IGNORED

Collectorvision and Coleco?

zaphro72

Let me see if I got this right.  Carlito/Coleco order some Phoenix consoles.  Do some people actually expect a company to respond "sorry we won't sell to you"??   I know that's not what most of the naysayers here are saying but some are!

I can expect that people want nothing to do with Carlito or their org but you can't expect a small hobby business company to refuse sales, that's insane.  I think even a minor deal from Collectorvision allowing a rebranding after a sale is ok, they need to move units, this is how you do that, by selling them and if this leads to more Phoenix runs, that's also a good thing.  This could be helpful to Collectorvision too, maybe they can actually use the odd use of the word Coleco without feeling like they need to check with their lawyer every time LOL

I get it if it's a merger or JF/Toby is rebranding everything with the name Coleco now, that can piss people off but let's not presume too much

1 hour ago, cvga said:

Will this have an impact on people, like me, who pre-ordered months ago? I'm waiting patiently for my console but hoping it doesn't receive a lower priority due to the new deal.

I obviously can't speak for CollectorVision, but I suspect not.  Even if there IS a delay, I would hesitate blaming it on this deal.  They've been pretty transparent with any delays in production or assembly in the past, and I suspect that will continue.  Maybe (and I don't expect collectorvision to confirm or deny this - especially if it's part of a deal) this guy ordered unassembled units as a way to keep costs down.  That would allow them to just ship him a box of shells and a box of boards....not delaying anyone.  Who knows.  

What is our favorite handy man going to do with these consoles?  Didn't buy any of the games.  I can only imagine the literature this guy comes out with to "sell these."  I can't see him simply trying to resell them.

Edited by Greg2600

1 minute ago, lucifershalo said:

why stay silent about this deal and not mention it to the community, dear Collectorvision persons? Maybe afraid of the reactions...still keeping it "secret" when we know theses kind of things are always surfacing is disappointing.....

The point is there is no deal here. They pre-ordered systems, just like everyone else. There is nothing to hide here. I hadn't even heard anything like this suggested until this thread popped up.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bmack36 said:

The point is there is no deal here. They pre-ordered systems, just like everyone else. There is nothing to hide here. I hadn't even heard anything like this suggested until this thread popped up.

If there is no deal arent you guys worried of them rebranding them as colecovision and reselling them?

Couldnt that lead to them stealing your product rights or even trying to claim ownership of it? Or at the least copying it and making there own?

Although i guess if you guys arent making more maybe it doesnt matter terribly?

25 minutes ago, stupus said:

If there is no deal arent you guys worried of them rebranding them as colecovision and reselling them?

Couldnt that lead to them stealing your product rights or even trying to claim ownership of it? Or at the least copying it and making there own?

Although i guess if you guys arent making more maybe it doesnt matter terribly?

It is what i was just thinking!

In the U.S , can we buy some IPhone from Apple and resell them with your own brand without a legal agreement or something like that?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, youki said:

It is what i was just thinking!

In the U.S , can we buy some IPhone from Apple and resell them with your own brand without a legal agreement or something like that?

You can but you would be infringing Apple's rights.  It would be up to Apple to take action.  They can sue you and get a court order to get you to stop.

With the phoenix, if they don't rebrand the product but feature collectorvision or phoenix logos prominently on their website without permission it would also be trademark infringement.

Regarding warranty, technically the legal warranty could expire while it's in RWB/Coleco's possession.  It would be up to collectorvision to honour an extended warranty.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

thanks for your answer.

So you can buy products  and resell them "as is". 

In that case , if no special agreement , the warranty is honored by the product maker .

But assuming , for instance i buy few phoenix to resell, and if i manage to resell them not before one year (let say the Phoenix has one year warranty)  ,   my buyer will have no more warranty?

Is what you mean by ?:  

Regarding warranty, technically the legal warranty could expire while it's in RWB/Coleco's possession.  It would be up to collectorvision to honour an extended warranty.

1 hour ago, youki said:

thanks for your answer.

So you can buy products  and resell them "as is". 

In that case , if no special agreement , the warranty is honored by the product maker .

