IGNORED

*New* pictures of our Atari 8-bit setups

TapperP

So, roughly 7 years after being forced to sell off pretty much all of my retro stuff, I'm now in a better place and have spent the last year slowly building thing back up a little. I still have a 600XL that I owned from new and the A1200 is mine (found in my parents attic - so it survived the cull). Thanks to some lucky finds (the Philips monitor was listed as local pick up 10 mins up the road and went cheap) and buying broken items and fixing them up I now have my very own man cave!

IMG_0850.thumb.jpeg.a1c4bf5f18fcb8d7d58e6ffac3466e07.jpeg

Just behind this is my (small) workbench. Just big enough for repairs and upgrades:

IMG_0851.thumb.jpeg.5163053502746daafb4a6484293788ae.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, spookt said:

So, roughly 7 years after being forced to sell off pretty much all of my retro stuff, I'm now in a better place and have spent the last year slowly building thing back up a little. I still have a 600XL that I owned from new and the A1200 is mine (found in my parents attic - so it survived the cull). Thanks to some lucky finds (the Philips monitor was listed as local pick up 10 mins up the road and went cheap) and buying broken items and fixing them up I now have my very own man cave!

IMG_0850.thumb.jpeg.a1c4bf5f18fcb8d7d58e6ffac3466e07.jpeg

Just behind this is my (small) workbench. Just big enough for repairs and upgrades:

IMG_0851.thumb.jpeg.5163053502746daafb4a6484293788ae.jpeg

Sweet, Sweet, Sweet.  Don't ban me now.

• Like 1

My little work/game corner.

IMG_20210227_163555.thumb.jpg.81474a3447e8c505e3cc100668f5beba.jpg

A nice large table, a Commodore monitor, 2 Atari 800xl's (1 PAL, 1 NTSC, in front of the monitor), AVGCART, what else could I ask for? :D 

The Commodore 128 and the Atari 2600 have been put away since that photo, but the remaining is more or less the same.
Off camera on the left is random tools and cleaning products, and several Commodore 64's in pieces, project currently dormant but that's another thing I do during my free time :P 

Edited by VinsCool
Addendum
  • Like 4

Welcome to my office.  Here's my setup; it needs a bit of explanation, but the substitute for a thousand words first:

IMG_0119.thumb.jpg.34773c0edeed9b063bfc63826e3c6d2f.jpg

The 7800 is completely stock; the 800XL has a 256KB upgrade and a #FujiNet.  As for the 1010, 1050 on the table, and 850, each one requires a power supply but works.  The 1030 has a power supply and is also working.  The 1050 on top of the filing cabinet has issues and is probably next in line for repair.  The cardboard box on top of it contains the Kryoflux that showed up today.

Not pictured: the 600XL, 1200XL, 5200, Jag, or STs.  This is as much space as I have for permanently-available machines; when I need to work on them, I'm doing it on top of the (electric) stove.  We're looking forward to moving to a considerably larger house.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dinadan67 said:

XEGS with U1MB, UAV, VBXE and PokeyMax connected via RGB-Scart cable to Commodore 1084 monitor. CRT rulez ?

xegs.jpeg

Which joystick is that? I would love to get one for my XEGS, BTW nice setup there as well.

Current.  Recently ST demoted to slide out shelf, and 130XE back in box so my favorite (800XL can be top center). 

IMG_2278.thumb.jpg.2bc59fda3e62567d039d8176d5cc23b2.jpg

IMG_2279.thumb.jpg.5a969c1ee3b706ebcec8995774aa9376.jpg

IMG_2280.thumb.jpg.099d29c65b08a94d8070d3f832df001b.jpg

From top down:

800XL with U1MB.  Side2, FujiNet on SIO sitting on 1050 (Happy) below deck (until someone makes a FujiNet drop in for 1030 modem case).

4160STE with UltraSatan.

Edladdin controller and 1050 (FujiNet on top).

7800 with s-video mod, Harmony cart.   Flashback 5, and ColecoVision Mini

Running on power strips with independently controlled outlets.

• Like 6

I am not married so I am not limited to what my setup can be.  I moved to North Dakota in January and finally got my stuff delivered March 5th and now have it setup. I have a very long living room and half of it is used up by computers. I' will go from right to left from the front door of the house. You can see the coat closet on the right side of the following pic and the front door is to the right of that.

I'll Start with the PC.  4 years ago it was the top of the line PC.  The only other thing to mention is the NAS. That little box that is down and to the right of the calendar hanging on the wall and has the SuperCard Pro  and paperwork on top (still need to get that setup).  It has 48 terabytes and stores all the Atari files and programs, among other things.

20210406_041724.thumb.jpg.31a7f60f9d4bfd674ed5b7cdd6d25839.jpg

To the left of the above station is another computer desk that hosts my Falcon and TT. The Falcon is a 14 Meg ram, 32 Gig PATA SSD with Blowup Video clone and a SyQuest EZ135 and a SyQuest 200 drive attached.  Net USB not pictured with it.  The TT is 10 meg ST ram and 32 meg TT Ram with a Cyrus video card and a 300 meg SCSI boot drive and a NETUSB.  Below the desk, you see a white tower (for details see this thread).  This is also attached to the TT. It has a SyQuest 44, SyQuest 88, SyQuest 200, SyQuest EZ135, SCSI CD and a SCSI2SD adapter.  The SCSI2SD is configured for 4 1 gig drives and 8 500 meg partitions.  I partition everything for TOS 1.04 for compatibility reasons.  And lastly, an I7 PC for use in transferring files between all my Atari's, 8-bit and ST.

20210406_041750.thumb.jpg.fd387a80c2f052231935f9b9c8f5accc.jpg

On the left end of the desk from the picture above you can see the library of SyQuest EZ135 and SyQuest 200 removeable HDs. You can Also see the USB cable coiled up on the left that goes to the SIO to PC for the 8-bit.  It gets plugged in when needed.

20210406_041803.thumb.jpg.4f705c198bd750701a4d020fd739c45f.jpg

The next 2 stations to the left are the 8-bit station and the Intellivision station.  My daily driver 8-bit is a CSS 320XE with US+ OS/Standard OS/FIXXL OS.  I cannot say enough about this computer. I would rather use this over my U1M 130xe.  Attached to it is a Commodore 1702 Monitor, Black Box, 400 megs of HD Space (yes real spinning HDs), DUAL SIO to PC, Happy 1050, Standard XF551 and a 720k XF551.  The little tower (more details in this thread) to the left of the station has 400 megs of Winchester HD space on 4 drives and two Adaptec 4070s.  I also built the stand that the monitor sits on.

To the left of that is my Intellivision station. Under the unit cover is a 2609A modified for component audio/video.  On top of the 2609A is the LTO Flash, a Multi-Cart for the Intellivision (Details here) To the left of that unit is an Intellivision flashback that has been modified to the Ultimate Flashback (details in this thread).

20210406_041818.thumb.jpg.1d3e33b219673fe2c04d9fc853ae7507.jpg

The next station to the left has a Mega ST and a Mega STE. The Mega ST on the left has the AdSpeed 16mhz upgrade with 4 megs ram and an ST to VGA video. Attached to it are the SyQuest EZ135 (still need a 3 1/2 faceplate) and a modified MegaFile 44.  The MF44 came to me with all the guts removed and an AdSCSI adapter installed in its place. I removed the 44 meg drive mechanism and replaced with it a 200 meg mech and added a SCSI2SD adapter on the second SCSI port (details for second port usage in this thread).  The SCSI2SD is configured for 4 1 gig drives and 8 500 meg partitions with one of them being the boot partition.  Man it boots fast.

The Mega STE has a 300 meg boot drive and 4 megs ram and an ST to VGA video. Attached by way of a Link 2 are the SyQuest EZ135 and SyQuest 200 with an added SCSI2SD adapter installed in the second bay.  The SCSI2SD is configure for 4 1 gig drives and 8 500 megs partitions.

