IGNORED

XEGS Cassette boot on power up.

So I've started testing some of my other Atari's and never got around to the XEGS before. I'm not too familiar with it.

Upon power up it looks like its stuck on the cassette boot as if the START was held down. sometimes it works normal, most of the time not.

if I hit the reset it will boot into Basic or to the missile command like normal. the keyboard test works too for the START, OPTION, etc.?!?!?!?

Anyhow, my first suspect was the START switch being crap... I tried jamming on the button several times to release any oxidization (like a 1200xl keyboard) but no good.

Then I tried un-soldering the switch, this B@#C#%s melts!!!... ok, I got the switch out and fixed the switch... set that aside and expected the XEGS to boot into either basic with the keyboard or missile command. That did not happen.  Still having the same issue. Any ideas what to look for next?

if it was making it into basic or missile command... then you muffed the switch, thought it was fixed... and now it doesn't do as before. Then I'd go back to the switch.

After restoring things to how they were... then I'd replace the ROM with a know good one to start down the process.

Do you have a disk drive?

Edited by _The Doctor__

16 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

if it was making it into basic or missile command... then you muffed the switch, thought it was fixed... and now it doesn't do as before. Then I'd go back to the switch.

After restoring things to how they were... then I'd replace the ROM with a know good one to start down the process.

Do you have a disk drive?

Yes, It boots the disk after I reset the machine. If you re-read my post I un-soldered the switch and it was removed. it was acting this way before I touched the switch and after it was removed. so im sure the switch isnt the issue.. I'm guessing the GTIA might be going flakey?!?!? No chips seem to get especially hot.

Edited by Stormbringer

It sure could be the GTIA, but the ROM is notorious for dying in storage on these. There is another couple of things that normally need doing...

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/284673-tech-tipp-strange-behavior-of-an-atari-xegs-and-solution/?tab=comments#comment-4149229

strange and inconsistent start ups and kr are normally the two outlined in that thread, ROM, keyboard support chips, pokey... in that order.

of course swapping whatever you have handy is what I'd do first, as it cost nothing but time and maybe solder...

as always blow up images so as to absolutely see where end of SMD's and other components actually touch and terminate.

Edited by _The Doctor__