Jump to content
TapperP

*New* pictures of our Atari 8-bit setups

Recommended Posts

Are gut shots permitted ?

 

This after spending the better half of the afternoon and rest of the night carefully installing my U1Mb and VBXE.

 

Now on to the RGB cable.

 

20210501_001341.thumb.jpg.9a0293682dd637855e92d44b4a9b65c2.jpg

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

some excellent set-ups shown, i also have the 800,810 & 410 would like to get them in use, but space is my problem.... lack of it! keep snapping pics guys, looking through your systems is interesting, and the enjoyment these machines still provide is timeless....

 

long live   A T A R I  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, space is an issue for many of us, as much as I'd love a single room dedicated to my retro love, I like many have limited space. In my case it's our bedroom from which I grab a corner of it for my gear. It's so bad I use my wardrobe for stuff, there not a single bit of clothing in it :)

 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, moonlight_mile said:

Well after some reorganization here is my desk with all my toys.


c66a8c5f340297a14cc517268f04a04d.jpg

Now that's a screen! Floppy drives much? Nice setup!

 

Doesn't the ST monitor on the shelf give you a sore neck?

 

EDIT: And I see Lotharek candy!

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Now that's a screen! Floppy drives much? Nice setup!
 
Doesn't the ST monitor on the shelf give you a sore neck?
 
EDIT: And I see Lotharek candy!

The st monitor does work My neck a bit which is why I am really trying to find a solution to get it on the tv. But till I do it works.

It fits perfectly in those ikea shelves.

Yup. That is the last bit of lotharek candy. I got some from the guy who I got the fujinet from but I gave that to my wife.

My wimodem is supposed to be here tomorrow. I hope it doesn’t get delayed. If it does I will have to work on installing my ps5 into my ent center. The entertainment center isn’t as tight on space as my Atari desk is. Lol.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, moonlight_mile said:


The st monitor does work My neck a bit which is why I am really trying to find a solution to get it on the tv. But till I do it works.

It fits perfectly in those ikea shelves.

Yup. That is the last bit of lotharek candy. I got some from the guy who I got the fujinet from but I gave that to my wife.

My wimodem is supposed to be here tomorrow. I hope it doesn’t get delayed. If it does I will have to work on installing my ps5 into my ent center. The entertainment center isn’t as tight on space as my Atari desk is. Lol.

WiModem232's are awesome, I've been using one on my A1200 for years and it's never missed a beat. Although for some bizarre reason I can't get it working with a WYSE terminal I have here, perhaps I need a modem cable with the TXD and RXD lines crossed over?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I have put our home up for sale and are planning to downsize and build again. This time around, we're hoping to build over a full basement. It took some wheeling and dealing, and a good deal of crying, begging and threatening, but I finally got her to agree that I get an area inside the house to myself, not just my workshop area of the garage. So, if we wind up building over a basement, I get a bedroom-sized room for myself and get to decorate it as I choose, within reason, of course. So, I'll have a room big enough for my main modern gaming rig, as well as my 8-bit and 16-bit Ataris, and probably a sofa, coffee table and wall-mounted LED TV and surround sound system. There may even be room for a standup-multi-arcade cabinet if I ever get around to buying or building one.

 

My wife's only stipulations on the decorating was that it couldn't be tacky, so no 70s/80s living room recreations, which I wouldn't want anyway, and to quote my wife, "No big boobed video game warrior women!" Honestly, I can see decorating with a few framed classic sci-fi/fantasy/adventure movie posters, then bookshelves to display a lof of my books and maybe a few old spaceship models. The main thing would be that my Ataris would have a spot to sit out permanently.

 

Now we just need to wait until building materials prices come down to something approaching normal.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2021 at 6:48 PM, moonlight_mile said:

The st monitor does work My neck a bit which is why I am really trying to find a solution to get it on the tv. But till I do it works.
 

Depending on how much you're willing to spend, an OSSC really can't be beat for getting an ST/STe to display via HDMI. You can use a VGA switch to output all three resolutions to an OSSC via VGA. If you don't plan to use high resolution, the Cool Novelties RGB SCART cable can't be beat. It only works for the color modes, but low and medium resolution are absolutely crystal clear and beautiful.

 

You can pickup an OSSC from videogameperfection for about $135 USD plus shipping. The Cool Novelties RGB SCART cables are about $24 apiece. You need to specify whether you need one for ST or STE.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My tiny but working setup.

 

Yes, there is a fully tuned Mac Mini, which is perfect for running RespeQt, Atari800MacX, and cc65.

 

I had so many plans how to create a much nicer workplace but time is too tight to mention ...

20210516_193359.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bfollowell said:

My wife and I have put our home up for sale and are planning to downsize and build again. This time around, we're hoping to build over a full basement. It took some wheeling and dealing, and a good deal of crying, begging and threatening, but I finally got her to agree that I get an area inside the house to myself, not just my workshop area of the garage. So, if we wind up building over a basement, I get a bedroom-sized room for myself and get to decorate it as I choose, within reason, of course. So, I'll have a room big enough for my main modern gaming rig, as well as my 8-bit and 16-bit Ataris, and probably a sofa, coffee table and wall-mounted LED TV and surround sound system. There may even be room for a standup-multi-arcade cabinet if I ever get around to buying or building one.

