IGNORED

Montezuma's Redux

TIX

Hehe.. see what I did with the title  ?

Alright time for another redux.

A year ago I started hacking the game, I had the sprites ready, but then I got involved with a team working on a sequel of sorts.. so i had to put them in storage.

Unfortunately the project didn't advanced, so long story short the Montezuma hack was back !

I collaborated once again with uber coder Paul Lay @playsoft, his support and tools made all this possible. I consider Paul the other half of the redux team ?

We based the hack on the bug fixed version of the game by @ascrnet !

Everything in the game has been altered:

• all new explorer character
  • new skull
  • new snakes
  • new spider, now with separate sprites for vertical and horizontal movement (thanks to Paul)
  • new objects: torch, talisman, the sword and keys are now animated (thanks to Paul)
  • new sparkly diamonds (thanks to Paul)
  • modified walls to be more stone and less brick
  • new doors
  • ladders, laser beams, ...

Current versions here:

Montezuma's Redux (final).xex  (6/9/2020 - Final version, with ending)

Montezuma's Redux (2020).xex

Montezuma's Redux (2020)(R2).xex  (1/7/2020 - Bug fix + update)

image.thumb.png.98e57a7a4c2c24aab943fc7ec7ac81ad.pngimage.png.ef445977bd7eb32d72c04ffc6135b89f.png

image.png.8055bb8a90087375bc6a00fe8d35ea85.pngimage.png.47997bacdc613c27fbbe27f33aeadf28.pngimage.png.9a3510d6c61b45bdb4fca2fa5745b1cb.pngimage.png.3303a8e12fd060102cc87996f8379e8a.pngimage.png.4cc1a68ba1c6d324adf5eab3bd90dbe6.png

Edited by TIX
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, TIX said:

Hehe.. see what I did with the title  ?

Alright time for another redux.

A year ago I started hacking the game, I had the sprites ready, but then I got involved with a team working on a sequel of sorts.. so i had to put them in storage.

Unfortunately the project didn't advanced, so long story short the Montezuma hack was back !

I collaborated once again with uber coder Paul Lay @rensoup, his support and tools made all this possible. I consider Paul the other half of the redux team ?

We based the hack on the bug fixed version of the game by @ascrnet !

Argh I made a crucial mistake..  of course Paul Lay is @playsoft  and not @rensoup   

both good friends of mine, I hate to upset you guys, I'm sorry !

edit:  FIXED !!  ?

Edited by TIX
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TIX said:
  • ladders, laser beams, ...

Private Hudson : I'm ready, man, check it out. I am the *ultimate* badass! State of the badass art! You do not wanna fuck with me. Check it out! Hey Ripley, don't worry. Me and my squad of ultimate badasses will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phased plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...

Edited by zbyti
  • Haha 2

Such wonderful updates!

however as I play I can't help but think

European explorer visits Panama's realm.... or is a miner digging in Panama's caves... one things for certain... he shouldn't have trouble 'sniffing' out danger ? what a honker!

Edited by _The Doctor__

3 hours ago, Yaron Nir said:

The main character revamp kinda reminds me of rick dangerous ?

I second that. Replace the skulls with rocks and the snakes with bombs.. there you have it. A really cool work, once again!

Edited by Yautja
  • Like 1

729866867_MontezumaRedux3.png.2d3933af0ab672b5df5b7575de52607e.png

12 hours ago, TIX said:

new spider, now with separate sprites for vertical and horizontal movement (thanks to Paul)

I found that only 1 spider is working at a time with the new vertical motion:

Also in the very original version, there is a lack of symmetry in the right panel, with the score and extra lives:

How it is now:

100119588_MontezumaRedux1.png.3d708626f270988f32e6fce1061c756e.png

A possibility of how the original should have been: 7 spaces for numbers, and lives and score both aligned to the right:

1376653385_MontezumaRedux2.png.790ccb8c90e85d8738d8b14a065ea348.png

Montezuma Redux 3b.png

Edited by tane
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for all the encouragement ! I really appreciate it !

We have an update, in the 1st post you'll find revision 2:  https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=745170

it includes Paul's fix for the spider bug, plus an improved sliding down explorer frame from me  ?

Hey ! we have a mention of our effort in Indie Retro News  ?

• Thanks 1

Hi, I was a bit skeptical at the first look, but it plays pretty nice and it really takes only couple minutes to start enjoying this version.

Key animations were not my favorite, but I got used to them.

I have found another place where 2 spiders acted weirdly (switched to vertical animation even they were moving horizontally only)... but I would need to try rev2 whether it is ok now.

My only suggestion would be to tune up the floor colors, sometimes they are causing numbers to be weirdly fluffy (for example the light green in your very first screenshot).

Nice work!

2 minutes ago, matosimi said:

My only suggestion would be to tune up the floor colors, sometimes they are causing numbers to be weirdly fluffy (for example the light green in your very first screenshot).

Nice work!

Thanks man !

I agree on the suggestion ! I have thought of just using red and blue on the letters, thus keeping their color constant between screens..

will see !

I like the colors and the fact they changed, much less boring.

Game players seem to like it and aesthetically I agree with the gamers on this one.

Some might from technical stand point know why and have some aversion to it...

Edited by _The Doctor__