IGNORED

Knight Guy in Low Res World: Castle Days

vhzc

I haven't had a chance to playthrough the new Beta yet, but just a quick mention as I briefly tried it...

Thank goodness I came back here to find out the jump was changed.  I really figured for a moment or two I was losing it wondering what happened to my gameplay ability.

I stink up the place with the test jump.  I lost all my lives on the first set of spikes more than once.  It's Classic Jump vote for me as well.

I'll be able to give this a proper play through (utilizing Classic Jump) likely later on this weekend.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, vhzc said:

New Title screen:

Now Knight Guy looks more similar to the sprite.

I liked the beta11 one a lot, but this one looks nice as well. I miss the platform he was standing on before though.

As for the jump, between the test and classic, I definitely prefer classic, but still think it deserves to be tweaked some more to feel more natural.

Anyway, awesome work so far.  I love this and can't wait to buy it when finished.

• Like 3

Yeap the classic jumping mechanic makes all the difference for me! I completed Beta 11 with the original jumping routing (And dying more than usual) in 12:19. 

I just finished it after loading up the classic jump on my Mateos and played it on my 7800. There is a difference..

Beta11_Time.thumb.jpg.516e31be92c1de7199900be9fbf302fe.jpg

• Like 4

Wow...what a release!!!  Went back and refined those bats to be better proportioned in size to Knight Guy...and that fire pit way in the beginning, either I've missed some animation all along, or that too was fine tuned with near glowing embers catching my eye.

The new boss is great as well.  Two heads are better than one.

But I have to say, between them gator heads being jumped on and the leaping frogs/toads, I thought I would run into Quickclaw, if not Harry himself.  Absolute fantastic release, these latest room additions ramp up the eye candy a few notches even more. 

Phenomenal playthrough -^CrossBow^-.  I thought I was pretty hot at 14:26, but you, sir, are absolute fire.  

And it's hand down classic jump for me.  Not against refining the jump whatsoever, but that test jump (20200827) is not the one, IMHO.

• Like 3

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 8:17 PM, bizarrostormy said:

The Beta 11 title screen looked cluttered. I like the composition of this newer one much more. Nicer castle, too!

The Knight Guy is also stylized better, and his pose is also more dynamic than on the previous title screen.  I agree that it is a big improvement, nice work vhzc.

Edited by NostAlgae37
  • Like 2

I'm going on the opposite side here and state that I liked the previous title screen better. It included the platform he was standing on which, represents what the game looks like and that it is a platformer.

I also prefer the more Knight in armor look vs this. Since when did any of the artwork on a game match to the sprite? If anything, the artwork was always more detailed to drive our imaginations that much more. Also if he is wearing a suit of armor, than this latest title screen only shows that he is wearing a helmet. The rest would be gold boots, gold tights, maybe a gold chest piece, but gold shirt and gloves instead of actual gauntlets etc. 

To me this new title screen seems less epic to the scope of the game and instead just has Knight Guy showing off like Sonic as the end of Sonic 1?

Be interested to see what it looks like without the gold outline around him as well?

• Like 1

We'll be checking out the updated Knight Guy on tomorrow's (Tue Sep 01) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I'm going on the opposite side here and state that I liked the previous title screen better. It included the platform he was standing on which, represents what the game looks like and that it is a platformer...

I also prefer the more Knight in armor look vs this.

...To me this new title screen seems less epic to the scope of the game and instead just has Knight Guy showing off like Sonic as the end of Sonic 1?

The more I look at it, the more I agree.  Just wanted to throw my hat in there if anyone cares for opinion counts.  :lol:

15 minutes ago, KevinMos3 said:

The more I look at it, the more I agree.  Just wanted to throw my hat in there if anyone cares for opinion counts.  :lol:

Here's the most recent title and the ones before it...

knightguy3.png.3751d4ef0f6e45c52ec71e09f1b73f11.png

knightguy2.png.654d21877a90392d01af1519217cecfc.png

knightguy1.thumb.png.93c3145fd5ee7e87ec5662777521276b.png

...to me the new one matches the chibi'ish proportions of the in-game knight better, and oozes personality. A little "Sonic" isn't necessarily a bad thing. I do like the platform on the previous one though.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RevEng said:

Here's the one before it...

knightguy2.png.654d21877a90392d01af1519217cecfc.png

...to me the new one matches the chibi'ish proportions of the in-game knight better, and oozes personality. A little "Sonic" isn't necessarily a bad thing. I do like the platform on the previous one though.

I think that the biggest drawback of the previous title screen was the perspective (it foreshortened the Knight Guy's proportions a bit too severely, in my opinion).  Also, the armor looked a bit too clunky and angular for my tastes, but it wasn't bad at all and would have sufficed in lieu of something better.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

We'll be checking out the updated Knight Guy on tomorrow's (Tue Sep 01) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

1338777039_20200901-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.0c82b82b2059f8aae5716e2c22a746cb.jpg

Cool! just please make sure to use the rom with the classic jump and not the massively hated failure that is the test jump one ?

• Like 1

I made the new title screen to match the look of the guy sprite and get a cleaner composition and frankly I am happy with how it turns out, but also the new one uses less rom space, so I free some extra space for more in-game sprites.

Also the new design allowed to detach and use a different palette in the castle.

Edited by vhzc
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, vhzc said:

Cool! just please make sure to use the rom with the classic jump and not the massively hated failure that is the test jump one ?

Hahah, oh definitely, I've been noticing the comments and will use the classic jump binary. ?  I'll also be playing the game using A7800 instead of the browser emulator for less joystick lag so I don't run into the issues I did last time.

- James

• Like 1