 

My wife's only stipulations on the decorating was that it couldn't be tacky, so no 70s/80s living room recreations, which I wouldn't want anyway, and to quote my wife, "No big boobed video game warrior women!" Honestly, I can see decorating with a few framed classic sci-fi/fantasy/adventure movie posters, then bookshelves to display a lof of my books and maybe a few old spaceship models. The main thing would be that my Ataris would have a spot to sit out permanently.

 

Now we just need to wait until building materials prices come down to something approaching normal.

 

Tell her there is a compromise to the decorating...... A closed door! ;)  But don't waste valuable space on something like a sofa.  I'm sure she'd let you have one of those in the living room!

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bfollowell said:

Depending on how much you're willing to spend, an OSSC really can't be beat for getting an ST/STe to display via HDMI. You can use a VGA switch to output all three resolutions to an OSSC via VGA. If you don't plan to use high resolution, the Cool Novelties RGB SCART cable can't be beat. It only works for the color modes, but low and medium resolution are absolutely crystal clear and beautiful.

 

You can pickup an OSSC from videogameperfection for about $135 USD plus shipping. The Cool Novelties RGB SCART cables are about $24 apiece. You need to specify whether you need one for ST or STE.

 

So I assume you go SCART to HDMI or whatnot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Tillek said:

So I assume you go SCART to HDMI or whatnot?

 

Well, SCART to OSSC, then HDMI out from OSSC to TV/monitor HDMI input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

 

Well, SCART to OSSC, then HDMI out from OSSC to TV/monitor HDMI input.

Ok.... thought that was a little too easy for a $24 solution. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Ok.... thought that was a little too easy for a $24 solution. ;)

 

 

Yeah, I meant the cable, along with the OSSC, so about $160 plus shipping total. It's probably about the best you can get right now though, and you can use it with other devices, if that's a need. Sorry for the confusion. I should've been more clear.

 

Edited by bfollowell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Depending on how much you're willing to spend, an OSSC really can't be beat for getting an ST/STe to display via HDMI. You can use a VGA switch to output all three resolutions to an OSSC via VGA. If you don't plan to use high resolution, the Cool Novelties RGB SCART cable can't be beat. It only works for the color modes, but low and medium resolution are absolutely crystal clear and beautiful.
 
You can pickup an OSSC from videogameperfection for about $135 USD plus shipping. The Cool Novelties RGB SCART cables are about $24 apiece. You need to specify whether you need one for ST or STE.
 

Yup. I got an OSSC. It works great on color. I just haven’t gotten it dialed in on hi res. But i doubt I will be doing anything on hi res.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

 

Yeah, I meant the cable, along with the OSSC, so about $160 plus shipping total. It's probably about the best you can get right now though, and you can use it with other devices, if that's a need. Sorry for the confusion. I should've been more clear.

 

Nah, it's cool.... Actually was going to be going the OSSC route soon, but I've made a promise to myself to finish one project that I bought stuff for before starting another.

 

So this weekend, it's the 2nd U1MB, XF551 to 3.5 conversion, Natural Disaster pack in the TT030 and setting up the OBI 200.

 

Given that it's 5:15pm on Sunday and I haven't even started, it's not looking good. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, atarixle said:

My tiny but working setup.

 

Yes, there is a fully tuned Mac Mini, which is perfect for running RespeQt, Atari800MacX, and cc65.

 

I had so many plans how to create a much nicer workplace but time is too tight to mention ...

20210516_193359.jpg

Nice set up. At least yours still has the little front flap on the 1084. Mine disappeared years ago when I had my A500.. I wish I had not thrown it out when it broke. Those Amiga monitors are the best to be honest, still plenty of spare parts around to repair these things when they break, easy to maintain.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, it looks like that but it's actually not there (it is in the basement, had it in my hand when lately, but decided to keep it there).

 

My uncle has the same monitor in nearly brand new condition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recently re-arranged my little "monstrosity", in preparation of Fujinet (and future NTSC / PAL convergence):

 

067D735F-2B3F-4CEF-9967-4EBC13C59FCE.thumb.jpeg.757b57879d75efe20ef62dcfb880e328.jpeg

 

There will not be a single extra inch of desk space (anywhere in the house) devoted for retro-gear.

 

Therefore, everything needs to run / work properly in this corner, including CP/M, legacy HW expansions and add-ons circa 1980-1982 (Bit3, etc.) and NTSC / PAL formats, including LCDs. Dedicated power-line for the 800XLs has been already provisioned.

 

The nice thing about the setup is that whatever my A8 host chosen (800 CTIA, XLs, etc.) and whatever video interface (RF, Composite, Y/C, DVI, Component) will all work here, plug-and-play, including 80-columns output.

 

Only things missing here is the (imaginary) NTSC / PAL Sophia-2 plug-in CPU board for the 800, and... a mint 1400XL, of course... 😁😜

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2021 at 7:09 PM, Tillek said:

I like the holder for the S Drive Max!

It's a couple of brackets from Amazon and those picture hangers. Works great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2021 at 10:39 AM, atarixle said:

My tiny but working setup.

 

Yes, there is a fully tuned Mac Mini, which is perfect for running RespeQt, Atari800MacX, and cc65.

 

I had so many plans how to create a much nicer workplace but time is too tight to mention ...

20210516_193359.jpg

Name of that OS system on the screen ? I never seen this before ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...