IGNORED

What antenna connector is this

I think I found a way to enjoy better gaming for every RF ntsc based later system, except for the few light gun games for the 7800 2600 which don't work when converted to computer monitors.

I got something called an MTV box which takes RF input and converts it to VGA output.

there are two different VGA ports a circular one and a keystone one and a cord that goes from one to the other I assume those two are functionally identical.

The main issue I have is the RF port.  I tried using an F-Type male and an F-Type female and neither worked.  Someone at Best Buy told me it was a BNC female connector.  I bought a BNC male connector it does not fit.

unfortunately Best Buy does not let you send pictures to their help to help diagnose something.  Thankfully atariage does, though it's staffed by volunteers which could be a good thing.  

It is for something I found called an MTVBox.  This weird antennas standard is preventing me from enjoying it.  If someone wants me to, I can take a picture of the standard and showing you that BNC male does not fit nor does F-Type male nor does F-Type female.

9 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

That's EXACTLY the MTVBox device I have.  RF in, VGA out.

Now the question is how to physically connect.  I tried F type male and female, and BNC male.  None work so far.

Yes, its a pal female rf port. Like others mentioned. What double down posted is exactly what you need. They also make one to an rca connector.

The fact it has a pal rf in though leads me to wonder if its only pal output?

Edited by stupus

Based on my experience of RF singals by being an early adopter of Sprint cellular internet in 2007-8 ish.  Mainly because the only other choices were dial up, which is quickly not being an option once Dreamcast Online was stopped, and satellite, never good for gaming due to a guaranteed 400 ms of ping.

I had to go through 3 if 4 different types of connectors, but they were all compatible with each other and my Sprint outdid dial up.  So I know the RF signals are convertable "enough".

I also noticed the VGA menu has an otption to select RF input type.  And said NTSC-U.  I assume you're telling the converter of which converter program to run.

By the way, are there any differences between VGA around the world?  If there are, I might need a world VGA converter.  Otherwise it's a fairly universal output and work on any VGA signal.

Also, I heard that the biggest contributor to tv delay is the modern HD display technology.  The signal conversion times are so small, that the only thing the delay effects light gun games and Sega Scope 3D games, and for everything else is considered lag free.    If so, why aren't more people using this method?

Edited by tripletopper

I thought the output was specifically VGA not a European version of a TV, whichnnormally use just scart.

My only question is "are there differences in VGA standards around the world?".  If VGA is a world standard, then American RF games should be able to be played with American RF input and any VGA output, but ironically uses a European input connector.

Also I thought the United States and Japan use the same RF input standard.

I thought the label ntsc-u and ntsc-j are designations for proprietary hookups that have different substandards around the world with a main standard, like PlayStation or Saturn.

since these old things basically take a Channel of standard old school broadcasts, then in theory anything video related that works in Japan will work in American vice versa.

looking at the picture again it just says ntsc and I assume pal and secam and others are acceptable standards to input from.

And if he'd use a world Universal output and you could select your input then in theory this could be a universal RF to VGA adapter.  my work getting my Sprint network to work with an antenna would uses a whole bunch of weird standards all made sense and all work together and delivered a good cellular signal using RF to attach an antenna to get a better signal.  since the only thing making it weird or physical RF hookups, and I have personally witnessed various different physical hook up standards being in her compatible with the original electronic standard being maintained, (yes even though these standards are made for CB FM AM and TV all around the world, they all work in physically hooking a cellular skin from the antenna to the hook up that is the antenna port on the cellular device.). Those physical adapters do nothing but connect, the actual electronic message stays the same assuming you're staying within the same TV signal language like ntsc pal or secam.

NTSC-J, U, PAL B/G, PAL-I, etc... are video standards defining the RF signal. Because some regions have adopted a connector standard unlike the others, there is usually an understanding that NSTC-U (USA) and NTSC-J (Japan) are going to use a F connector, and PAL/SECAM systems are going to use the Beiling-Lee (or FM, as it's also found on some FM antenna) connector, but there isn't any requirement about this.

The most likely explanation is that your hardware was made in China for the Chinese market; China officially use PAL-D and the FM connector, but in reality there are lots of NTSC hardware in China due to them picking up whatever they can/want from their own factories, including NTSC hardware.

• Like 1

I thought the analog standards were fairly universal.  Is there a VHF/ UHF difference between NTSC-J and NTSC-U/C?  I only notice that on video games with deeper system specific nation regions,and usually have different connectors.

Assuming the output is VGA. and VGA is universal, then that box is a universal RF game adapter.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I can't figure out how to connect the connectors.  I search Google and all I got was eBay results of where to buy a connector not how to connect them.  I got youtube videos on how to splice them into a wire but not how to connect a male and female natively.

This is what I got.

IMG_20200714_152448362.jpg

This link takes you to an Aliexpress page selling the MTVBox. Scroll down and it identifies what all the connectors are.

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32952477453.html

In post #9 doubledown posted the link to the coax to Belling Lee connector you need to get:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Coaxial-PAL-NTSC-Connector-Adapter-Male-Belling-Lee-to-Female-US-F-Coax/122270197809?hash=item1c77df2831:g:Jh8AAOSwuAVWyLem&redirect=mobile

Edited by rayik