IGNORED

What Are Your Most And Least Favorite Genres?

My most favorite genres are (in this order):

-Fighting

-Platforming

-Arcade

-Shmups

My Least Favorite are:

-JRPG

-ARPG

-TTS

I'm impartial to:

-RTS 

-Grand Strategy

-FPS

-Simulation

What are your most and least favorite genres?

• Like 1

Favorite: 2D action games such as platformers, run n gun, etc.  Puzzle games too because of my love for Tetris.

Least favorite: Strategy, Sports, Western RPG. These put me to sleep. I wouldn't mind never playing another FPS.

Edited by mbd30

Favorite: 

- racing games of all types, although I enjoy arcade style racers the most. 

- I dont know if its a genre, but I enjoy science fiction adventures of various style of gameplay.  Compare Genesis Flashback with Metroid Prime, Star wars Fallen Order,  and  Horizon Zero Dawn. 

- 2D vertical and horizontal shooters. From Space Invaders and River Raid to Darius Gaiden and Giga Wing, etc. 

Least:

-  first person shooters, and online competitive frag fests.

-  Horror survival games don't interest me.

- Basketball games - the appeal has eluded me, strange because I've loved some other sports games. 

• Like 1

Favorite: Shoot 'em up, classic/arena FPS, action RPG (bonus points if it's in first person), beat 'em up, platformer, run 'n' gun, Metroidvania (though more like Metroid than Castlevania), top down action/adventure (like Zelda), paddle games (Breakout, Arkanoid, etc), racing (especially future death-sled games like Wipeout and F-Zero).

Genres where it depends on the game if I like it or not: fighting, puzzle, turn based strategy/tactical RPG ( love the first Age of Wonders, but can't stand the new ones)

Genres where I like only 1 or 2 game/series: sports (NBA Jam/Hangtime classic, not the new ones) (Golf [NES] though I haven't played it in years)(Mini Golf on 2600)

Least Favorite: RTS, JRPGs (turn based with party like Final Fantasy, but I did enjoy FF Tactics), "tactical" FPS, 3rd Person cover based shooters

• Like 1

Good question!

Favorite:

Adventure, Pinball, RPGs,  games with mazes and robots in them, Shmups (OK I can't believe I just used that word after thinking it was so dumb when it first came out), 80's Arcade games, Atari Games!, Games with Haunted Houses in them, Platformers, Flatpormers, Car Combat, Racing games if they have spectacular crashes or stunt modes, Games with a cool art style, 90's games  I played at home when I was in college, Ultimate Qix because I believe that game on Genesis to be a genre in itself, Games with a picture of an arcade game on the box, Games with Ghosts, Games with Castles, Action, Games with evil planets to explore and things to shoot, Survival Horror, Futuristic looking games, Games with vampires, zombies, or werewolves, ...Text adventures based on racing golf shmups (OK Not really, just seeing if you're still paying attention), Most vector games, Overhead rabbit simulators, War games if they have Warlords or Tank Pongs, Bowling games if they came with the Wii, games with cool graphics and music, Puzzle games like Bust A Move or Super Columns, Things that have dragons,  Star Wars or Tron games,...and whatever Mr. Do! is.

Least Favorite:

Sports (Except Mutant League, NBA Jam, and Tecmo Bowl, plus maybe some golf, pool, or mini golf games), card games, Probably many FPSs (but the jury is kinda out on that one), Tile games (Except for Mahjong on Game Boy or Neo Geo Pocket, but that's different), games that would probably be cool IF I spoke Japanese, Fighters (Except Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat series), Flight simulators where ya have to read the instructions (So...Flight simulators), Licensed games (Ha!  Remember when most of them sucked?), Baseball games because there is way too many (for Famicom/Super Famicom), Pachinko games, Seriously can a fella buy just one game lot for Super Famicom without a dozen Baseball, tile, and pachinko games??  And how come every pawn shop is filled with So many Sports games for Genesis and 6 copies of Top Gun for NES? Games with lousy control, and games like Twisted Metal for PS3 where all they had to frikkin' do was let me control my goddang car with the D-Pad so I could Rule the Road like always but NOOOOOOOooooooooo!

Favourite: JRPGs, Real Time Strategy, city building, 2D platformers.

Least interested: Tennis games. Just can never hit the ball properly. Neo Geo Pocket one was the only one I really got on with (posted cause someone else mentioned the pocket). I don't like sports games generally though. 

I've grown to enjoy action adventure RPGs/'Western' RPGs as JRPG genre continues to nosedive. Only so many tales of games I can handle for nostalgia genre purposes. I was into racing games more in the 90s but Grid (original) is probably the most recent game I've enjoyed and finished. 

