IGNORED

Atari 8Bit Game Patches

EddyFree

On Saturday, April 10, 2021 at 10:16 AM, tane said:

Sea Dragon

Sorry for the delay, finally got around to it.

Sea Dragon(Both Versions):
-------------------------
Unlimited Ships = [D6E010:A901XX]
Unlimited Air = [C693D0:A901XX]
Disable Floating Mines And Enemy Weapons = [C3A584:XXA901]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 3:08 AM, Xuel said:

@EddyFree Have you written anything about the methods that you use to develop your patches? I would love to read about the process that you go through.

15 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Yes, so would I, as a fellow 'cheater' I always appreciate how others do it

No, I sure haven't. Never really thought about it. The methods all depend on the way the games are written(programmed). If I find some time, maybe I'll break down a game or two soon and explain the steps I took to make the patches for them.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, eegad said:

Just stumbled upon the remake of Lunar Jetman this week.  Cool game but I am hopeless at it.  Anybody have any cheats for this one? 

Is that the same Lunar Jetman that's on Disk #405 of the Homesoft Collection?

On Sunday, May 02, 2021 at 8:01 AM, eegad said:

That's the one. 

Lunar Jetman:
------------
Unlimited Ships = [CE3239:EAEAEA]
Unlimited Fuel = [C66AC6:EAEAEA][4B38E908:XXXXEAEA] (Must Use Both)
Disable Missile Launch Timer = [C66DD0:A901XX][E908:EAEA](second Occurrence)(Must Use Both)

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 7:47 PM, EddyFree said:

Lunar Jetman:
------------
Unlimited Ships = [CE3239:EAEAEA]
Unlimited Fuel = [C66AC6:EAEAEA][4B38E908:XXXXEAEA] (Must Use Both)
Disable Missile Launch Timer = [C66DD0:A901XX][E908:EAEA](second Occurrence)(Must Use Both)

Haven't had the chance to try it yet,  but much thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

Jet Boot Jack:
-------------
Infinite Lives = [DE6424:BDXXXX]
Unlimited Power = [C6B310:A5XXXX]
Kill Inactivity Timer = [C6F4D0:A901XX]
Unlimited Ducking = [C6A1D0:A901XX]

Power Down:
----------
Infinite Lives = [E9038D:EAEAXX][E90C8D:EAEAXX](must use BOTH)
Disable Green Rays = [CA150:EAEAEA]

Beef Drop:
---------
Infinite Lives = [C62BA9:EAEAXX]
Unlimited Pepper = [19E901:XXXX00]

Tiger Attack:
------------
Infinite Lives = [019D92:00XXXX]
Unlimited Bombs = [E9019D85:XX00XXXX]

Bandits(DISK):
-------------
Unlimited Ships = [CEDF8FD0:A901EAXX]
Unlimited Shield = [CEF989D0:ADXXXXXX][CEF98910:ADXXXXXX](must use BOTH)
Enemy Ships Don't Capture Fruits = [F18FD001:XXXXEAEA][FC1006:XXEAEA](both concurrences of second patch) (must use BOTH)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2020 at 3:57 PM, EddyFree said:

Rescue On Fractalus(DISK):
=========================

Unlimited Energy = [CE2F06:EAEAEA]

Diamond Mine:
============
Unlimited Cars = [D6B9:A901][2028BC:EAEAEA] (Must Use Both)

Marauder:
========
Infinite Lives = [C6E1A2:EAEAXX]

Marauder 2:
==========
Infinite Lives = [C6E2A2:EAEAXX]

Koronis Rift(DISK):
==================
Take No Damage = [EDCDBE:EAEAEA]

is there an edit in the code so that enemies in koronis rift will die after just one hit?

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, pmgraphics said:

Koronis Rift(DISK):
==================
Take No Damage = [EDCDBE:EAEAEA]

On koronis rift, on level 20 when you reach a hulk you do take damage even with the code change above. the code change works for levels 1-19, but on level 20 you quickly die when shot at, but only when a hulk is in range. if there are enemy ships and terrain only in view, then you do not take damage. Any chance for code change to 'fix' this and as previously asked make enemy ships die with just one laser hit. It literally takes about 10-15 minutes to take down 1 ship.

18 hours ago, thank you said:

Hi EddyFree, excellent thread.

Ignore me if I'm wrong, but did you miss a nibble here?

thank you

You are absolutely correct and thanks for pointing it out. A typo on my part, here's the correction:

Power Down: (TYPO CORRECTED UPDATE)
----------
Infinite Lives = [E9038D:EAEAXX][E90C8D:EAEAXX](must use BOTH)
Disable Green Rays = [4CA150:EAEAEA]

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pmgraphics said:

On koronis rift, on level 20 when you reach a hulk you do take damage even with the code change above. the code change works for levels 1-19, but on level 20 you quickly die when shot at, but only when a hulk is in range. if there are enemy ships and terrain only in view, then you do not take damage. Any chance for code change to 'fix' this and as previously asked make enemy ships die with just one laser hit. It literally takes about 10-15 minutes to take down 1 ship.

