IGNORED

Knight Guy in Low Res World: Castle Days

vhzc

Another pleasurable release to experience and play through, Beta 13 revision D, does not fail to excite.  Besides the aforementioned updates to castle walls, change-ups to previous room design are always wonderful to witness.  Further, as seen with so many other items, the crate, its design, is pure eye candy.  Sure, a 'simple' box with a few lines could have sufficed; however, there is such creativity in the shading and design work that once again I can't help but have an overwhelming feeling of professional presentation along with care and careful consideration:

image.png.037e96c6ffb7fd27497b51456eb8ae21.png

The crate wasn't even close to the end of it though.  Gameplay ante was upped.  I could be mistaken, but the acid drops appear to provide a little more of a challenge with faster drippage occurring. 

Knight Guy's coloring appeared a bit richer and it looks like he is now hanging out in $Fx land.  Good news for Flat Panel users, as unlike $1x, which typically leans more greenish under those display types and remains that way, $Fx receives more red over time, which will give him more of a gold look as the system warms up. 

For CRT owners, the original $1x choice is as it should be, presented 'golden'.  So with this move to $Fx, Knight Guy will start golden, but will lean towards somewhat of an orange (gold with some additional red) appearance as the system warms up.  Regardless, a fair compromise, weighing and considering both modern and traditional display types. Another alternative would be to just pick from $2x.  The beginning story with our feline friend though, appears to have retained Hue $1x range for Knight Guy, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me.

One item I noticed for this build, that appears to be a change for the worse unfortunately, is the background emphasize of wall pieces.  Previous builds have the wall background highlights looking more red/auburn in appearance, but currently is more of a taupe or a very muted green.  The emphasis is currently lost to the background and hardly noticeable; ditto with the highlights within the stone work.  Before those background highlights really 'popped'.  On the other hand, as mentioned before, the wall design update is fantastic:

image.png.31dade4a23649f7e19b00987ddaa6747.pngimage.png.e7ad1441d6c43f3d9a31ded58b025a45.png

Those bats in Room 13 are moving battier than ever.  Love the challenge being upped slightly there as well.  And Room 19 - what kind of sadistic medieval weapons are rapidly heading towards our hero now?!?  A beautiful upgrade from the 'vanilla' mini-boulders.  The enhanced appearance alone has increased the intimation factor of the room, adding to the mental challenge.  Their animation is superb.

Room 25...I've been avoiding stating something for quite some time; nonetheless, for this boss, any chance of him doing a 'bounce' towards Knight Guy after he hits the floor?  Of all the bosses, this is my least favorite and very easy to beat.  A 'bounce' (even if a slow one) towards the player after he hits the floor would give it a bit more of a challenge.  If no bounce, maybe something can shoot out from it after hitting the floor.

The added rooms are fantastic, including the Skeleton with Crossbow one, which was a very nice surprise. The room that follows though, the spheres going back and forth, move quite slowly and do not present much of a challenge at all.  Perhaps their speed can be increased significantly (?) 

The double torture room (Just prior to our pal, Dopple) is probably my favorite of the new ones added.  Love the setup and the amount of time provided to succeed is perfect; not ridiculously fast, but no cakewalk either.  

The star of the release, our dopple buddy, what an awesome surprise and perhaps my first, "Oh, $hit!" moment.  That entrance is grand.  Something I did notice during our battle, when he prepares to send his sonic wave (lands from the jump - hits the floor - just before sending the 'wave'), the status area below corrupts/jumps.  Not sure if that's intentional or not, but thought it is worth a mention.  Regardless, the overall execution is fantastic.  The gray with red and blue is a nice throw back to the old 3D effects while also reminiscent of the glasses that used to pair with such coloring.  It works excellently and creates a very dramatic effect.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Trebor said:

Another pleasurable release to experience and play through, Beta 13 revision D, does not fail to excite.  Besides the aforementioned updates to castle walls, change-ups to previous room design are always wonderful to witness.  Further, as seen with so many other items, the crate, its design, is pure eye candy.  Sure, a 'simple' box with a few lines could have sufficed; however, there is such creativity in the shading and design work that once again I can't help but have an overwhelming feeling of professional presentation along with care and careful consideration:

image.png.037e96c6ffb7fd27497b51456eb8ae21.png

The crate wasn't even close to the end of it though.  Gameplay ante was upped.  I could be mistaken, but the acid drops appear to provide a little more of a challenge with faster drippage occurring. 

