IGNORED

Ugh ... He's back :(

ColecoJoe

4 hours ago, Tursi said:

Short? No. ;)

I found a nice half hour read of the subject. It fills in all the blanks. Yeah, guy is trying to claim rights to things that don't directly link to him, plainly, and I learned a new concept of "passing off" that's made me rethink some past assumptions. I'm happy to act as a vehicle to oppose his TM filed status if anyone has any ideas.

On 7/1/2020 at 5:50 PM, mr_me said:

I don't understand why Arcade1up needs RWB/Coleco.  Arcade1up is providing the licenses, handling the manufacturing and distribution; for what do they need RWB/Coleco?

I'm not sure either, and I think it a bad move on Arcade1Up's part to get into bed with them.  This ain't our Coleco, we all know that. 

My guess is that's its strictly to get that "Coleco" name Voldemort owns to be able to stick it on their systems.  The shame is there is nothing to prevent them from using that form factor for their own "Arcade1Up" branded mini-systems.  My guess is like many people outside of the ColecoVision community Scott Bachrach and his team know nothing of what happened years back, nor would it probably affect their decision anyway. 

And I get that, business is business, but I posted about it anyway in the official arcade1up facebook group, just to draw attention to it.  Personally, I would hate for Arcade1Up to get bent over by Voldemort and taken advantage of or have the reputation they built up tarnished by him and his organization.  

• Like 1

I kind of find it interesting CV doesn't want to discuss it. They've basically been radio silent in that thread after early on they spun it that it's not a partnership, and that it's just Cardillo buying 50 units. Maybe the non-partnership has a non-clause that prevents them from discussing the non-particulars of the non-partnership?

Then it came up in the other Phoenix thread and Retrolucid was quick to shut it down by saying they just "bought a couple". Which, in his defense, he's just trying to keep that thread on track. But 50 is just a little more than a couple. It was a pretty weak reply IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick3092 said:

I kind of find it interesting CV doesn't want to discuss it. They've basically been radio silent in that thread after early on they spun it that it's not a partnership, and that it's just Cardillo buying 50 units. Maybe the non-partnership has a non-clause that prevents them from discussing the non-particulars of the non-partnership?

Then it came up in the other Phoenix thread and Retrolucid was quick to shut it down by saying they just "bought a couple". Which, in his defense, he's just trying to keep that thread on track. But 50 is just a little more than a couple. It was a pretty weak reply IMO.

There really isn't anything else to say. That is all. They bought some systems from us, not much more to it than that. All the rest is just uninformed speculation.

• Like 3

This.

A $10,000 sale is a $10,000 sale. It doesn't have to be about more than that. $10,000 extra funds on a marginal cost for extending the run slightly means a lot more resources available for the Next Big Thing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrPix said:

This.

A $10,000 sale is a $10,000 sale. It doesn't have to be about more than that. $10,000 extra funds on a marginal cost for extending the run slightly means a lot more resources available for the Next Big Thing.

I think people are just concerned about the wording in this article that insinuates CV is teaming up with Coleco.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/abstract-coleco-is-teaming-with-collectorvision-to-launch-a-new-console-that-supports-your-favorite-colecovision-games/

Yes, unfortunately not all articles on the internet are factual. I'm guessing Coleco is just trying to put something out there drum up some buzz so when they are ready to resell the systems there is interest. That said, the stuff in the article isn't accurate and there is no "teaming up".

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nick3092 said:

What you want me to tell you?
I already said they bought 50 units and there was nothing more than that

But some people keep speculating, saying false informations etc....

They bought 50 units and there's NO DEAL between Coleco Holding and CollectorVision 
What they will do with their units?  I don't have a clue nor that I care 

If you guys want to buy 50 systems and change the label to say: ''whatever the name'' 
Then be my guess
I can't care less honestly, I'm just happy that more than a thousand people will be able to enjoy the ColecoVision on modern TVs 
It also brings more attention to Team Pixelboy, Opcode, CollectorVision and all the other homebrewers, and this is a good thing

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 7

Let me just add this to 

Since we started designing the Phoenix, Toby and I wanted to offer custom faceplates (stickers) 
so people can put whatever they want  (I.E. replica of the actual CV faceplate) 
The Phoenix is NOT about CollectorVision (even if we designed it) 

We did the Phoenix so more people could enjoy this system once again 
The ''who made it'' is not that much important for us, the fact the more people will enjoy the CV is what we strive for. 

