IGNORED

Atari 8Bit Game Patches

EddyFree

Just looked at the info screen, and it's a damn good idea..

Not sure I like the use of Zorro colours, but hey, that's just me.

Aha, re the inf lives, when I saw the word disabled I presumed that it meant as standard it's disabled, so must be enabled to get it. Had not clicked it meant the entire option was disabled.

Certainly looking good, I don't mind a loading screen and for those that don't want it can just play a 'straight' version.

• 9 months later...

So I was going through some of my personal ATR disk images that I made back in 2009 and came across my old Ultima 3 "player disk" with all my characters on it from back in the late 80's. This was the first RPG game I ever played and one of the few that I've actually completed. So I couldn't help but to load up Ultima 3 in Altirra to see what my characters looked like back then.

Unfortunately, I noticed right away that I had difficulty playing the game using an emulator because the arrow/movement keys had issues. Left and right arrows worked, but down went up and up was considered invalid. And this was in both Altirra AND Atari800WinPlus. The obvious solution was to redefine the keys in the emulator, but I'm not a fan of switching key sets in emulators for certain games/programs unless absolutely necessary.

So I started digging into the code of Ultima 3 and was able to track down the keyboard references and come up with a "patch" to apply to the program disk that will remedy the issue with emulators(but could possibly break the keyboard reference code for "real hardware", I'm not sure).

As an interesting "side-note" I also discovered in the code that hitting "Control-S" will stop the "Background Music" in Ultima 3. This is not mentioned in the documentation that I have that came with the game. I really wish I had known this back in the mid 80's because I logged so many hours on this game that I actually could still hear the "background music" playing in my head after I turned the game off and tried to go to sleep. If I knew I could turn it off that would have seriously helped my sleeping patterns back then!.

So after coming up with an Ultima 3 "arrow-key" patch I decided to look at the other games in the "Ultima" series to see if they used the same keyboard coding techniques and could also use a "patch" for emulator play. Only Ultima 2 fit the bill and so I made a patch for it also. Interestingly, Ultima 1 AND Ultima 4 seem to conform to the default "emulator" arrow keys.

For those interested, I've attached to this post the Ultima 3 and Ultima 2 disk images(ATRs) with the program disks patched by me to work with the default emulator arrow keys. Keep in mind that these patched disk images are targetted for EMULATOR use so using them on real hardware may cause key recognition issues as should be expected.

And while I was digging through all that code I just couldn't resist coming up with a few more "game playing" patches for Ultima 3 also! (These are NOT applied to the attached ATR's)

Additional Ultima III Patches(Apply To Program Disk):

Never Get Poisoned=[A9D091:XXC7XX] (all 4 occurences)
Unlimited Gem Peering=[A025B1FED0:XXXXA901XX] (both occurences)
Unlimited Torches=[0FB1FED012:XXA910XXXX]
Free Spell Usage, No MP Needed!=[65F0CA:A200EA]

Enjoy!

Ultima2[EFPatched Arrow Key Fix For Emulators].zip Ultima3[EFPatched Arrow Key Fix For Emulators].zip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I”ve just discovered Altirra and I”m having a great time with the old Atari games. My favorite is Bounty Bob Strikes back. I”ve tried the cheats codes you”ve provided, but the one about infinite lives doesnt” work! I cannot find the hex codes mentioned in order to modify them. Can you please point me to the Rom file where they came from?

Thanks a lot!

Alex (Madrid)

Thanks everyone for this awesome deluge of cheats!!!! 😍

I'm currently starting on Bounty Bob Strikes Back (on Altirra) and I've tried the 3 cheats for this game on the list.

Two of them work fine, but the "Unlimited Lives" one doesn't work for me, since I can't locate the hex code "012068" in my file 😒 (I've tried a number or different images for the game and none of them have this hex string).

Can anyone point me to a BBSB file that corresponds to the cheats and can be modified for infinite lives???? 😅

Thanks a bunch!!

Alex

7 hours ago, AlexOB said:

I'm currently starting on Bounty Bob Strikes Back

If you're playing Bounty Bob, you might be interested in this too.

========== (Special Codes) ==========

To die while playing type: 8187826861

Set the code in the option menu on 61,800. Then press 'F' plus <OPTION>
Now you can press the following keys while playing:

B: Back to the place where you were standing last.
Q: Next level.
A: Previous level.
Z: Restart level.
F: Bounty Bob can move freely and can not die. Floats
To go to a certain level type level number: 06, 11, etc. 

