IGNORED

Player Width?

KevKelley

I am familiar with the melt away effect using playerheight but I was curious if there was a method of changing player width to kind of shrink the sprite.

My thought was the sprite going into something where it appears to disappear without making sever different sprites and just swapping the sprites out as their x coordinate changes. 

What about making the sprite go behind the playfield? Or maybe go behind missile0?

As a quick test, I enlarged missile0 and moved a virtual sprite to it and it went behind it:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#ex_dpc_13_objects

• Like 1

I was aiming to not have it go behind a playfield, as I have other sprites that would need to remain above the playfield.

I am not sure if the other example would be applicable. More specifically, I would be using the DPC+ and getting to the edge of the screen, since I wouldn't be doing anything like PF0=%11110000 to hide it off screen. I had considered virtual sprite masking but I also am using a quad-sized sprite.

I might be able to do something with missile0. I am not 100% sure how that would look for my intended use. Wouldn't the max width for the missile be 8 pixels, where as the quad-sized sprite would be 16 pixels wide? 

I had thought of using a mix of missile0 and then also decreasing the NUSIZ size of the sprite. 

Looking at R.T.s NUSIZ table we only get to stretch the resources - not shrink.

But, it sounds like your real objective isn't to make sprites thinner.  

Besides positioning sprites off screen my usual go to method is to just make the sprite a single row of 0's

_player0:

_%00000000

end

Here is an example of what I was considering:

Have quad-sized sprite move right (player6x=player6x+1). Once it hits the end have it appear to gradually go off screen as if it was 8 pixels wide... Then 7... Then 6... Etc. So that it doesn't reappear immediately non the left side of the screen.

I had considered either drawing 7 different sprites and swap them out each increment of players+1 or a combination of sprites and as it shrinks change the size (I thought the virtual mask covers 8 pixels but I may be wrong) so I can start with quad, use virtual mask, shrink to double sized and so on...

But I thought there might be a better way or maybe a different way than what I was thinking, like something I can swap out like when I have read about swapping a sprite for a score sprite...

if the bg and pf is a single color in the horisontal region where it goes of screen, you can use the ball and the other players missile (if you're using player6 use missile0)

and make them 8 pixels wide and 3 close copies, and color of bg

# # #

# # #

put one of them 8ish pixels away from the others xposition

######

now you can put it on the opposite screen side

if the player doesn't move behind one of them, 

you can do the same thing with player0

or just use player0 with the same width as your other sprite,

you might have to swap player6 and player0 for the correct priority

• Like 1

That is interesting. I started to play around with using balls or missiles, as the background and playfield are the same colors at that spot. Not quite sure if I will use the missiles yet. What I had worked on as a temporary fix was have the sprite scroll back and forth and then I have a spot where it can scroll up. But since I am playing around with with these ideas I am not sure what may stick. 

I have plenty of space so I may just make 8 different sprites. But if it turns out I don't use them I may just do that as an effective workaround. I did realize that I was doing the sprite masking all wrong in the past and, as I encountered this issue with Bag Boy. Now I know!