If Atari want to buy 1000 Phoenix units and re-labeled them with the Atari logo, I would not have any problem
As long as more CV fans could enjoy it 

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 6

I've always wondered why people cared so much about the same product having a different sticker on it.  Like the "wafer" nonsense, if the product works, does it really matter to the average end user? 

Now, due do previous actions of a certain individual, if I suspect that the individual/company may be using a purchase as leverage in some sort of legal posturing, that could hurt the community as a whole, I would never support that individual/company or purchase an item from such an individual/company.  In my mind, not wanting to unwittingly become part of the problem, and believing it's better to be safe than sorry, I would simply walk away.  This is of course is just my opinion. 

The only part confusing for me is that Collectorvision does not mind if anyone rebrands their product and no agreement is needed.  I'm certain Apple, IBM and others would not allow this but obviously they are a different case.

My 'guess' is that Coleco will rebrand with the Coleco logo to say "see we make products with the trademark" and maybe orders more in the future from Collectorvision if they have enough demand.  This is not a bad this for Collectorvision of course but as you mention may not be the best long term for the community with Coleco "taking back" the brand.

A couple of things here after talking to my attorney.

1. If CollectorVision allows passing off, this weakens CV's claim to their own trademarks.
2. This does not strengthen Coleco Holdings' claim to CH's TMs, which remain fraudulent.

These two sentences cost me $75, so make the most of them.

Let me explain things a little bit better.... 

The reason we're not planning to make any more Phoenix is quite simple actually
Toby is the one who's assembling all consoles (and our games as well mind you) and he's getting quite overwhelmed by this process. 

Assembling over 500 consoles at one time is not a small task and it is very time consuming
We might be a company (as small as we are), but remember this is still homebrew stuff and guys have their day job,familly, and life in general to take care of. 

There's also our game development, we want to keep bringing to games to the community, and since we're doing games for multi platforms, again this is time consuming 

So we can't do that many things at the same time, and let's face it, we're not going to sell 500 000 Phoenix 
Heck, not even close to 5000 units!

Now, if Coleco Holdings ask us, let's say.... in 6 months if we could manufacture of batch of Phoenix, EXCLUSIVELY for them, we would do it?  
NO, we won't! 

Are we going to make more Phoenix available on our website in the future?
Who knows, we might be...
But for now, the answer is simply no 

• Like 7

On 7/3/2020 at 10:03 PM, nick3092 said:

Time will tell. If he's sells a single unit with the firmware and name plates changed to ColecoVision, then CollectorVision is in bed with him. Which is what the press release is implying. 

You have to remember this is the guy that had the GI Joe mold and was selling bootlegs on eBay that AA forced him to pull and also tried to market their version of Sydney Hunter as their own product on the Coleco Convention website and then claimed it was a typo when confronted. It's always the same with CC.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2020 at 4:10 PM, retroillucid said:

We did the Phoenix so more people could enjoy this system once again 

And I for one, would like to thank you for this. I always wanted a CV, but never got around to getting one. Then you guys come along and provide one with HDMI and a 2600 core too.  Thanks again.?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Having run a video game business for 11 years, I can say that, in my opinion, Retroillucid is absolutely doing the right thing.  If a big order comes in, fill it, make your money, survive another day.

Sony chips can be found in competitor electronics and vice versa, its business, and for business to continue to survive you sometimes have to work with all kinds of people.

I said in a previous comment and I repeat it again here... I hope Coleco sells out of all of their units quickly and wants to buy a lot more from Collectorvision.  The more people that can try it the better and if they can reach some audience beyond the Atari age universe that would be great.

I would love to see the audience grow, while I am not a big fan of Coleco today, I am a fan of Collectorvision making enough money to keep something we all love in this thread alive.

Again I respect everyone's opinion here, this is just mine...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, imstarryeyed said:

Having run a video game business for 11 years, I can say that, in my opinion, Retroillucid is absolutely doing the right thing.  If a big order comes in, fill it, make your money, survive another day.

Sony chips can be found in competitor electronics and vice versa, its business, and for business to continue to survive you sometimes have to work with all kinds of people.

^ Pretty much this ^

''Keep your friends close and your enemies closer''

CollectorVision are hoping to someday get the Coleco/ColecoVision logo and tradename 
That's exactly why we are in good terms with Coleco Holdings
This is no secret, that's our goal! :twisted:

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 1