HIDDEN MESSAGE: On the game adjustment screen, there is an option labeled "Special Codes" where you can enter a number from 0 to 65,535.
Enter one of the following numbers and press OPTION for some secret messages:

5 - "YOU REALLY DIDN'T THINK THAT WOULD DO ANYTHING DID YOU?"
6 - "TAKE BACK 1 KADAM TO HONOR THE HEBREW GOD WHOSE CARTRIDGE THIS IS!"
49 - "HEY! HOW DID YOU KNOW THE NUMBER OF THE FIRE STATION NEAR MY HOUSE?"
69 - "GEEZ! WE KNOW WHERE YOUR MIND IS!"
100 - "BARBER NED SAYS THAT WILL BE TWENTY DOLLARS, PLEASE!"
213 - "WRONG AREA CODE!"
666 - "HOW DARE YOU INPUT THAT NUMBER INTO THIS GAME!"
818 - "TRY HARDER."
782 - "HA HA!"
1000 – “ROM VERSION 1.000” (This code is not in the 5200 version)
2049 - "C'MON!! TRY HARDER"
6861 - "YOU ACTUALLY TRIED THAT?" 
1961 - "THE MAKERS OF THIS GAME THINK IT WAS A VERY GOOD YEAR!"
2827 - "CLEVER! BUT STILL WRONG!"
5495 - "STEAL AT ANY PRICE"
9161 - "BILL HOGUE'S BIRTHDAY! DON'T FORGET TO SEND PRESENTS"
16309 - "RELIANT'S PREFIX CODE! HERE IT COMES, KHAN!"

After entering code 100, start a game and you'll notice that Bob is missing his hat and is bald. More special codes likely exist.
{John Hardie and CompuClub V2N2}

Level warps: #1 – get the flower pot, and then hold down 1 and press START; #2 – kill all the mutants, and then hold down 3 and press START;
#3 – get the goblet, and then hold down 4 and press START; #5 – get the teapot, and then hold down 8 and press START;
#10 – get the pitch fork, and then hold down 5 and press START; #16 – set tube #1 to the left, get the pie, and then hold down 9 and press START.

• Like 2

Thanks Fuls and MrFish for the help, let's hope I can get the infinite lives I need to complete this very challenging game 😅

Sorry for the dumb question (I'm totally new to Altirra), but how do I do this?

9 hours ago, AlexOB said:

Sorry for the dumb question (I'm totally new to Altirra), but how do I do this?

Hit the <OPTION> key, enter the code at the bottom under "Special Code" using joystick <LEFT> and <RIGHT> (hint: use <LEFT> :D ), then hold <"F"> and <OPTION> at the same time. Then press <START> and have fun.

On 12/16/2022 at 7:58 PM, EddyFree said:

So I was going through some of my personal ATR disk images that I made back in 2009 and came across my old Ultima 3 "player disk" with all my characters on it from back in the late 80's. This was the first RPG game I ever played and one of the few that I've actually completed. So I couldn't help but to load up Ultima 3 in Altirra to see what my characters looked like back then.

Unfortunately, I noticed right away that I had difficulty playing the game using an emulator because the arrow/movement keys had issues. Left and right arrows worked, but down went up and up was considered invalid. And this was in both Altirra AND Atari800WinPlus. The obvious solution was to redefine the keys in the emulator, but I'm not a fan of switching key sets in emulators for certain games/programs unless absolutely necessary.

So I started digging into the code of Ultima 3 and was able to track down the keyboard references and come up with a "patch" to apply to the program disk that will remedy the issue with emulators(but could possibly break the keyboard reference code for "real hardware", I'm not sure).

As an interesting "side-note" I also discovered in the code that hitting "Control-S" will stop the "Background Music" in Ultima 3. This is not mentioned in the documentation that I have that came with the game. I really wish I had known this back in the mid 80's because I logged so many hours on this game that I actually could still hear the "background music" playing in my head after I turned the game off and tried to go to sleep. If I knew I could turn it off that would have seriously helped my sleeping patterns back then!.

Control S is interesting. Thanks. 

As for the rest... emulation is the work of the Devil.

On 1/31/2023 at 2:11 PM, pmgraphics said:

Any patches for Moonbase IO?

Looks like I missed this post somehow. Took a look at the game. Seems it's a "one and done" game as far as lives go, not the usual lives countdown. I have some ideas, I'll work on it a bit and get back to you.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 11:10 AM, AlexOB said:

Thanks everyone for this awesome deluge of cheats!!!! 😍

I'm currently starting on Bounty Bob Strikes Back (on Altirra) and I've tried the 3 cheats for this game on the list.

Two of them work fine, but the "Unlimited Lives" one doesn't work for me, since I can't locate the hex code "012068" in my file 😒 (I've tried a number or different images for the game and none of them have this hex string).