The programmer must have used a different set of code for that particular enemy. I don't play most of the games very far so those issues are sure to pop up in some. I tried to replicate the issue but at the start of the game it only takes one hit to destroy the enemy ships. If you can play the game to where the issue is happening(ie:level 20) in Altirra 3.9(latest version I can use due to WinXP limitation) and use Altirra's "Save State" feature and attach the "state" file here on this thread, that would be a big help in tracking the issue down.

1 hour ago, EddyFree said:

The programmer must have used a different set of code for that particular enemy. I don't play most of the games very far so those issues are sure to pop up in some. I tried to replicate the issue but at the start of the game it only takes one hit to destroy the enemy ships. If you can play the game to where the issue is happening(ie:level 20) in Altirra 3.9(latest version I can use due to WinXP limitation) and use Altirra's "Save State" feature and attach the "state" file here on this thread, that would be a big help in tracking the issue down.

Attached are two save state files. these are made with the 4.00-test1 prerelease. if they don't load for you, I will try to use 3.9. I stopped using 3.9 since the save states would often crash for me.

1. kr-r19 is an example of many shots required to destroy the enemy ship. The best strategy (with your initial no damage change) is to find a spot with the crosshair where you can hit the ship. the ship cycles through a pattern and will eventually return to the same spot. I find it near impossible to chase the ship with your crosshair to hit the ship.

2. kr-r20 once loaded go to the right between the mountains and approach the 'hulk.' you get destroyed almost immediately. 

kr-r19-ef-manyshots.atstate2 kr-r20-ef-hulkdestroysyou.atstate2

1 hour ago, pmgraphics said:

Attached are two save state files. these are made with the 4.00-test1 prerelease. if they don't load for you, I will try to use 3.9. I stopped using 3.9 since the save states would often crash for me.

1. kr-r19 is an example of many shots required to destroy the enemy ship. The best strategy (with your initial no damage change) is to find a spot with the crosshair where you can hit the ship. the ship cycles through a pattern and will eventually return to the same spot. I find it near impossible to chase the ship with your crosshair to hit the ship.

2. kr-r20 once loaded go to the right between the mountains and approach the 'hulk.' you get destroyed almost immediately. 

kr-r19-ef-manyshots.atstate2 28.11 kB · 2 downloads kr-r20-ef-hulkdestroysyou.atstate2 27.99 kB · 2 downloads

Turns out I don't need them, I just warped myself to level 20. It was easier than I thought. So from what I'm gathering it appears that the deadly shots are from an unseen shooter. Looks to me like the ship directly in front of it is supposed to be a "booby trapped" ship since I send my droid out and the ship just disintegrates and my droid gets stranded. The deadly shots are part of the trap I suppose. So I came up with a couple more patches to level the playing field for you. The second part of the "take no damage" patch prevents damage from the deadly shots in question. Let me know how they work for you and/or if they cause any side-effects elsewhere in the game.

Koronis Rift(DISK): (UPDATED PATCHES)
==================
Take No Damage = [EDCDBE:EAEAEA][ED83B1B007:EAEAEAXXXX] (must use both)

One Shot Kills = [FD86B2:E9FFEA]

1 hour ago, EddyFree said:

Koronis Rift(DISK): (UPDATED PATCHES)
==================

The patches work great. Take that 1985 insane game play! ? (There are some unexpected results since you can now send the probe to those trap hulks on level 20 and you can now blowup the base with one laser blast, but that's to be expected when playing code changed games.)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, pmgraphics said:

The patches work great. Take that 1985 insane game play! ? (There are some unexpected results since you can now send the probe to those trap hulks on level 20 and you can now blowup the base with one laser blast, but that's to be expected when playing code changed games.)

Great! I couldn't help it but since the code was fresh in my head I went ahead and made a "Don't Spawn Enemies" patch also. Using it will not spawn saucers OR the deadly shots.

Koronis Rift(DISK): (UPDATED PATCHES #2)
==================
Don't Spawn Enemies = [20516F:EAEAEA]

• Like 2

By the way, for those that would like to jump to level 20 in Koronis Rift using the Altirra Emulator 3.9 simply start the game, enter the debugger(F8), type "eb B183 12 12" into the debugger console(obviously without the quotes), then go back to the game and "call ship". Once in the ship, choose "exit ship" and "next rift". It will send you to Rift #20.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, EddyFree said:

By the way, for those that would like to jump to level 20 in Koronis Rift using the Altirra Emulator 3.9 simply start the game, enter the debugger(F8), type "eb B183 12 12" into the debugger console(obviously without the quotes), then go back to the game and "call ship". Once in the ship, choose "exit ship" and "next rift". It will send you to Rift #20.

In your instructions you provided in a post long ago the example of the eb console command there is a $ in front of the address. is this not necessary here, or does B183 need to be $B183? 

2 hours ago, pmgraphics said:

In your instructions you provided in a post long ago the example of the eb console command there is a $ in front of the address. is this not necessary here, or does B183 need to be $B183? 

It should work either way in that debugger. When in doubt, I'd always prefix hexadecimal with $.

• Like 1