPL command. This controls CRU bits for Cassette controls, Plays VDP music files automatically, or CRU bit read/writes.

Thanks for the reminder, RXB, I knew this had been done, but it's been so long since I had a 4A running, I couldn't remember who.  That's very useful. CALL IO  in particular. Visions of a GPIO or geek port, though that might take another 9901. WRT to the typing in you did, referenced above, what book was that from?

Edited by jbdigriz
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jbdigriz said:

You're correct about Product 359. It is Extended Basic, and there are 2 versions of the FLMGR module in the material I have, one from 08/80 and another from 02/81, which corresponds to my recollection of the release history of Extended Basic. 

If you really have two versions, then it could match Extended Basic 1.0 and 1.1.

These are awesome historical artifacts to preserve. Wow, you impress me.

8 hours ago, kl99 said:

If you really have two versions, then it could match Extended Basic 1.0 and 1.1.

These are awesome historical artifacts to preserve. Wow, you impress me.

I might be more impressed with myself if I had gotten this scanned in long, long ago, but...stuff happens, I guess. Lucky it still exists, in fact. It's at the top of the stack now, though.

By the way, do you have any idea what's on those 8" floppies? Do they have labels? It's sort of off-topic but I just scanned in for someone on the Classiccmp Discord server this manual: ftp://www.dragonsweb.org/pub/ti/docs/2262571-9701B.pdf  Thats the "Series 700 Intelligent Terminal Systems Communications Verification Test Procedure" which applies to the 990/1 as well as 770 and 771 terminals. Among other things, it mentions  PN 2262553-1601 "DS990 Model 1 Communications Verification Test Diskette". Just wondering if that's one of the ones you have.

jbdigriz

Edited by jbdigriz
still fix broken link

3 hours ago, jbdigriz said:

By the way, do you have any idea what's on those 8" floppies? Do they have labels?

Piero was as curious. There seems to be no official labels among the 12 disks that the unit came with.

They are for the FD1000. Piero managed to replace the whole FD1000 by a Gotek drive and a special adapter he created. So you might be getting some use for your DS990/1 once we had success with the dumps.

Here come all the disk labels.

IMG_20200613_081114.jpg

IMG_20200613_081130.jpg

IMG_20200613_081258.jpg

IMG_20200613_081307.jpg

IMG_20200613_081238.jpg

IMG_20200613_081249.jpg

IMG_20200613_081229.jpg

IMG_20200613_081211.jpg

IMG_20200613_081219.jpg

IMG_20200613_081151.jpg

IMG_20200613_081201.jpg

IMG_20200613_081142.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2020 at 2:48 PM, jbdigriz said:

I see I was in a hurry and didn't notice, with the viewer I was using, that Ksarul's pdf was a container with subsection pdfs. Yes, it's all there. BTW, I actually made a pdf skipping the empty pages, but in the end I decided to accurately reflect the fact that it was a scan of a photocopy.

You're correct about Product 359. It is Extended Basic, and there are 2 versions of the FLMGR module in the material I have, one from 08/80 and another from 02/81, which corresponds to my recollection of the release history of Extended Basic. My hat's off to RXB for typing all that in; I'm dreading proof-reading OCR's of these listings, which in some cases are pretty faint. I'm scanning as I can, between roof-patching sessions. Down to 2 minor leaks now! Be able to pull up the kitchen floor for replacement soon. More fun!

You're lucky to have the 990/1 disks, and I sure would like to get images once they're preserved. Are those FD1000 format? I have a 990/1 here, but unfortunately no disks, and no drives, at present. 

Where can I get a copy of these original 1.0 and 1.1 XB source?

RXB is based on version 110, would love to see 1.0 source!

2 hours ago, RXB said:

Where can I get a copy of these original 1.0 and 1.1 XB source?

RXB is based on version 110, would love to see 1.0 source!

I'm trying to get some done today. Will put them with the manuals I linked to above. I'll do the 08/80 FLMGR module first; that seems to be the big difference. Then pick up the rest, and it's quite a lot, so I'm looking at probably a week or so before getting it all done unless I can find a good ADF scanner cheap.

jbdigriz

On 7/7/2020 at 3:04 PM, kl99 said:

Piero was as curious. There seems to be no official labels among the 12 disks that the unit came with.

They are for the FD1000. Piero managed to replace the whole FD1000 by a Gotek drive and a special adapter he created. So you might be getting some use for your DS990/1 once we had success with the dumps.

Great, thanks for the pics! Looks like project files for a construction company, right? I do see 2 or 3 candidates for a bootable system disk in there, particularly the last one. I looked up Piero's Youtube video on this machine. He says the FD1000 won't write due to write protect? Is there a tab covering the write protect hole or slot on the disk being written to? This is backwards from 5-1/4" floppies, but it needs to be there to write to the disk. 

Curious about that Gotek setup, too, does he have a web page for it? BTW, you probably know this, but Dave Pitts has a great 990 web page at https://www.cozx.com/dpitts/ti990.html Also, there are manuals for the 990/1 on bitsavers:  https://bitsavers.org/pdf/ti/990/ds990

[update] Ok, I visited your website and see you have all those manuals. Hmm...More, in fact.

later,

jbdigriz

Edited by jbdigriz
  • Like 1

Ok, FLMGR359 GPL assembler listing and cross reference from 08/06/80 is scanned. ftp://www.dragonsweb.org/pub/ti/docs/Product359/flmgr359_080680.pdf

Some of the first pages are inconsistent vertical size due to a keyboard cat while I was away from my desk for supper. I'll rescan those few pages if anyone needs, but the main thing the file is out there now. Some of the pages are truncated on the right side by a print column or two, but that's the way I got them. Easy enough to figure everything out.

More on the way, EXEC, PSCAN, EDIT, ALCS, etc. Also FLMGR from 02/81.

HTH, and I apologize for not getting to this sooner.

Edited by jbdigriz
updated with add wrt later FLMGR version
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ksarul said:

Keyboard cats can be a good thing. All we need to do is teach them to code. . .  :)

I am of the firm belief that cats belong outdoors. This one has 3 3wk old kittens, though, and the yard is visited by possums, raccoons, foxes, hawks, owls, assorted reptiles, and the occasional dog with a badass attitude, bobcat, or feral hogs. So, Mouth and her brood are inside for the time being. Now, if I can only make time for coding, myself. ?

• Like 2