Can anyone point me to a BBSB file that corresponds to the cheats and can be modified for infinite lives???? 😅

Thanks a bunch!!

Alex

Use the "Bounty Bob Strikes Back" in the Homesoft Collection. Disk #49.

• Like 3

On 1/31/2023 at 2:11 PM, pmgraphics said:

Any patches for Moonbase IO?

I finally found some time to have a good look at it. Seems I was wrong about the game being "one and done". It does have the ability to have several ships/lives, however if you crash during the "minefield" levels the game is over regardless of how many ships you earned on the moons. And since the game starts with a minefield level it appears there is only one ship if you crash. Anyhow, in this one I noticed right away that the title screen took way too long to do its thing so I made a patch to shorten the delays to a more tolerable level. As for the minefield, I made patches to eliminate the mines, or to just pass through the mines without crashing, or to simply skip the minefield levels. As for on the moons themselves, I made patches to eliminate damage from all the small ship's shots and also to provide unlimited ships(you can't die out). Finally, as for the "Mothership" level, I made a patch to eliminate damage by the Mothership's shots, and I believe the unlimited ships patch I mentioned above also works here. All patches were created using the game program in the Homesoft collection, Disk #130. And with that mentioned, here are the patches:

Moonbase IO:
Faster Title Screen = [A5C0C9:A903XX]
Skip Minefield Levels = [D0F011:XXXXAD]
Pass Through Mines = [F0B8A9:EAEAXX]
No Mines In The Minefields = [ADFB0691:A900EAXX] (All Four Occurrences)
Immune To Small Ship's Shots On Moons = [D2AD06D0:XXA900EA]
Unlimited Ships On Moons = [AD8406F01C:A9048D8406]
Immune To Mother Ship's Shots = [35AD06D0:xxA900EA] (Both Occurrences)

Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

This Image (ATR) of Bounty Bob Strikes Back has been updated with EddyFree’s Unlimited Lives and No Timer Patches.

Plus the cheats below.

B - Back to the place where you were standing last

Q - Next level

A - Previous level

Z - Restart level

F - Bounty Bob can move freely and can not die. Floats

AND the best cheat is - To go to a certain level, type the level number: (04, 22 etc.) after you get to the first screen.

No need to manually enter the 61800 code.

Bounty Bob Strikes Back (61800 Cheat Activated_Unlimited Lives_NO Timer.atr

Edited by FULS
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

Is there a way for Koronis Rift to perhaps using the debugger console to edit module strengths. The power and efficiency levels. I always wanted to be a le to change the ENDGAME EQUIPMENT. If you play the game without skipping any rifts and collecting the BEST Laser, Shield, Power Reserve, Generator and Drive module, you end up BY Rift 20 with a GREEN color laser and a RED shield. The shield I believe has a KEY shape alien origin symbol and the GREEN laser I think has the "FACE" origin symbol. I'm curious is there any way to change origin type, and perhaps change laser color and power and efficiency numbers. Same with shield.... Change color, power and efficiency and maybe even change alien origin symbol to whatever we wanted.... Basically I'm asking for a module editor. I always wanted to see the game with modules that do ridiculous damage and a shield that doesn't have any dips in color efficiency, its maxed out all across the board. Or even a laser or shield color that doesn't exist. There are SPECIAL HULKS, the ones that look like Frogs, the ones that don't eat the repo tech bot, the shoot MULTI-SPECTRUM BEAMS!!!! Meaning there hit does damage on EVERY COLOR AT ONCE....It's essentially a WHITE LASER meaning EVERY COLOR COMBINED. I know that code must be in the game because the enemy can fire there weapon that does WHITE DAMAGE, meaning every color at once. Or make a drive unit so powerful you are at max speed or even game breaking fast, faster than possible.

One final Question....There is a monitor in KORONIS RIFT that is NEVER used for anything. I talked to NOAH FALSTEIN years ago and he cannot recall back in the early 1980s when the game was being developed as "ALIEN TANKNOLOGY" he may vaguely recall, but is not 💯 that it COULD have been a display output for a module that allowed the tank "TO JUMP" essentially. It's just weird that there is a display in the game that is never used for any display output. The Map module is on the center left bunch, but the right bunch one is NEVER USED....any ideas or comments?

• 3 months later...

JOURNEY TO THE PLANETS (JV Software)

I have not learned how to create Hex cheat modifications of ROM files in ATR files.

I enjoy searching for cheat codes in my favorite Atari 800 games from the 1980's,

Here is my effort to "tame" the ATR version of JTTP; creating cheats with Altirra 4.10.

Freeze Clock:   $1930:$1C

Freeze Energy: $12A9:$5D

• Like 2

• 2 months later...