IGNORED

Did I waste money buying a 2600 when I already own an 800XL?

donjn

13 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

I agree, my 2600Jr's vid output is much cleaner.  I have both hooked.  I only use the 7800 for 7800 titles.

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. To me the output of the early 2600 systems is a lot better than that of the Jr(s). I do agree that the video output of the 7800 is the worst of all the Atari hardware I own. 

The video circuit of the 7800 is available to both the 7800 (Maria) and the 2600 (Tia) parts of the system, which seems to be part of the issue.

Over in the 7800 section of the forums someone is trying to improve the output of a PAL 7800:

10 minutes ago, MrFish said:

In what way(s)?

I own a 2600 but haven't owned a 7800 yet.

There is a difference in color, speed, and sound, although the differences probably aren't huge enough to make the average person complain. The first thing that should stand out to just about anyone are the colors. Atari 2600 colors are more vivid.

Here is a semi-related post:

• Like 1

Although I had a fairly large collection at one time, I've sold off most of it and settled on the VCS and XLs as my favorites. I definitely recommend having a 2600 and an 800XL. The 2600 has fun multiplayer titles that use a variety of controllers. Combat, Indy 500, Video Olympics, Warlords, etc.

2600 and 800 are my two favorites. I like having both. And I do have a 5200 for the many excellent games and the beauty of the giant system, and I have a 7800 for 7800 games (and sometimes 2600 games on the 7800).

There are so many great games for the 2600 that it is worth it to have one.

And as several people have pointed out, the system itself looks great and the colors are brighter on the 2600 than on the 7800.

Plus some 2600 carts are finicky or even too wide to play on a 7800.

There are many classics and homebrews that are really excellent for the 2600.

You made a good choice. You can bounce back and forth between the 2600 and the 8-bit computer. They're both great.

17 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Never saw a reason for the 7800 and 5200, just an Atari bid to grab the console market which the NES had cornered by then, the 2600 did its job superbly and sold like hot cakes but both the 5200 and 7800 were luke warm at best.

Uhhh.... Wut?  5200 predates the NES and is based on the 400/800 chipset with some minor hardware differences.  The ONLY problem I have with the 5200 is the stock controllers almost always fail eventually and if you buy one, you'll have to rebuild them.  Star Raiders on the 5200 with analog flight control was fantastic.  

I never liked the 2600, even as a kid.  Horrid annoying sound, the arcade ports like Joust were generally awful.  I thought I wanted a 2600 until I actually played one again recently and that nostalgia faded VERY quickly.  I do have an 800XL, 5200 and an ST set up that I play frequently.

Unit sales doesn't mean it was impressive hardware by any means.  The 2600 sucked IMHO.  It was hard to develop for and the hardware constraints were insanely limited even for the late 70s.  I wouldn't bother.  

11 hours ago, kogden said:

I never liked the 2600, even as a kid.  Horrid annoying sound, the arcade ports like Joust were generally awful.

Generally the arcade ports were sub-par, but there were some that I enjoyed in their own right, partly because the hardware limitations put a new spin on the gameplay.  Defender is one of those games, owing to how the smart-bomb works with the single-button joystick and the overall easier play because there's fewer enemies onscreen.  And then there are the games that are pretty faithful to the arcade but have their own unique style on the 2600. Space Invaders, Asteroids, Missile Command, Ms. Pac-Man, and Frogger are a few examples.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 1

I kind of like the 2600 better than the 8-bits...something about the gameplay just feels more fun, more fresh...probably because it was a different group of devs working on the games.

The 8-bits also have different color restrictions: I like how colorful a lot of 2600 games are (like Centipede), whereas the 8-bit versions were a bit bland looking.

But the 8-bit does have a lot of games that are better: Dark Chambers (way different game, not as good as 7800 though), Star Raiders, Missile Command, Pac-Man (FOR SURE), etc.

6 hours ago, Asaki said:

I kind of like the 2600 better than the 8-bits...something about the gameplay just feels more fun, more fresh...probably because it was a different group of devs working on the games.

The 8-bits also have different color restrictions: I like how colorful a lot of 2600 games are (like Centipede), whereas the 8-bit versions were a bit bland looking.

But the 8-bit does have a lot of games that are better: Dark Chambers (way different game, not as good as 7800 though), Star Raiders, Missile Command, Pac-Man (FOR SURE), etc.

Have you played the 5200 version of Centipede that was backported to the 8-bit computers?  It's night and day.  It's almost as good as the Arcade.  If you haven't ya gotta play it.  I was shocked how different it was.

There was a few good 2600 games I guess.  The colorful 2600 games could easily be done on the 400/800 if people actually tried.  Especially with DLI's etc.  I also found the sound on 2600 games to be horribly annoying.  

I played 2600 games on occassion but I guess I was spoiled with my 5200, 130XE and eventually an ST and a Lynx when I was young.  Some people are nostalgic for 2600 games but I've played stuff lately for the 400/800 that even have my kids impressed.  It's super frustrating that all anyone remembers is the 2600 when you say "Atari" in public.  The 2600 both made them and killed them.  

All I know is someone needs to recreate Armor Ambush for the 8bit computers!  That was probably the one game on the 2600 that really impressed me.  I also think someone should remake the SwordQuest games for it...

But now that Adventure II XE should be coming out soon, most others I can think of ware on the A8 and better.  Though I have my bases covered with multiple 8bit computers, a 7800 and 5200.  I was going to mod the 4 port so U could use the VCS adapter I bought, but thought a 7800 would be the better bet (as my entertainment shelf wouldn't fit the towering adapter!  Granted that is also why I keep my Genesis with the 32x and Sega CD downstairs! ) 

On 7/1/2020 at 2:35 AM, donjn said:

I am thinking the 2600 was a nostalgic purchase.

I was the same way, I never had a 2600 when I was a kid, I got my original 800 when I was 10 and that was all I needed. In recent years I have gotten a couple 2600's, as well as all the other Atari VCS's out there, and a C64, an Apple //e and some more Atari computers. I have an addiction and love this old stuff.  I don't think adding a 2600 to your collection was a waste at all! :)