IGNORED

Weeko, Wicko, Wieko?

StickJock

Growing up, my friends & I always referred to this (my favorite joystick) as a Wicko.  Looking at it now, I think I would call it a Weeko.  How should it be pronounced?  How do you pronounce it?

Free Shipping Wico Command Control Joystick For Atari 2600

Not that it matters much.  I'm pretty set in my ways - just ask my wife!

(Now get off of my lawn!) ?

My most fave stick was my Competition Pro Mini, played Sensible soccer like a mad man with that, lovely little stick...The nearest I've seen is a Speedlink but it looks like it but I bet its nowt like it in use...

Just looked on Ebay for a Comp Pro Mini...HOW MUCH!!!!

Edited by Mclaneinc

20 minutes ago, StickJock said:

Growing up, my friends & I always referred to this (my favorite joystick) as a Wicko.  Looking at it now, I think I would call it a Weeko.  How should it be pronounced?  How do you pronounce it?

Judging from their commercials, the name is properly pronounced "Wicko," which is the way I always pronounced it:

(And yes, I'm a big fan of their controllers, too.  The joystick I used the most with our Atari 800 as a kid was the Wico "Bat"—I still have them, too, albeit with replacement cables.  I like their trackballs as well; I have the Atari and TI 99/4A versions.)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, StickJock said:

My next door neighbor had that one, with the interchangeable handles.  I like my bat handled one, but I tend to hold it down near the base with my thumb & forefinger to shorten the throw.

I do the same thing.  If it is gripped up high, then your handle hand overpowers the hand holding the base.  I also hold the Atari sticks much the same way.

Some people like D-pads.... and while I could probably get used to a circular one, I find UL, UR, DL, and DR to be too difficult.

I'm thinking maybe the SunCom Slik Stik might be good.  I think I have one I acquired over the years, but I've never tried to see if I like it.

the commercials called it wih koe that as in is as in oh!

how about we follow what the company called itself.

I love AtariAge and all but this stuff gets argued all the time... so cut to the chase is my new game.

rather than deal with all the banter and being told I've got it wrong...

watch one of the d*mn commercials   :)

Edited by _The Doctor__

24 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I love AtariAge and all but this stuff gets argued all the time... so cut to the chase is my new game.

Why to they say WyeKo in the beginning and then change to Wick-o?

Maybe these people are wicked?

Edited by Kyle22
1 character typo.

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

By that logic, there should be no argument about "jif" - since that's how the creator of the format says it should be pronounced (and he is correct)!  But - people just love to argue, even when they are clearly wrong :)

Not by that logic at all you conflation maniac!

The joystick is a direct name, it is not and Acronym or Initialization of other words...

Graphics

Interchange

Format

the creator pronounced it with a hard G up until early 1998 and then in 1999, when for reason never explained, thought it would be cute and stole the Jif peanut butter advertisement about being choosy, to do it with a soft g, I personally think we're being trolled.

But since there's no way to enforce any pronunciation when patents, trademarks and copyrights expire, can't we let everyone say it like they want to. Tomato tomahto

furthermore,

the chief editor of the Oxford English Dictionary argues that "A coiner effectively loses control of a word once it's out there," adding that "the pronunciation with a hard G is now very widespread and readily understood."

let's not forget that this was allowed to become public domain possibly because by making the pronunciation change he not only stole a name already trademarked and copyrighted in two different continents but used compression without permission to do so...  Perhaps we now do PNG instead.... lolzors

Maybe people wake up and ask themselves, "How will we weaponize a trivial and harmless consonant difference to make other people feel bad and self-conscious about this today...

to troll or not to troll that seems to be the question :)

I won't call you Steffen, as your proper name is indeed Stephen, but you can call yourself fast car... spelled s-t-e-p-h-e-n... that your choice.

MOPAR  is long O and not long A, it is short for MOTOR PARTS. This has lose and fast rules more-so than Initialization, and Acronyms.

I don't think anyone would appreciate me saying mop-air....

Creators and inventors can be mistaken or wrong about some things, although G.I.F. (GIF) was a team effort. I've certainly made plenty of mistakes.

so endeth my trollingz

or... OMG!  let's move on to how to say PNG!!! wait what to do about .jif files oh the world is spinning!

Edited by _The Doctor__

3 minutes ago, Magmavision2000 said:

When I'm reading the word, I say "Weeko", but when I say it out loud, I say "Wicko".

That's cool that you auto-correct in an appropriate way based on localization...

To explain that it sometimes comes down to Local....  J's are a problem from country to country as well...

Jessica can be shortened to Jessi or Jesse... then read as if it were in another country and sound like Yessy or Yessie

Always a fun time!

16 hours ago, StickJock said:

My next door neighbor had that one, with the interchangeable handles.  I like my bat handled one, but I tend to hold it down near the base with my thumb & forefinger to shorten the throw.

Yeah, I don't use that stick very often as the throw is way too long IMO 

16 minutes ago, mimo said:

Yeah, I don't use that stick very often as the throw is way too long IMO 

Yup, I did have one as we stocked them but too much swing on them, during my Defender sessions with my brother that stick just simply ended up being thrown in anger, way too much movement for me, also tall sticks like that just feel wrong to me....But as always, its what you are used to...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Yup, I did have one as we stocked them but too much swing on them, during my Defender sessions with my brother that stick just simply ended up being thrown in anger, way too much movement for me, also tall sticks like that just feel wrong to me....But as always, its what you are used to...

I think that's why I keep going back to a cx-40. It's what I grew up on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mimo said:

I think that's why I keep going back to a cx-40. It's what I grew up on.

How do you pronounce that?  Cocks dash four-oh?  Cucks dash forty?  See Ecks four-zero?

Sorry - couldn't resist.

P.S.

My gif comment was purely a joke as is this :)  Smile fellas, not everything's a jab looking for a fight.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2