IGNORED

Restoring Satoru Iwata's easter egg in Star Battle (VIC-20)

in the video he has to change the code slightly to make it activate.  i wonder if there might be any carts that were released with it activated. i think it was both shifts and C key.  I tested mine and it didn’t work.

IIRC in Japan it was briefly sold as Galaxian for the VIC-1001, just like they had Pac-Man (Jelly Monsters) and Rally-X (Radar Rat Race), all three originally from Namco. Perhaps that early release had the text visible, but Commodore demanded it to be hidden for the international release?

I never quite understood how that worked, if Commodore held rights to release those within Japan and the exclusive rights held by Atari only applied in rest of the world. It is quite clear that Commodore put aside money from Jelly Monsters sales to negotiate with Atari once they came knocking instead of getting a lawsuit, but there seems to be some confusion if Atari demanded Star Battle to be removed from the market as well. In any case Atarisoft later released own, inferior versions of both Galaxian and Pac-Man.

Exactly why Rally-X became Radar Rat Race is even more confusing, as at least Atari didn't seem to hold any international rights to this one. There is also the agreement between Commodore and Bally Midway to take into consideration, as Bally Midway in their turn had business going on with Namco.

• Like 1