IGNORED

Latest BJL ROM Image

cubanismo

On 7/18/2020 at 5:00 PM, cubanismo said:

I know everyone has Skunkboards and gamedrives now, but I like that I can develop on any Jaguar with ~$15 of off-the-shelf parts and a little soldering.

But with BJL you are restricted to 2MB of RAM, you can't use the ROM space as "mass-storage".

10 minutes ago, swapd0 said:

But with BJL you are restricted to 2MB of RAM, you can't use the ROM space as "mass-storage".

A limited RAM does not have to be the worst. Forces you to concentrate on game play rather than fancy graphics ;-)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Believe it or not, there are others out there who still want BJL modded jags, so I've done a few more of these.  One update to the digikey BOM I posted above: Don't use the 3M sockets with the round holes.  The ROM chips don't sit super-tight in them and will fall out if knocked around a bit (e.g., when you ship a newly modded Jaguar through a network of disgruntled postal workers).  Instead, use something like these dirt-cheap ones that hang on to the ROM for dear life:

Adam Tech ICS-632-T - IC SOCKET, DIP, 32P 2.54MM PITCH

Be careful pulling a chip out of these.  They fit tight enough you risk yanking the socket off if you don't go slowly.  Learned that the hard way as well of course.

Here's the full updated parts list:

BJL Mod part list on Digi-Key

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One other note on BJL ROM images: I was cleaning out my trove of misc. jaguar docs I downloaded in my "Follow all links & read everything" phase of ramp-up, and came across a file called "Jag_cart_transfer.PDF" with no indication of where it came from.  It referenced a BJL ROM image that ran a utility which would checksum and dump Jaguar cartridges over the JagLink/Serial port using Xmodem.  Googling for the ROM image name itself found nothing, but Googling for the document found me this directory:

ftp://ftp.untergrund.com/users/ggn/temp/jag_cart_trans

Which appears to contain the BJL image:

ftp://ftp.untergrund.com/users/ggn/temp/jag_cart_trans/bjl0702.bin

As well as various other files useful if you're interested in the cartridge dumping functionality.  I haven't tested this yet, but it's another option if you're looking for BJL images to burn to your BIOS EEPROM and prefer dumping cartridges over playing a little Marble Madness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2020 at 2:28 AM, cubanismo said:

Believe it or not, there are others out there who still want BJL modded jags, so I've done a few more of these.  One update to the digikey BOM I posted above: Don't use the 3M sockets with the round holes.  The ROM chips don't sit super-tight in them and will fall out if knocked around a bit (e.g., when you ship a newly modded Jaguar through a network of disgruntled postal workers).  Instead, use something like these dirt-cheap ones that hang on to the ROM for dear life:

Adam Tech ICS-632-T - IC SOCKET, DIP, 32P 2.54MM PITCH

Be careful pulling a chip out of these.  They fit tight enough you risk yanking the socket off if you don't go slowly.  Learned that the hard way as well of course.

Here's the full updated parts list:

BJL Mod part list on Digi-Key

I love BJL! However, I wish there was a USB cable version.

Edited by CrazyChris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
42 minutes ago, omf said:

humm, i don't recall releasing the files in one of those folders to the public.  not going to say what or where, but yeah, interesting!!!

All files were from attachments or links provided in this thread.

Just the same, the file has been taken down.

Chris

• 11 months later...
On 10/19/2020 at 11:16 AM, cubanismo said:

One other note on BJL ROM images: I was cleaning out my trove of misc. jaguar docs I downloaded in my "Follow all links & read everything" phase of ramp-up, and came across a file called "Jag_cart_transfer.PDF" with no indication of where it came from.  It referenced a BJL ROM image that ran a utility which would checksum and dump Jaguar cartridges over the JagLink/Serial port using Xmodem.  Googling for the ROM image name itself found nothing, but Googling for the document found me this directory:

ftp://ftp.untergrund.com/users/ggn/temp/jag_cart_trans

Which appears to contain the BJL image:

ftp://ftp.untergrund.com/users/ggn/temp/jag_cart_trans/bjl0702.bin

As well as various other files useful if you're interested in the cartridge dumping functionality.  I haven't tested this yet, but it's another option if you're looking for BJL images to burn to your BIOS EEPROM and prefer dumping cartridges over playing a little Marble Madness.

FYI, the above links don't work for me anymore, but these https variants do:

https://ftp.untergrund.net/users/ggn/temp/jag_cart_trans

https://ftp.untergrund.net/users/ggn/temp/jag_cart_trans/bjl0702.bin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1