20210406_041827.thumb.jpg.f50123463a571fcbf11db085cc4fa741.jpg

You may have noticed that all STs have SyQuest EZ135s and SyQuest 200s attached to them.  This makes it easier to transfer files between them.

One more thing to mention, The Atari and the Intellivision stations all have their own power strip to run those particular stations.  I do this so that only the station I am using has electricity running through it.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ripdubski said:

Current.  Recently ST demoted to slide out shelf, and 130XE back in box so my favorite (800XL can be top center). 

IMG_2278.thumb.jpg.2bc59fda3e62567d039d8176d5cc23b2.jpg

IMG_2279.thumb.jpg.5a969c1ee3b706ebcec8995774aa9376.jpg

IMG_2280.thumb.jpg.099d29c65b08a94d8070d3f832df001b.jpg

From top down:

800XL with U1MB.  Side2, FujiNet on SIO sitting on 1050 (Happy) below deck (until someone makes a FujiNet drop in for 1030 modem case).

4160STE with UltraSatan.

Edladdin controller and 1050 (FujiNet on top).

7800 with s-video mod, Harmony cart.   Flashback 5, and ColecoVision Mini

Running on power strips with independently controlled outlets.

The way you've got that slide out shelf is a really neat idea when most of us don't have the physical space to have all of our retro machines out at once, I like it! Good job.

Also, very nice gear!

• Like 1

Here my scruffy but working setup, there's other bits like disk drives but they are not on the desk as I use the SD-Max and the AVG for disks..

Nothing super special, U1MB XL, AVG and SD-Max, the wonderful 4 way SIO splitter with the DVI and AVG unbricker on display. All sat on top of my breadbin 64 which has the 1541++ out of sight in the back. Monitors are 1081 and a CM8852, note the super fancy switch fix for the 1081. I wish I could find a latch switch for it.

fjimg_24.jpg

And my little console setup to the right of the Atari stuff. All consoles modded bar the yet to be modded PS4 (soon)

Wire city...

fjimg_23.jpg

Lastly, yes I do own games, not everything is a copy :)

What you don't see is the million and one Blu-rays, I do love a blu-ray..

fjimg_25.jpg

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, massiverobot said:

My setup- 1088XEL with U1MB and DVI and FujiNet. Also my stock 800XL for testing and quick games. The 1020 floats between both of them. The 1030 will someday be used for the 1030FujiNet when it comes out...

IMG_5135.JPG

I am just now getting up to speed on Fujinet.  You mentioned that a 1030 version of Fujinet is in the works?

1 hour ago, gilsaluki said:

I am just now getting up to speed on Fujinet.  You mentioned that a 1030 version of Fujinet is in the works?

Sort of. Someone has designed a thru-hole version of the FN (current version is surface mount). And they are toying with the idea of leaving off the SIO port headers and leaving a header pin and make the board the right size to mount in the 1030, replacing the board in there. It's still a concept, but actively being talked about over in the FN Discord server...

On 7/1/2020 at 4:07 PM, gilsaluki said:

Everyone's setup is so nicely organized.  I try my best, but it still looks cluttered.  Can't seem to rid myself of stuff.  When I did sell stuff, I wish I hadn't a month later.  Then I spend double to get it back in the collection.  A sickness, I know.

Remember... Pretty setups usually mean they're not well "used/loved!" ;)

It's only a sickness if it doesn't bring you joy.  My Atari collection brings me joy.  Well, except that I don't have enough room for it all... so... I'll just move!

• Like 2

On 7/1/2020 at 7:13 PM, JamesS said:

20200701_175650.thumb.jpg.32fa34cd8a90c90031c930aa3c295ac5.jpg

Here is my setups.  The 800XL and the 2600 share a 32" flat screen TV I bought brand new for $50.

Found the 800XL when I was in a local used game store when I was looking for 2600 games. First one I've ever seen in the flesh.

Also have an Uno Cart and around 10 games for it.  Bought it before everything went to hell.  So far enjoying it.

I like the holder for the S Drive Max!

