IGNORED

*New* pictures of our Atari 8-bit setups

TapperP

Reconfigured my setup with a Dell 2007WFPb 16:9 IPS monitor set to 1536x960 4:3 resolution using Sophia 2, which seems to scale perfectly using ACP as a guide. The Sharp TV had a function whereby it automatically dimmed the backlight depending on activity on the screen, which made using something like ICE-T difficult as the display would dim as soon as I went into terminal mode - All fixed now.

beOeBTv.jpg

mjz4H2N.jpg

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Like 5

On 4/11/2021 at 8:57 AM, gilsaluki said:

I always liked the looks of the XEGS. Some hate it. I love the pastel buttons.  It's my daily driver.  Very easy to upgrade to 128K (130XE mode).  Other than that, leave it alone.

The pastel buttons was about the only thing that made me "hate" it, I never liked them, they were even out of style by the time the XE game system was released in '87. I remember thinking back then that it looked soo 1983-4. I already had owned a 130XE for two years by then, so I wasn't interested in the same thing with half the memory in a different box, separate keyboard or not (which I think is a very cool aspect of it). But I also hated the placement of the buttons and cart port on top. I know it's meant to be a console first, and computer second, but I don't respect that when it was already a computer first, for nearly a decade. And even a repeat of itself as a console in most respects in regards to the 5200. I wanted that area to set a monitor on top! I have thought about buying one and customizing it like I like to do these days though, make it into the 'Mega XE' I see it as being and wished it always was (especially with an U1MB in it!). I would have bought one of those back in the day! But I'll certainly never leave it alone as-is if I do ever happen upon one. Sorry...:P

Edited by Gunstar

Ha, Cart ports should always be on top!  Or the 1200xl where they are on tge left, but out of sight!  65/130XE is rather annoying as they dangle a bit too much (cursed gravity!)  C64 doesn't seem to dangle as much because it is further in than the XEs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leech said:

Ha, Cart ports should always be on top!  Or the 1200xl where they are on tge left, but out of sight!  65/130XE is rather annoying as they dangle a bit too much (cursed gravity!)  C64 doesn't seem to dangle as much because it is further in than the XEs. 

I actually prefer a rear/side mounted cart location, the cart sticking out the top is oddly intrusive IMO.

It would have been nice if Atari had have designed the XEGS in a way that it could be used in 'Pizza box' configuration. That way you'd have all the benefits of a stand alone console if desired, or the quite popular for the time Pizza box configuration with the monitor on top of the main unit.

1 hour ago, leech said:

While I disagree about them being on top, if the machine's main intent is a computer, and not a console in front of the TV. Without looking like a computer with the keyboard like the 600/800XL's, I don't think consoles with keyboards look good either, for their purpose. For me the 600/800XL looked out of place in either duty. I am an avid 1200XL fan and owner, and the placement of the cartridge port, controller ports and console keys is what made me fall in love with it. To me the 600/800XL's managed to make a very modern and sleek design style ugly. And my first Atari was a 130XE, and yes, I hated the rear cartridge port too. The 1200XL, to me, was the perfect placement and I love the recess to either hide one cart, or at least not look as bad with two piggy-backed. So all I had to do was upgrade my 1200XL with a PBI port and I was in heaven.|:)

I do like the hidden cart ports of the 400/800 much better than either 600/800XL or XE port placement, though it looks even uglier than a 600/800XL if you have to rig it so the door is open for piggy-backing or tall carts. I love my 800 too (but also had to give it a PBI;)), but I have issues with it too with controller port and other port placement and have modified it too "fix" that too, except for the front controller ports. I'm living with them. But I believe the 1200XL to be the over-all best style and still a quality build, in the 8-bit line, with the one issue of no PBI (but then the XEGS also lacks this-so I'd have to give it one too.:cool:)

I'm the same way with modern devices too. I'd never have a desktop or tower PC connected to an entertainment center in a living/family room or man cave gaming area, but something like the new AtariVCS that is small and portable I can use in both scenarios. And if I start using a console, like my Dreamcast or Xbox (any gen)with a mouse and keyboard a lot (for online gaming etc.), it get's moved to a desktop and a monitor.

Of course all of this is subjective opinion and we've all made our choices as to what we prefer for looks and design, with only a sprinkle of logical reasoning why, so more power to us all!

Edited by Gunstar

• 1 year later...
On 5/2/2021 at 4:09 PM, moonlight_mile said:

Well after some reorganization here is my desk with all my toys.

c66a8c5f340297a14cc517268f04a04d.jpg

It's been re arranged again, so we need a new glamor shot with the Atari's playing and sequencing along side your playing. The record player is missing!

• Like 2

Here is a picture of my current Atari 800xl setup. It's sharing a desk, and monitor, with an Apple //c+. If you look closely at the //c+ you can see a FujiApple sticking up out of the back. The monitor is a 12" LCD from Reactive Micro that has HDMI and A/V input, along with a couple others. I use the A/V for the 800xl and the HDMI for the Apple //c+. As you can see the 800xl has a Side3 Cartridge plugged into the catridge slot and a S-Drive Max plugged int the SIO port on the right side. I've also got the catridge version of Alternate Reality: the Dungeon.

What you don't see in the picture is a Dell monitor that I'll use with the 800xl after I get a UAV card installed sometime in the next two or three weeks, so I can use S-Video output. I've also got 26 other catridges that I bought before getting the Side3, including the new Adventure II that I bought from Atari Age. I tried to plug the S-Drive Max into an Atari 400 I was given a few months ago by a friend. There was a problem with the SIO port and the Side3 really didn't like the 400 either, so I bought an 800xl from eBay for $150. That's the computer in the picture.

IMG_1318.jpg

• Like 1