IGNORED

Early 800 bragging rights...

jamm

Part of me tempted on this, the other part of me is rolling its eyes super hard...

An 800 just got listed on eBay that would place it very near the top of the serial number thread: 47th week of 1979

Not in perfect shape, but far from the worst I've seen.

I found a few on the US fleabay.

Not this one is it?  The others all had 6 digit serials in the 3-400,000 range.

And a couple had the box pictured with "48K" prominent which indicates it's later on.

I had no idea they used silver boxes that look almost like the XL boxes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-800-Home-Computer-Complete-in-Box-CIB-4-Untested/233498527841?hash=item365d98c861:g:OPoAAOSwHB5eS0Yl

1 minute ago, Rybags said:

I found a few on the US fleabay.

Not this one is it?  The others all had 6 digit serials in the 3-400,000 range.

And a couple had the box pictured with "48K" prominent which indicates it's later on.

I had no idea they used silver boxes that look almost like the XL boxes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-800-Home-Computer-Complete-in-Box-CIB-4-Untested/233498527841?hash=item365d98c861:g:OPoAAOSwHB5eS0Yl

Different one - see my last post.

1 minute ago, Rybags said:

Yep. The one we bought as a kid had that same box, as does one I found in-box a few years ago locally. Sadly, the one I found has a box in much worse condition but still a nice bit of nostalgia.

That one popped up but didn't look very old.

Looks like a bit of damage, you can see exposed PS board in the side shot and what looks like the beginnings of a wasps nest in the serial port (does the PS board live outside the metal shielding? )

Edited by Rybags

4 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Looks like a bit of damage, you can see exposed PS board in the side shot and what looks like the beginnings of a wasps nest in the serial port (does the PS board live outside the metal shielding? )

Definitely some damage.  Doesn't that serial number make it a November 1979 machine, though?

1 minute ago, jamm said:

Definitely some damage.  Doesn't that serial number make it a November 1979 machine, though?

Yes, and so too does the handwritten label underneath with “11/21” written on it. These stickers are common on Sunnyvale-made 400’s and 800’s. The month-day annotation at the end usually corresponds with the date codes on serial numbers and (when they have it), the engravings in the plastic case bottoms.

2 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

If this is so early why is it inked 472?  I forget when they started the WWY coding.  

Oh, you’re right. I just glanced at the ink in the last photo while being distracted by the handwritten label below - the glare obscures a lot of detail and I just assumed that top loop was a “9” but after looking more closely, and seeing the previous photo without the glare, it’s a “2.”. Not such an early example after all. 

2 hours ago, jamm said:

I'm wary of being seen as promoting these things, since I have nothing to do with them, but here's the auction in question:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-800-The-Programmer-Computer-System-w-Box-Manuals-Vintage-Rare/124241256171

Don't worry about it, 99% of people will presume its just you showing us something interesting, which it is...

Also as seen, without the link there can be confusion...

Cheers..

3 hours ago, Rybags said:

Is it me, or do bugs particularly like 800s?  I found a dead spider under the CPU in one of mine, and I think the other one was a dead pill  bug.  So wasps doesn't surprise me at all.

48 minutes ago, BillC said:

The serial number label indicates a manufacture date of 47th week of 1982.

Correct (I actually saw it days ago, and noticed immediately by reading the serial# decal).

Overall, it seemed to me like just a pile of crap. Sorry for saying it, but someone had to. ?

Much, much better units on eBay, right now.

Edited by Faicuai

?

so long as it works and the keyboard is good to go... it's a good machine... just not at that price... Wood case leather accoutrements... why that could be a Rolls-Royce  if someone wanted to class it up :)

Maybe some chrome... yeah and ....

Edited by _The Doctor__

I'm building a time machine, but I need 1979 or earlier $100 bills to bring back with me to purchase some brand new 800s and then bring them back to the future. Any takers?

P.S. also looking for good deal on a Delorean.

?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1