IGNORED

Early 800 bragging rights...

jamm

They aren't substantially more brittle, just packed extremely more poorly... do you remember how the form fitted Styrofoam cradles the 800 and the power supply is held securely away at a safe distance. It isn't that hard to make a firm shipping cage with Styrofoam, but very few people do so... they seem to gravitate towards soft fill for some reason... no matter how much is used it slowly collapses and everything becomes missiles including the Atari itself. Same thing happens to 810 drives.... any of these items will act like they've been thrown in a washing machine if soft fill is used, no matter how much. Trying to express this even to the best of Atarians can be difficult. I always suggest styrofoam sheets and even building a cardboard box around the drive or computer. then styro then the shipping box. Be straight up about how you want it packed... explain it won't be worth anything if shipped in any other way.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, mytek said:

I'm building a time machine, but I need 1979 or earlier $100 bills to bring back with me to purchase some brand new 800s and then bring them back to the future. Any takers?

P.S. also looking for good deal on a Delorean.

?

Sure, I'll take one please. I do have a nice one now though, but would love to have the box and stuff again. ?

16 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

The Delorean isn't built for that, it's built like a tank and is perfect for time travel, it can hit the finish line before you touch the gas pedal. :)

I can beat it 0-60 therefore I can hit 88MPH faster and travel back in time 1st!

14 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I can beat it 0-60 therefore I can hit 88MPH faster and travel back in time 1st!

If Back to the Future was made now, and they put the flux capacitor in a Tesla, how would they write the plot of needing more road to get to 88 MPH? 

Also, since that movie, why don't we use the 0-88mph scale?

Edited by leech
  • Haha 1

I had a GTC Turbo III and I put a cheap clutch in it. BIG mistake. I was in 3rd gear going up a hill and STEPPED ON IT and twisted the center out of the clutch disc.

I looked up the Shelby part# and ordered exactly that pressure plate and disc. NO problems after that.

3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

They aren't substantially more brittle, just packed extremely more poorly... do you remember how the form fitted Styrofoam cradles the 800 and the power supply is held securely away at a safe distance. It isn't that hard to make a firm shipping cage with Styrofoam, but very few people do so... they seem to gravitate towards soft fill for some reason... no matter how much is used it slowly collapses and everything becomes missiles including the Atari itself. Same thing happens to 810 drives.... any of these items will act like they've been thrown in a washing machine if soft fill is used, no matter how much. Trying to express this even to the best of Atarians can be difficult. I always suggest styrofoam sheets and even building a cardboard box around the drive or computer. then styro then the shipping box. Be straight up about how you want it packed... explain it won't be worth anything if shipped in any other way.

Correct.

Extremely poorly packed.

I have shipped them myself... and I've also seen how not to pack these, from the one I've received. 

57 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Nope you don't have the structure for it. Time travel rips stuff apart and it is frosty cold.

Fun times, gonna watch the movie(s) again... just 'cause we can. I figure we can let Einstein sit in for the race.

1 hour ago, Faicuai said:

Correct.

Extremely poorly packed.

I have shipped them myself... and I've also seen how not to pack these, from the one I've received. 

I am still playing with the idea of shipping mine off to you for repair, but haven't had much time to even think about it much.  Definitely worried about it getting smashed or lost or something.

Worse packaging I ever saw was a 7800 I got early this year, that thing was just cracked to hell and back.  May just design a new case and 3d print one.

9 hours ago, leech said:

I am still playing with the idea of shipping mine off to you for repair, but haven't had much time to even think about it much.  Definitely worried about it getting smashed or lost or something.

Worse packaging I ever saw was a 7800 I got early this year, that thing was just cracked to hell and back.  May just design a new case and 3d print one.

just post the motherboard powerboard and personality/ram cards 

10 hours ago, leech said:

As mentioned above, you may also consider a minimal-risk alternative, which would entail shipping (at least) your MoBo and CPU card (since I ONLY work with 800's and 800XL's, I have pretty much every other system component or module required, including keyboards, spare Incognitos, etc.). However, if you are already questioning other components on your end, they should be included on the shipment, as well.

That should give you peace of mind (and lower shipping costs, for sure).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Faicuai said:

As mentioned above, you may also consider a minimal-risk alternative, which would entail shipping (at least) your MoBo and CPU card (since I ONLY work with 800's and 800XL's, I have pretty much every other system component or module required, including keyboards, spare Incognitos, etc.). However, if you are already questioning other components on your end, they should be included on the shipment, as well.

That should give you peace of mind (and lower shipping costs, for sure).

Yeah, at least I know the Incognito in is working.  It wasn't until I installed the SCCC that it had any issues.  I'll test my theory out (assuming I can find time again) and see if that fixes it.  If not, I'll figure something out and send it off.