On 7/2/2020 at 11:37 AM, gilsaluki said:

A Tom Brady-themed 800XL and 1050.  Hummm.  Well, maybe not these days.  How'd those keys get so red?

No... that's the wrong question.

The real question is, how did you manage to keep/get the lettering on those keys so well?

That said, that color combination is an abomination against God and Man....... just saying....

But a "Darth Vader" with red keys...... Which I guess would make it a Darth Maul..... that could be something that finds it's way into my collection someday.

On 7/2/2020 at 1:14 PM, JayoK said:

Not so much a setup - I envy you guys. But this was my recent unpacking when stuck at home in this pandemic lock down.

setup now.jpg

First thought that comes to mind.... "Hey, you have a spare 1064!"

(Not that I'm calling dibs... I don't have a 600xl.  Not on my "wish list").

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tillek said:

First thought that comes to mind.... "Hey, you have a spare 1064!"

(Not that I'm calling dibs... I don't have a 600xl.  Not on my "wish list").

Yeah - I bought my 1st one as I always thought it was cool as a PBI device. Then I bought a 600XL and it came with one. I still love the notion of it

• Like 1

My 600XL complete with 64k upgrade, U1MB, SIDE3 and SDX. Also performed the chroma/luma mod to the monitor port and removed the RF modulator for the day I decide to upgrade to Sophia 2.

Just trying to work through an issue with fdisk not seeing my CF PBI HDD via SIDE3 and I'm all good to go.

ZQBHWPu.jpg

And my faithful C64 breadbin. Stock internally with the exception of the addition of the 1541 UII+ and a 500GB HDD, which brings a vast wrath of improvements to the system. Also have a user port WiFi modem fitted for Striketerm software 80 column VT102 sessions and an SD2IEC HDD.

GeKKfNQ.jpg

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Like 3

On 4/6/2021 at 11:59 AM, massiverobot said:

Sort of. Someone has designed a thru-hole version of the FN (current version is surface mount). And they are toying with the idea of leaving off the SIO port headers and leaving a header pin and make the board the right size to mount in the 1030, replacing the board in there. It's still a concept, but actively being talked about over in the FN Discord server...

While the idea sounds aesthetically-appealing, this is actually something I would prefer to see not happen.

It's safe to say that a 1030 - as a modem - has been obsolete for well over 30 years at this point.  However, its real value these days is not as a modem but as a quick-and-dirty SIO tester.  Connect it to an A8, let it load Modemlink from the 1030, et voilà - you now know that you've at least got working SIO as well as a few other things.  It even works on machines with 16K of RAM, and is highly-portable.

Similarly, there was a time when you couldn't give away 1064s.  A good number of them were gutted for their cases and the internals tossed away.  Now you practically can't find one for love or for money, and the competition for them when they do crop up is pretty solid.  If this happens to the 1030 (or any other peripheral, really), all it really serves to do is make building a system more difficult if someone wants to include one as part of that build.

Note that I say this as someone with a 256KB 800XL sporting a FujiNet on its SIO port.  I'm in no way opposed to system modifications, upgrades, or improvements.  But if we start looking at things like the 1030 as having no value beyond being a project case, all that's really going to end up happening is that there will be fewer of them out there in original working condition and prices going up for the ones that are.

• Like 1

Has that warm fuzzy feeling to it.  Love Epyx Joystick.  It's one of my favs.  Nice clickiness to it.  My grandson, just last night, saw (heard) me using one on a game.  He said, "Paw Paw, you're gonna break that joystick".  I told him the sound he was hearing were mechanical switches and that is the sound of victory.  He just replied, "Oh".

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BoatofCar said:

Here's my current setup. Stock 1200XL with an new membrane from Best installed by AA's own @bob1200xl

RMC Calendar Entry.png

May I ask, what game is that? Looks good.

Here's an updated shot of my 600XL with the screen running the correct aspect ratio, my lovely Pi400 in the background which I find I'm actually using more than my main workstation these days...

I can't eat Lotharek's candy on the monitor base as I'm diabetic. :(

DgvODhF.jpg

O2whgbM.jpg

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Like 2