• Like 1

Genres I enjoy in modern and retro gaming - Anything where I get to shoot and blow things up and platformers.

Genres I only like in modern gaming but have no interest in retro - racing and rpg's.

Genres I don't like in any era - sports, unless made up and ultra violent like Speedball 2 and puzzle games.

• 2 weeks later...

Favourite:

1st person shooters (multiplayer only)

Beat´em ups (2D)

Racing

Shoot´em ups

RPGs with turn-based combat (8- and 16-bit only, almost)

Least favourite:

3D Platformers

Fighting (with the exception of the best 4-player ones)

Game Shows

Point and Click

Puzzles

"Sneak" games (like Assassin´s Creed)

Sports (with a few exceptions)

Text based games

Favorite:

- RPGs

There's nothing more satisfying to me than exploring a massive world and building up a powerful party of characters while engaging in satisfying turn-based combat with plenty of tactical options.

Some favorites in this genre include Wizardry, Wizardry V, Might & Magic Book One, Pool of Radiance (on PC); and Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior II (on console).

Least favorite:

- Visual novels/Japanese adventure games

Many of these seem to consist only of hitting a button to go to the next screen of text and looking at pretty pictures.  I also don't care for the writing in these kinds of games, which tends to be overly verbose.

- Point and click adventure games

I grew up playing these but really cannot stand them now.  I get annoyed at the dead ends of the Sierra games and the "cartoon logic" of the Lucasarts games.  The biggest issue I have with these types of games is that getting stuck on a puzzle will often bring the entire game to a standstill where the only thing you can do is retrace your steps and see if you missed anything.

Edited by newtmonkey

Favorites: 

Adventure

RPG (western, never got into JRPGs)

God games/world building games.

Certain FPS/ third person shooters (depends on setting more than anything)

the Dark Souls genre

Driving games

Whatever MULE is

Early 80s arcade games

Least Favorite: 

Never got into the side-scrolling platformers, because they were popular when I was most heavily into RPGs

"Walking Simulators" especially the ones that feel cheaply made,  sometimes there's a fine line between this genre and "Adventure game" though

Puzzle-games-  but it depends,  I hate the ones where the puzzles have BS solutions.

Zombie and Post-apocalyptic games - way overdone.

Never big on fighting games, but there's a few I like

Late 80s arcade games

Edited by zzip

59 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

And no one has listed text adventures amongst their favourites. Gawd, you people. :)

I liked them back in the day,  but the genre evolved into graphics adventure, then point and click, etc.   It's hard to play games that involve nothing but wall of text after wall of text anymore.

On 7/17/2020 at 10:36 AM, zzip said:

I liked them back in the day,  but the genre evolved into graphics adventure, then point and click, etc.   It's hard to play games that involve nothing but wall of text after wall of text anymore.

Visuals are overrated. Worse than that, they're obsolete the moment they're released: there's always going to be something that is more visually polished coming down the pipes, and we're always chasing after the "best" looking game, even if mechanics suck. The written word, however, is timeless. Thirty years after the end of Infocom, and I've yet to see games that teased and tortured the adult player with as much of a sense of fun as theirs did. And their parsers were becoming very sophisticated at the end! I'm getting my STe back in running shape so I can finally play Plundered Hearts.

P. S.:

Interestingly, the last "big" (meaning with marketing and not homebrew) text adventure was probably from my country, Spain: Chichen Itza, released in 1992.

Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing because, honestly, I wish Spanish companies would have moved to graphic adventures earlier.  The first Spanish point & click adventure didn't appear until 1994.

Edited by IntelliMission

2 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

Visuals are overrated, but the possibility of using a mouse 100% of the time instead of having to type is not. I played a few of these games as a kid and I like them, but I wish all of them were remade using, at least, a menu system where you can select the verbs and the objects/characters.

I installed one of the infocom interpreters on my phone, and it allows you to enable voice recognition to "type" your responses.  You can also do text-to-speech so that it reads the text to you

• Thanks 1

Most favorite:

- 80's Arcade

- Racing

- Shooters/Shmups (space, FPS, etc)

- Platformers

- Adventure/Action

- Pinball

Least favorite:

- Card/board games

- Game shows

- Sports (w/some exceptions)

- Cutesy, kiddie games

- Turn-based RPG's/Strategy

- Point & Click

- Math/Learning Games

- Puzzle Games (ie. - Sudoku, but I LOVE Tetris)

- Text Based

- micro transaction/mobile

You get the idea.. ?

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD