IGNORED

Nanopeb rs232 uses

jrhodes

Could the rs232 on the nanopeb be used for one of those displays like pictured here?

ser402-nlw_01.png.dab6187854cd29cf74c7ebbdb2e8f94e.png

Omega has mentioned he had a mouse on his rs232 (not nanopeb), could you do the same with the nanopeb (yes, i'm aware of tipi mouse)?

Ohter then terminal file transfer and printers, what other things could you do with the nano's rs232 port?

Could the rs232 on the nanopeb be used for one of those displays like pictured here?
ser402-nlw_01.png.dab6187854cd29cf74c7ebbdb2e8f94e.png
Omega has mentioned he had a mouse on his rs232 (not nanopeb), could you do the same with the nanopeb (yes, i'm aware of tipi mouse)?
Ohter then terminal file transfer and printers, what other things could you do with the nano's rs232 port?
We have a lot more of a chance of figuring it out if you linked where you got that picture from preferably the actual product or project

as far as using a serial mouse with ti there's a driver I seriously doubt it works with the Nano but it's always worth a try. It may have to be patched to enable the port

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

While it would take a little work, it should be drivable from BASIC.  The the RS232 on the nanoPEB is pretty standard.  I've written software to set up my printer's print modes on my ancient Kodak Inkjet.

Based on what I am reading in the data sheet, the device looks like it performs like a printer.

A simple Open #1:"RS232",OUTPUT  and PRINT #1:... should work?  (Of course the user must supply the escape codes, etc. as well as any needed cable customizations. 

Snippet from the datasheet:

... the data connection is made to a standard RS-232C/RS-422 interface. Transfer rate can be 
set by jumper on 300, 1200, 2400 or 9600 Baud.

image.thumb.png.dd8c5eb3c30d246c468a21b8cb70464b.png

Of course, since I don't own one, I am probably wrong! ?

• Like 1

It looks like it should just plug right in, so I would think so.  It should be no different than me using my RS232 port to send log data to my Win98 machine to debug programs, or to transfer files back and forth.  Maybe even easier; I have to go through a null-modem cable.

K-R.

on a related note at https://www.nanopeb.com/

he has a WiFi adapter for the nanopeb that attaches to the RS232 port. is he selling this yet and has anyone bought one?

Yeah he's sold a few I bought a bunch and sold them I'm not sure if anybody is using them for anything because they're not a traditional Wi-Fi adapter to access the internet they're more like specialty tool that only works with his software to send TCP packets kind of they are not a Wi-Fi modem or an internet interface like Tipi

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 4:42 PM, arcadeshopper said:

as far as using a serial mouse with ti there's a driver I seriously doubt it works with the Nano but it's always worth a try. It may have to be patched to enable the port

What was that issue with port enabling? Does the NanoPeb port respond at >1340 only if >1300 is set? And the TI card is the other way? Or have I got them the wrong way round?

1 hour ago, FarmerPotato said:

What was that issue with port enabling? Does the NanoPeb port respond at >1340 only if >1300 is set? And the TI card is the other way? Or have I got them the wrong way round?

The nano creator did not properly mirror the existing architecture found in the PEB and sidecar RS232s, namely, one does NOT need to turn on the card ROM to access the CRU IO.  So in many direct-access programs, you will not find any SBO 0 / SBZ 0 sequences.  Simple answer is that to "fix" existing code to work with a nanopeb 9902 serial port, one must enable/disable [set/reset] CRU bit 0 at the card base 1300/1500.  This can be done by injecting code or hacking the existing code.

He was asked long ago to fix the hardware implementation and declined.  Meh.