Knight Guy's coloring appeared a bit richer and it looks like he is now hanging out in $Fx land.  Good news for Flat Panel users, as unlike $1x, which typically leans more greenish under those display types and remains that way, $Fx receives more red over time, which will give him more of a gold look as the system warms up. 

For CRT owners, $1x is as it should be, presented 'golden'.  So with this move to $Fx, Knight Guy will start golden, but will lean towards somewhat of an orange (gold with some additional red) in appearance as the system warms up.  Regardless, a fair compromise, weighing and considering both modern and traditional display types. Another alternative would be to just pick from $2x.  The beginning story with our feline friend though, appears to have retained Hue $1x range for Knight Guy, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me.

One item I notice for this build, that appears to be a change for the worse unfortunately, is the background emphasize of wall pieces.  Previous builds have the wall background highlights looking more red/auburn in appearance, but currently is more of a taupe or a very muted green.  Unfortunately, it is very much lost to the background and hardly noticeable; ditto with the highlights within the stone work.  Before those background highlights really 'popped'.  On the other hand, as mentioned before, the wall design update is fantastic:

image.png.31dade4a23649f7e19b00987ddaa6747.pngimage.png.e7ad1441d6c43f3d9a31ded58b025a45.png

Those bats in Room 13 are moving battier than ever.  Love the challenge being upped slightly there as well.  And Room 19 - what kind of sadistic medieval weapons are rapidly heading towards our hero now?!?  A beautiful upgrade from the 'vanilla' mini-boulders.  The enhanced appearance alone has increased the intimation factor of the room, adding to the mental challenge.  Their animation is superb.

Room 25...I've been avoiding stating something for quite some time; nonetheless, for this boss, any chance of him doing a 'bounce' towards Knight Guy after he hits the floor?  Of all the bosses, this is my least favorite and very easy to beat.  A 'bounce' (even if a slow one) towards the player after he hits the floor would give it a bit more of a challenge.  If no bounce, maybe something can shoot out from it after hitting the floor.

The added rooms are fantastic, the Skeleton with Crossbow was a very nice surprise. The room that follows though, the spheres going back and forth, move quite slowly and do not present much of a challenge at all.  Perhaps their speed can be increased significantly (?) 

The double torture room (Just prior to our pal, Dopple) is probably my favorite of the new ones added.  Love the setup and the amount of time provided to succeed is perfect; not ridiculously fast, but no cakewalk either.  

The star of the release, our dopple buddy, what an awesome surprise and perhaps my first, "Oh, $hit!" moment.  That entrance is grand.  Something I did notice during our battle, when he prepares to send his sonic wave (lands from the jump - hits the floor - just before sending the 'wave'), the status area below corrupts/jumps.  Not sure if that's intentional or not, but thought it is worth a mention.  Regardless, the overall execution is fantastic.  The gray with red and blue is a nice throw back to the old 3D effects while also reminiscent of the glasses that used to pair with such coloring.  It works excellently and creates a very dramatic effect.

What a complete report!. Thank you.

The working name of the last boss is Lubeaf (Like U But Evil And Faster) but is not necessary the definitive name.

The little jump/distort of the Hud when Lubeaf lands is in fact intentional (shakescreen)

I made a compromise changing the colour of wall background because previous color was too distracting imo in higher temperatures and since the black of the helmet is in fact transparency it messed a little with knight sprite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vhzc said:

What a complete report!. Thank you.

My pleasure...thank *you*.

1 hour ago, vhzc said:

The working name of the last boss is Lubeaf (Like U But Evil And Faster) but is not necessary the definitive name.

Very creative - like it.

1 hour ago, vhzc said:

The little jump/distort of the Hud when Lubeaf lands is in fact intentional (shakescreen)

I presumed so, as it didn't seem cycles could possibly be an issue - thanks for making it definite in my mind.

1 hour ago, vhzc said:

I made a compromise changing the colour of wall background because previous color was too distracting imo in higher temperatures and since the black of the helmet is in fact transparency it messed a little with knight sprite.

Respectively disagree on the color being distracting and believe the benefits outweighs the negatives. 

However, completely understand and respect the decision. :)

Has there been any consideration or plans for music?  Even just a simple melody, such as the attached MP3 examples I put together.  Perhaps a simple melody can be played on TIA channel 1 while the effects are placed on TIA channel 2?  Nothing extravagant in the attached simplified melodies, just exemplifying the notion of maybe having one to leverage as a main theme/playback loop, the other looped during boss battles.

Adjust for TIA of course, as these are sourced from 'PC speaker' playback:

KGCD - Main EDIT.mp3

KGCD - Boss EDIT.mp3

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trebor said:

My pleasure...thank *you*.

