IGNORED

Faran Thomason - Podcast Interview Questions Needed! He worked on Cybermorph, Bubsy, NBA Jam & Supercross 3D!

Adriano Arcade

Faran Thomason - Podcast Interview Questions Needed! He worked on Cybermorph, Bubsy, NBA Jam & Supercross 3D!

Retro, Atari and Jaguar legend Faran Thomason has kindly agreed to appear on a future Arcade Attack podcast!

He has appeared on our site before with a text interview, but it'll be a true honour to pick his brains further!

He helped created Bubsy, NBA Jam, Cybermorph, Baldies and Supercross 3D on the Jaguar. He also worked on loads of great Gameboy games including R-Type DX, Bionic Commando and also produced a lot of quality Disney games.

Do you have any questions you would love me to ask? Thank you all for your help.

Here is our original text interview with Faran a few years back: https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/faran-thomason/

• Like 2

Also producer on Mortal Kombat 3. 

Ask him what the difference is between producing something 'in house' and being a producer for something not 'in house'.

1. Everything he can remember about MK3. Every little detail. Who were the coders. How far along did it get? Did he ever see an Alpha build?Problems with getting source codes from Williams etc.

Also the MK3 sources we have for him now. Tell him sorry about being late but we expect him to get right on this last month. Or so. 

2. Does he still have a Jaguar/hardware. When's the last time he played it. 

Edited by JagChris
  • Like 1

Does he think the industry obsession with 3D/polygon-based games at the time was helpful to game technology development and game experience quality in the long run?  In the short run?  Did the marketing outrun the hardware and/or developer capabilities in this area?

• Like 2

There is a story going around that during an Atari company meeting that Jack or Sam or someone picked up a Jaguar and threw it against a wall. Then told everyone they were fired. What does he know about this?

My bet is on Sam. if he allowed himself to get that worked up you can kinda see where the heart attack came from. 

Was he around when the heart attack happened?

Any Lance Lewis anecdotes he has.

Faran is a great guy and was a lot of fun to interview.   Naturally a fan of his work on Bubsy (which I seem to enjoy more over time).

Love hearing stories of days working at Atari, and people he worked with, if nothing else to get an idea of other people to find and interview.  :D

I think I wanted to ask him more about Baldies I believe was the other one that he was involved with.  And Brett Hull Hockey for sure.   Again, Kudos to him and Andrew Seed (programmer) for actually getting one Accolade "port" (Bubsy) out to market out of all the titles that Atari bought from Accolade.   And Brett Hull was sooo far along both cartridge and CD versions.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1955799/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...