IGNORED

Collectorvision and Coleco?

zaphro72

4 minutes ago, jblenkle said:

If there is no "deal" the guy who wrote that article needs to write a retraction...either that or he is on "Coleco's" payroll.

That was exactly my thought.  Just a suggestion, but perhaps someone from CollectorVision should contact the author and provide him with clarification and request he update the article accordingly.  It clearly has been written based on the usual Cardillo lies and has the potential to sully CollectorVision's reputation.  For example, who provides the warranty for these resold units should anything go wrong?

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Like 3

So the ones from coleco will be branded coleco but not the ones we preordered from collectorvision?

You guys just sold them some preorders of this "last batch" and they are doing their own thing with them?

Eh. Even if it isn't a "partnership" it's still giving Cardillo more undue credit to the Coleco brand. I get you guys want more sales. But this is a terrible way to do it.

I was the one who stirred up the crap storm the last time. I'm not going to again. But I feel like this is a slap to the real Coleco community.

Edited by nick3092
  • Like 4

I don't know - I think it's fine.  It's not like they took the source code from github and created their own units to compete.  He may not be liked, but he paid for his Phoenixes just like everyone else.  If he wants to resell them with new stickers on them, that's up to him.  The money still comes back to CollectorVision for now.  Along with the ColecoVision IP, does he own the rights to any games?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mingus said:

I don't know - I think it's fine.  It's not like they took the source code from github and created their own units to compete.  He may not be liked, but he paid for his Phoenixes just like everyone else.  If he wants to resell them with new stickers on them, that's up to him.  The money still comes back to CollectorVision for now.  Along with the ColecoVision IP, does he own the rights to any games?

No, I haven't seen any evidence that he own any rights to games, except maybe the rainbow brite game.  He would need Collectorvision's permission to rebrand the phoenix with coleco or colecovision.  That would give him a product to legitimise his coleco trademark.

On 7/2/2020 at 1:13 PM, stupus said:

So the ones from coleco will be branded coleco but not the ones we preordered from collectorvision?

You guys just sold them some preorders of this "last batch" and they are doing their own thing with them?

On 7/2/2020 at 1:43 PM, Bmack36 said:

Pretty much this?

But the article says:

"Coleco and CollectorVision have come to a mutual agreement involving the Phoenix console. The Coleco branded console will carry the official ColecoVision branding, a brand that went toe to toe with Atari in the early 1980s. The ColecoVision console will be unique in its support for original ColecoVision cartridges, as well as newer compatible releases."

Afaik you can't buy someone else's product on the market and slap your name on it and then sell it branded as yours without an agreement in place or something in writing to avoid getting sued. Even more this has a sublicensed part in the SGM and I don't think you can just leverage that even with an agreement on the first (like for videogames, the music copyrights may be separate and owned by a different entity ... Bomb The Bass in Xenon II missing in the recent sanctioned Jaguar port comes to mind, but it is possible that CollectorVision has the right to transfer SGM license as part of the Phoenix, I don't know .... Opcode's SGM used to have the Coleco branding so maybe it's kosher either way), and then there is the 2600 core which I don't know if it's an open-source re-release or what (but it is NOT mentioned in the article so I assume it is either not officially supported or some separate agreement is in place for that).

Not seeking for drama but the article may be pushing it one way stating such a set of agreements exist as a partnership etc... vs here saying no such thing is in place and potentially they are fine having anyone just willy-nilly buy the Phoenix and rebrand it as their own without any further need of any agreement.

Sure CollectorVision can just silently let it happen and enjoy the extra sales, but at least a piece of signed documentation should exist, even if it states it involves 0 transfer of money and 0 cross-liability.

Pretty sure if RWB wouldn't rebrand it it would not be the same circumstance as it would just be more of a reseller at that point.

If this brings more money and development budget for CollectionVision that would be great. However, it looks like all that has happened is that Coleco Cardillo bought a few systems to rebrand. Would be interesting to see which controller he bundles with it. To me the Phoenix is a worthy successor to the original CV.

• Like 1