IGNORED

Knight Guy in Low Res World: Castle Days

vhzc

2 hours ago, Trebor said:

Am I missing something though?  The clock kept ticking up, but I am not seeing anything further to do at this point.

*EDIT:

Understood. :D

KG-CD-Complete.thumb.PNG.8e24e7ae803e71f8e20bfc78d57aea22.PNG

Spoilers!!!

Well, I suppose I will have to change the potion location... ?

Edited by vhzc
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, vhzc said:

Spoilers!!!

Well, I suppose I will have to change the potion location... ?

Edited 12 hours ago by vhzc

My apologies...initially the reply just stated, "Spoilers!!!" and the only portion that showed quoted was my inquiry if I was missing something more.  I presumed "Spoilers!!!" was the answer to my question, in that you did not want to reveal more of the game as it would provide too many spoilers.

The additionally statement edited in afterwards, about changing the potion location, made it clear what the exclamatory was really in regards to and the respective statement was removed from the prior response feedback.

For ROOM 98, after completing the task at hand, the floor is extended all the way up to the wall/screen ending...

Before.PNG.d1b2fb84ffe7321f424053b31b9a366a.PNG

...upon returning though, the right-most segment portion of the floor is missing:

After.PNG.c9e1f4eb9dcebabe162345584432d90f.PNG

In ROOM 93, while the ladder is fully extended, the game slows down considerably.  There's even a brief graphical glitch occasionally.  It is experienced both in Knight Guy's movement and the flames' flickering. 

image.thumb.png.00aa65d3945cb43ae1418ec7869ff053.png

Seems it may be tied to the current timer implementation for the ladder, as it does not occur when the ladder is extending, compressing, or fully compressed.   It also did not occur when the same room was utilized as ROOM 01 in earlier builds (I.E. Beta 09).

Slowdown does not occur when in other rooms with a timer, such as the bridge in ROOM 85.

There is also no slowdown with ROOM 57, despite platforms engaged on a timer and two sets of flame bursts when backtracking.

Unsure when this enhancement was performed, nonetheless, making it clear that going left of the waterfall would mean death is appreciated:

image.png.87d41fe79e4779080bf2f94daa45f9f7.png

Some earlier builds, could lead one to believe the step stone to the left was a safe path to follow. 

The moving water superimposed on top of it, in addition to it being in front of the water fill, creates a depth illusion of the stone being at the forefront while the actual action/movement would take place behind.  It is a very nice touch.

In ROOM 49, rightly so, Knight Guy cannot passthrough the column and stone starting from the right side. 

The player cannot proceed further at this height going right:

49.PNG.733a0ae266f5a07bdc044002210c9280.PNG

However, ROOM 50, Knight Guys can passthrough the same column and stone starting from the left side.

The player can proceed further at this height going left:

50.PNG.8056cb32eaa878511b49ecfc76d5db5f.PNG

The Room 93 slowdown only happens for me when I'm backtracking. 

I can confirm KGs column passthrough in Room 50 (from left side), as well as, the missing floor piece (upon return) in Room 98 and missing column pieces in Rooms 60/64.  Good eye @Trebor? 

• Like 1

See I only did the backtrack run on the previous build that had the other massive slowdown and even then only in emulation. When I've played it on my 7800 I've not tried to backtrack since thus far, there hasn't really been a reason too. 

On 9/22/2020 at 9:15 PM, vhzc said:

I can`t reproduce the slowdown in room 93 on emulator, I tried to optimize the code but I only can hope that it worked.

Other issues as inconsistencies in rooms 49/50 and unfair respawn in room 72 were corrected.

knightguyPKG20200919revc.a78 144.13 kB · 11 downloads

Just tested the latest ROM and the slowdown issue appears to have been resolved!? I completed a full backtrack of the game, bounced around as much as I could, climbed up/down ladders etc. and the game performed as expected. -Thanks for the latest update.

Beta 14update.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Just tested the latest ROM and the slowdown issue appears to have been resolved!? I completed a full backtrack of the game, bounced around as much as I could, climbed up/down ladders etc. and the game performed as expected. -Thanks for the latest update.

Beta 14update.jpg

Thank you very much for testing!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

My apologies that I haven't test this latest rom yet. Been busy with console requests for the past week and just haven't had free time to get to this. I will see what I can do tonight to give it a run through.

I really appreciate all the time you guys put in the testing. Since I have no means to test in actual hardware this project simply would not exist without the tester crew.

And there is not hurry, please don't feel forced.

• Like 6

Just a quick playthrough with not one hiccup to report:

KGCD-RC1.PNG.509a3e0c9e496cf97e5ccd1ecd8fed52.PNG

The AtariAge introduction splash screen is fantastic!  Our boy Bones needed some additional attention, even if it is of the crushing variety.  Love the new 'mini-tornado' warp/swirl entrance of Knight Guy;  double so when 'warping' in-game.  Our hero is also looking brighter and shinier than ever, great job! I do love how the games color aesthetics continue to play into the phase/degree shifting of the palette as the system warms up.  Most noticeable with the castle walls and floor as well as background highlights and emphasis, it works in a number of ways and looks great overall. 

The right-side console buttons seem to have no real convenient effect with holding down "RESET" just freezing the action until release.  Perhaps "SELECT" (Or "RESET") can be used to return the player back to the Title screen.

Counting down instead of up with the game clock is a brilliant move providing somewhat of a sense of urgency without being ridiculous restrictive in regards to a player's exploration and pacing.  It seems our final boss battle has been tweaked some making it slightly more difficult to beat, unless I am recollecting incorrectly. 

Nothing more to add except having two more secrets to discover the next playthrough and looking forward to hopefully having a background melody present when this reaches finalization.  Above all else and most importantly, this game continues to be fun - a lot of fun. Outstanding work, Vladimir!

• Like 1