IGNORED

mode4 clash fixer tool

rensoup

No progress but experimenting with what I've got:

https://csdb.dk/release/?id=119470

609780628_WishItWasbyRaffox_DragonsLairC64.png.f1bfb67a42033596345ca8c6e006ae1c.png  dragonslairA8.png.2b46107bc222ccea6e67cf88b3010e1e.png

Despite looking simple this was actually a tricky one...

(forgot the credit for the DK Jr pic: https://csdb.dk/release/?id=134342. That C64 version was converted by MrSid from the 7800. Graphics adapted by STE86 )

(Not sure who did the Eye Pic, even though it says "war")

DragonsLair.obx

Edited by rensoup
  • Like 3

On 7/1/2020 at 6:34 PM, rensoup said:

To be fair, even with such a crap palette, the quality of some of the C64 pictures are mindblowing. Many are simply impossible to convert on the A8.

Much respect to the original artists

And great idea with your tool to optimize the use of the 5th colour

12 hours ago, Sheddy said:

Much respect to the original artists

And great idea with your tool to optimize the use of the 5th colour

For sure, lots of creative spirit on that platform... I gathered a good collection of pics to try with the converter...

The converter is a little different now, with a lot of confusing options but it makes it possible to convert a bunch more pictures. I'd estimate that at the beginning I would have been able to convert 5% of them, now it's perhaps 10%.

I'm still trying more ideas and hopfully there'll be a few more % within reach (Even though that's not the goal of this tool like I mentioned before.)

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Kaz atarionline.pl said:

It promises to be a great tool. Fantastic job, Rensou! I glued your video clips into one movie, with background music for better viewing, and additionally with the slideshow you prepared. I hope this will help to popularize the topic, and you like it :)

Thanks, and sure no problem having the examples on youtube... 

I'm sure this is the start of a big wave of quality pictures coming to the A8 ?

(yeah I'm being sarcastic ? but in case anyone does something with it, perhaps let us know in this thread)

So I guess it's worth mentioning the first official release is out (and available from the first post)

V1.02: Fix for .PSD filename not taken into account. Max source picture colour count bumped to 256 (oct 20)

I just uploaded it, so discard any older version...

Future updates will probably only include the exe to keep the archive small.

Edited by rensoup

7 hours ago, Kaz atarionline.pl said:

It promises to be a great tool. Fantastic job, Rensou! I glued your video clips into one movie, with background music for better viewing, and additionally with the slideshow you prepared. I hope this will help to popularize the topic, and you like it :)

Btw, I just noticed a small inaccuracy in your youtube video description... while it's true the tool works with .PSDs, it doesn't really convert any random .PSD file to the A8, the .PSD format is just an intermediary step.

The docs says: "A tool to help create pictures enhanced with PMG colors for the A8" which is more accurate (but perhaps confusing)

Right now it sounds like this tool would convert any truecolor picture into something viewable on the A8. That's a little too ambitious ?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

new version available from the first post.

A bunch of fixes as well as an improved (working) PF color lock which prevents the converter from reassigning colors to certain registers to remove color stripes. In theory, this makes the conversion a little harder (but sometimes it can be the opposite)

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 7/1/2020 at 2:39 PM, rensoup said:

Here's a tricky one:

133965.png.4a809ae1f9b78445505ca1a5ee0f0982.png

And here's another one I found while browsing bitfellas.org ?

143942.png.ed8bc8e8171645722d2bfb26e2c13a26.png

where's that duck? was it processed and make an exe for us?

Would be cool to have that Kaz movie turned into a real slide show streaming from a hard disk/side/avg/sio2whatever./etc

Edited by _The Doctor__

5 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

where's that duck? was it processed and make an exe for us?

Nope, it was a fail...

5 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Would be cool to have that Kaz movie turned into a real slide show streaming from a hard disk/side/avg/sio2whatever./etc

you mean that ?