IGNORED

*New* pictures of our Atari 8-bit setups

TapperP

2 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

I always liked the looks of the XEGS. Some hate it. I love the pastel buttons.  It's my daily driver.  Very easy to upgrade to 128K (130XE mode).  Other than that, leave it alone.

I love it's looks too. I wish the text on the buttons was easier to read. Easy upgrade to 128K? Interesting...Anyone use S-Video on the XEGS?

5 hours ago, Zeptari1 said:

I love it's looks too. I wish the text on the buttons was easier to read. Easy upgrade to 128K? Interesting...Anyone use S-Video on the XEGS?

Text easy to read (START, RESET, OPTION, etc.). What I did, and I cannot take credit for this as I saw this in an old Antic article; with a label maker, put labels (START, SELECT, RESET, OPTION) on the front edge of the console inline with the buttons so you can easily see them.  It works great.   

• Like 1

I added a IBM Model M (the world's BEST clicky keyboard) to my set up and I love it.  Use the MyTEK adapter to use a PS2 type keyboard and you'll be set.    https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/atari-800-xl-xe-xel-xld/products/tk-ii-xegs-s-ps-2-for-xegs-keyboard-replacement

As for video mods, it's a personal choice.  I find the video output from the XEGS to a CRT to be just fine for me.  Plus, it allows me to use the light gun and the Atari lightpen on a CRT.  I like it simple.

2 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

I added a IBM Model M (the world's BEST clicky keyboard) to my set up and I love it.  Use the MyTEK adapter to use a PS2 type keyboard and you'll be set.    https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/atari-800-xl-xe-xel-xld/products/tk-ii-xegs-s-ps-2-for-xegs-keyboard-replacement

As for video mods, it's a personal choice.  I find the video output from the XEGS to a CRT to be just fine for me.  Plus, it allows me to use the light gun and the Atari lightpen on a CRT.  I like it simple.

My video output is decent, I think I'll keep it as is for now. I was just curious if S-video would be a real benefit. 

Thanks for the keyboard adapter link and label idea! Speaking of labels, my ultimate cart label keeps falling off! Any idea's? Actually I'd like to replace the whole shell.

Ohh here's a couple pictures of my modern setup. The first one with my Grandson was taken about 2 years ago. Big thumbs up for Montezuma's Revenge! And the 2nd picture was taken a couple days ago.

grandson playing XEGS.jpg

myXEGS-setup 4-8-2021.jpg

• Like 5

On 4/8/2021 at 12:06 AM, Mazzspeed said:

My 600XL complete with 64k upgrade, U1MB, SIDE3 and SDX. Also performed the chroma/luma mod to the monitor port and removed the RF modulator for the day I decide to upgrade to Sophia 2.

Just trying to work through an issue with fdisk not seeing my CF PBI HDD via SIDE3 and I'm all good to go.

ZQBHWPu.jpg

My man!  So glad to see another TAC-2 joystick user.  It is the only joystick I used back in the day and the only one I use now for my 130XE and STE.  Remember buying several from the old Service Merchandise stores back in the day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

My man!  So glad to see another TAC-2 joystick user.  It is the only joystick I used back in the day and the only one I use now for my 130XE and STE.  Remember buying several from the old Service Merchandise stores back in the day.

You know what's really funny about that?

I've owned that joystick since I was in high school, I swapped it for something off a school mate, and I always hated it - It was unresponsive and just bloody awful, I understand why my mate was so keen to swap it.

Anyway, I've had it for probably 30 years now and just put up with the fact it sucked until a couple of months ago when I decided to buff the contact pads inside the unit as well as the steel shaft that forms part of the contact mechanism - I also cleaned and buffed the steel contact washers under the fire buttons...

...What a difference! Furthermore, the contacts looked fine, I was sure what I did would achieve nothing. It's now the best joystick I've ever used, and to think I was about 1 day away from lobbing it in the bin!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

You know what's really funny about that?

I've owned that joystick since I was in high school, I swapped it for something off a school mate, and I always hated it - It was unresponsive and just bloody awful, I understand why my mate was so keen to swap it.

Anyway, I've had it for probably 30 years now and just put up with the fact it sucked until a couple of months ago when I decided to buff the contact pads inside the unit as well as the steel shaft that forms part of the contact mechanism - I also cleaned and buffed the steel contact washers under the fire buttons...

...What a difference! Furthermore, the contacts looked fine, I was sure what I did would achieve nothing. It's now the best joystick I've ever used, and to think I was about 1 day away from lobbing it in the bin!

Haha, yeah there a lot of opinions about it.  Some people definitely don't like the short throw on it and lack of microswitches like the Epyx/Konix 500XJ has.  But it is the best one for me.  I have completed so many games using them on both 8-bit and 16-bit.  And yes, a good cleaning of the contacts is very helpful considering the age of the joysticks. 

Nice overall setup you have!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, 8bitguy1 said:

Here is mine:

image1.jpeg

YOU HAVE A PLUG?

Where the F did you get a PLUG!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

Damn it man, tell me where you got the PLUG!!!!!!!!!

(Seriously, great setup, I just found the focus on this one kinda funny).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sugarland said:

Keep in mind that labels may slow or stop the case yellowing underneath and when eventually peeled off will show an obvious coloration difference.

Not sure if you're referring to my setup or not but the only label I have on there is on the black Dell keyboard, which covers up the Dell logo and probably won't ever be coming off.  Someday I'll hunt for a nice grey clicky PS2 keyboard.

2 hours ago, 8bitguy1 said:

Not sure if you're referring to my setup or not but the only label I have on there is on the black Dell keyboard, which covers up the Dell logo and probably won't ever be coming off.  Someday I'll hunt for a nice grey clicky PS2 keyboard.

Talking about labels on Atari cases.

Loving all the setups, sigh, Tac 2, I used to have one but it was lost along with the rest of my gear, I do have its younger brother / sister, the Starfighter which is pretty much the same except for a single button. Just feels right for games etc..

Before all my gear went I sold an XEGS to the newly setup retro shop version of Computer exchange / CEX as its now know (awful name), I liked the xegs but I needed money at the time and was stunned when the clearly lack of retro knowledge manager offered me 150.00 for it (at least 25+ years ago) which I took with a smile on my face and left, the guy had to be shown how to work it which I happily did.

Needless to say the retro version of CEX folded not long after...

I'd love to have an XEGS back because of how funky they are but ce la vie (?).

Edited by Mclaneinc
typing, as always..

32 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Loving all the setups, sigh, Tac 2, I used to have one but it was lost along with the rest of my gear, I do have its younger brother / sister, the Starfighter which is pretty much the same except for a single button. Just feels right for games etc..

Before all my gear went I sold an XEGS to the newly setup retro shop version of Computer exchange / CEX as its now know (awful name), I liked the xegs but I needed money at the time and was stunned when the clearly lack of retro knowledge manager offered me 150.00 for it (at least 25+ years ago) which I took with a smile on my face and left, the guy had to be shown how to work it which I happily did.

The double fire buttons on the TAC2 are actually really handy, when one trigger finger tires, you swap to the other and back again one the original finger has recovered.

2 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

The XEGS has turned out to be my most reliable A8 system, and I Do love those buttons.  Just wait, pastels are coming back big time.  Miami Vice-style, baby.