But assuming , for instance i buy few phoenix to resell, and if i manage to resell them not before one year (let say the Phoenix has one year warranty)  ,   my buyer will have no more warranty?

Is what you mean by ?:  

Unless you're a legitimate merchant.  Than the legal warranty starts when you resell the thing.

• Like 1

If your Coleco, apparently, you can also sell it loaded up with classic ColecoVision ROMs, though I still don't know how Cardillo has rights to them. It may not mean much to most of us, but might to Joe or Jane Blo. Like Erin, who reviewed the Phoenix and reviews everything retro from retail gaming, but knows pretty much nothing about homebrews.

10 hours ago, Swami said:

If your Coleco, apparently, you can also sell it loaded up with classic ColecoVision ROMs, though I still don't know how Cardillo has rights to them. It may not mean much to most of us, but might to Joe or Jane Blo. Like Erin, who reviewed the Phoenix and reviews everything retro from retail gaming, but knows pretty much nothing about homebrews.

If you're thinking of the colecovision flashback, it was an atgames product.  Atgames would have been responsible for making copies of any copyrighted programs.

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

If you're thinking of the colecovision flashback, it was an atgames product.  Atgames would have been responsible for making copies of any copyrighted programs.

No. The original incarnation of the Phoenix was labelled ColecoVision rather than Collectorvision and came with ColecoVision retail rather than homebrew games due to a licensing deal with Coleco. Besides, AtGames Bill Logoduice said they assumed Coleco/Cardillo had the rights and licensed them from him.

What a totally bogus, BS, clickbaity article. Hopefully the writer amends some of statements he made.. we all know Cardillo is a complete jackass, who doesn't really care about the community, and is only out to make a quick buck. River West Brands/"Coleco" isnt the OG Coleco we all knew & loved, that's for sure, so this is not a 'comeback' by any stretch of the imagination. They've already tried to come down on the homebrew community, so surely the CV fans out there already know the deal and are hopefully smart enough to not buy a rebranded, upcharged Phoenix. I wish RWB would just sell off the Coleco trademark already because all they're doing is tarnishing the name, more & more every year it seems.. They've already done more damage in the past 5 or so years than I care to remember. The only good thing that I can see to come from this is that CollectorVision sold some more units and maybe some consoles will be available to folks that missed out on pre-ordering straight from CollectorVision.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

What a totally bogus, BS, clickbaity article. Hopefully the writer amends some of statements he made.. we all know Cardillo is a complete jackass, who doesn't really care about the community, and is only out to make a quick buck. River West Brands/"Coleco" isnt the OG Coleco we all knew & loved, that's for sure, so this is not a 'comeback' by any stretch of the imagination. They've already tried to come down on the homebrew community, so surely the CV fans out there already know the deal and are hopefully smart enough to not buy a rebranded, upcharged Phoenix. I wish RWB would just sell off the Coleco trademark already because all they're doing is tarnishing the name, more & more every year it seems.. They've already done more damage in the past 5 or so years than I care to remember. The only good thing that I can see to come from this is that CollectorVision sold some more units and maybe some consoles will be available to folks that missed out on pre-ordering straight from CollectorVision.

Well said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Swami said:

No. The original incarnation of the Phoenix was labelled ColecoVision rather than Collectorvision and came with ColecoVision retail rather than homebrew games due to a licensing deal with Coleco. Besides, AtGames Bill Logoduice said they assumed Coleco/Cardillo had the rights and licensed them from him.

That could be but there are no copyright credits on the colecovision flashback packaging like the other flashbacks, only the trademark to coleco holdings.  And if Atgames were to get sued, blaming it on rwb/coleco doesn't help their case.

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

That could be but there are no copyright credits on the colecovision flashback packaging like the other flashbacks, only the trademark to coleco holdings.  And if Atgames were to get sued, blaming it on rwb/coleco doesn't help their case.

Yeah. Strange, huh?

What I suspect happened is rwb/coleco trademarked the titles of a bunch of the video games whose titles haven't been used for a while; just like they did with the coleco trademark; that's what they do.  And they gave that list to atgames and said this is what we have.

Edited by mr_me