Very creative - like it.

I presumed so, as it didn't seem cycles could possibly be an issue - thanks for making it definite in my mind.

Respectively disagree on the color being distracting and believe the benefits outweighs the negatives. 

However, completely understand and respect the decision. :)

Has there been any consideration to any music?  Even just a simple melody, such as the attached MP3 examples I put together.  Perhaps a simple melody can be played on TIA channel 1 while the effects are placed on TIA channel 2?  Nothing extravagant in the attached simplified melodies, just exemplifying the notion of maybe having one to leverage as a main theme/playback loop, the other looped during boss battles perhaps:

KGCD - Main EDIT.mp3 1.3 MB · 2 downloads

KGCD - Boss EDIT.mp3 507.18 kB · 2 downloads

The 2600 version has in fact a crude rendition of Greensleeves, but for now I simply don't know how to make something similar for 7800 but I was planning to make sounds tweaks after everything else is done.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vhzc said:

The 2600 version has in fact a crude rendition of Greensleeves, but for now I simply don't know how to make something similar for 7800 but I was planning to make sounds tweaks after everything else is done.

Of course, now I have to download and try the 2600 version. :)

*Pretends to not be slightly embarrassed by forgetting a 2600 port exists* 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

...Skeleton animation (even we he dies)...

It gives me a blended vibe of Dirk the Daring from Dragon's Lair and Arthur from Ghosts 'n Goblins dying...love it. Despite the aforementioned are the Protagonist in their respective titles and here we have an adversary.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Trebor said:

It gives me a blended vibe of Dirk the Daring from Dragon's Lair and Arthur from Ghosts 'n Goblins dying...love it. Despite the aforementioned are the Protagonist in their respective titles and here we have an adversary.

This is one if the coolest effects I’ve seen on a 7800 game.? 

Speaking of Dragon’s Lair, would love to see this on our beloved system.?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Speaking of Dragon’s Lair, would love to see this on our beloved system.?

Need the laserdisc expansion first for those expansion ports on the sides!!

LOL I know that won't happen (Laserdisc attachement), but it would be cool to see DL on the 7800. Not sure how that would be pulled off though?

This game inspires me to no end, it has that same great feeling as some of my childhood faves (like bruce lee and aztec challenge) that almost every room you encounter is something new and fun. I Also love the humourous approach "Knight Guy in Low Res World: Castle Days" best title ever haha! :D

On 9/14/2020 at 7:22 PM, sramirez2008 said:

3BFEE406-56A7-4341-9482-9BAB55A0A368.jpeg

Wow, it looks fantastic on crt too!

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Like 4

OK guys, last public beta before RC, game is practically completed. I call this version preliminary Knight Guy.

Only lacks the timer for the backtracking, results screen and some other UX/UI changes.

Also I will add secrets and stuff in the final release.

knightguyPKG20200919.a78

Edited by vhzc
  • Like 6

I will need to test this on my actual 7800 soon because the new room with the 3 large spike columns has some slight graphic glitching and slowdown in A7800. Be curious to see if the same happens on actual hardware. Otherwise I got through it but that last boss did take out quite a few of my lives so I'm glad I was fully stocked when I got to him. I also did something I don't usually do and that was to backtrack through after saving my pet. Same slowdown and graphic glitching on the same room but otherwise it seems to be working great!

Beta14_Time_Full.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I will need to test this on my actual 7800 soon because the new room with the 3 large spike columns has some slight graphic glitching and slowdown in A7800. Be curious to see if the same happens on actual hardware. 

I didn't notice the slight graphic glitch, but there is certainly a slowdown. When you enter the room (actual hardware) the spikes appear to move at normal speed, but then they slowdown. This occurred during the first run through, as well as, during my backtrack.  I added a video, but it's after the slowdown occurs. I'm sure @-^CrossBow^- can produce a better video. Other than this issue, I don't have any others to report. I do like that you can pick up a couple of lives during your backtrack to Room 00.  I'll replay again with the 'Cat'. 

Great game! That last boss looks really, really good.

Beta 14.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, vhzc said:

Thanks guys for testing and let me know about that glitch.

Hopefully this rev. corrects the issue.

I did not experience any glitching or slowdown - and the dragon is fantastic; testing the player's patience more than anything else.  :)

Am I missing something though?  The clock kept ticking up, but I am not seeing anything further to do at this point.

*EDIT:

Only lacks the timer for the backtracking, results screen and some other UX/UI changes.

Understood. :D

KG-CD-Complete.thumb.PNG.8e24e7ae803e71f8e20bfc78d57aea22.PNG