IGNORED

how do I know if sum is <0 or >255?

Short version: 

I'm adding a signed number to an unsigned number. What flag(s) will tell me if the sum has fallen below zero or above 255?

Longer version: 

I'm driving a rocket around with driving controllers, 16 directions, but the movement is chunky. I wanted more precision so I tried added a fractional component to the x and y coordinates. So PlayerX is the horizontal position, and PlayerXFrac is the fractional portion. I have the player's horizontal velocity in PlayerXVel, and it's either positive or negative. I add it to PlayerXFrac, and if that takes PlayerXFrac <0 i want to dec PlayerX. If the addition takes PlayerXFrac >255, I want to inc PlayerX.

But I can't figure out the right flag or flags to detect if the addition of PlayerXVel to PlayerXFrac passes the 0 or 255 boundary. 

I could check the N flag to see if I've gone under zero (bmi) but the N flag is also set if the result is anywhere $80-$FF, right?

Carry flag is cleared if I go <0 but it's also clear if I add a positive number. 

I feel like there's some super simple test I'm just missing, or else I just set this up to be more complicated than it needs to be. Any thoughts? I appreciate any and all suggestions!

Thanks! :D

57 minutes ago, quohog said:

Short version: 

I'm adding a signed number to an unsigned number. What flag(s) will tell me if the sum has fallen below zero or above 255?

Longer version: 

I'm driving a rocket around with driving controllers, 16 directions, but the movement is chunky. I wanted more precision so I tried added a fractional component to the x and y coordinates. So PlayerX is the horizontal position, and PlayerXFrac is the fractional portion. I have the player's horizontal velocity in PlayerXVel, and it's either positive or negative. I add it to PlayerXFrac, and if that takes PlayerXFrac <0 i want to dec PlayerX. If the addition takes PlayerXFrac >255, I want to inc PlayerX.

But I can't figure out the right flag or flags to detect if the addition of PlayerXVel to PlayerXFrac passes the 0 or 255 boundary. 

I could check the N flag to see if I've gone under zero (bmi) but the N flag is also set if the result is anywhere $80-$FF, right?

Carry flag is cleared if I go <0 but it's also clear if I add a positive number. 

I feel like there's some super simple test I'm just missing, or else I just set this up to be more complicated than it needs to be. Any thoughts? I appreciate any and all suggestions!

Thanks! :D

You could sign-extend to 16 bits before the addition.

Here I use "X" to hold the sign extended high byte of PlayerXVel

ldx #0
  lda PlayerXVel
  bpl signOK
  ldx #255
signOK

clc
  adc PlayerXFrac
  sta PlayerXFrac
  txa
  adc PlayerX
  sta PlayerX

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the response! That's really interesting.

I'm confused though. Wouldn't it always decrement PlayerX if you were subtracting, whether PlayerXFrac went <0 or not?

Lets say PlayerXFrac is 4, PlayerXVel is -1. Then the X register would get -1. PlayerXFrac would end up a 3, still within it's range, but PlayerX would also get a one subtracted from it, wouldn't it? Or am I reading that wrong?

I only want PlayerX to be decremented if PlayerXFrac dips below 0. 

8 minutes ago, quohog said:

Thanks for the response! That's really interesting.

I'm confused though. Wouldn't it always decrement PlayerX if you were subtracting, whether PlayerXFrac went <0 or not?

Lets say PlayerXFrac is 4, PlayerXVel is -1. Then the X register would get -1. PlayerXFrac would end up a 3, still within it's range, but PlayerX would also get a one subtracted from it, wouldn't it? Or am I reading that wrong?

I only want PlayerX to be decremented if PlayerXFrac dips below 0. 

PlayerXFrac = 4

PlayerXVel = -1 (255)

so, X = 255

So, we go...

4 + -1 --> 3 --> PlayerXFrac

leaving the carry flag SET (we overflowed)

then,  PlayerX + -1 (ie: the sign extension in X reg) + 1 (carry set) --> PlayerX -1+1 --> PlayerX

So no, PlayerX won't have 1 subtracted, because of the carry/overflow from the first addition.

• Thanks 1