IGNORED

Speech syn for beige TI-99/4a

hloberg

Well...

It came off the printer.  The gap is not sufficient.  Parts are permawelded together. (when subjected to a flat punch and a hammer, the parts shatter irregularly, rather than break along the seams. the seams have too great a level of layer adhesion.)  Gonna have to revisit the model, and increase the gap distances.

That means at least another 3 days printing.

Oh such fun!

EDIT

Ok, model gap increased to .25mm between parts.  This is consistent with the built-in support material, which does actually release on hammer tap.  It also means that the bottom lip of the door is gonna be a bit ugly. Oh well. 

Will report back in 3 more days. (well, 3 days, 4.5 hours)

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 4

3rd time must be the charm.

While it was able to release in some places, it adhered strongly in others.  A third printing with a gap or .4mm (The width of the damn nozzle!!) is being performed.

It appears that vertical gap and horizontal gap are not equal with this printer.  A vertical gap of .25mm was sufficient to detatch with a little prying.  However, horizontally, this just makes a butt-joint, and sticks like concrete. 

I will eventually get this right.

• Like 2

Success on door.  Not glued shut this time.

Fail on support material.  Must have gotten in a hurry; exported the wrong stl. (rather, I exported the wrong part of the tree as the STL... Was before I made cuts in it to permit removal) the material webbing was embedded in the "porch" inside the door.

I will deffo have it this time though.  I triple checked my models before running the slicer, then checked the preview passes in the slicer.

• Thanks 2

Tell me about it.

Here's the path preview from the slicer for the correction.  The cut in the support material is very visible now. In the failed print, it was continuous with the material in the right-hand side of the bay, leaving no way to mechanically remove the material above the porch.

image.thumb.png.4da2f033fd4255a063257b306e1609ea.png

Further, the modeled in gap between that leftmost bit of material (both above and below the porch) was essentially 0.  Less than 0 actually, as the cut was not made in the STL, and the two were intersecting.

It is corrected now.

image.thumb.png.991174f20590ce38a958237c742fe3e1.png

image.thumb.png.ea6b2e43c47cefc7a90bde457c419f4d.png

The theory of production is as follows:

Open the lid, and remove the leftmost section of support material from above the porch.  Close the lid and flip over. Pry off the "Wings" of support from the sides (that hold up the bridging operation for the sidecar slot). Tap the underside of the support material with a hammer to knock it loose from the underside of the porch and from the top of the main vertical bay area.  Remove.

All of those operations were successful except for where it intersected with the porch.  Since that seems to be fixed now, this next print "Should work".

The magic gap numbers appear to be ~.25 to .3mm for vertical spacing, and .4mm for horizontal spacing. Smaller vertical gapping (.25mm end of range) makes a cleaner under surface, but sticks slightly, and needs a little prying.  .4mm horizontal gapping ends up leaving a fine line of gap between horizontal paths, which is enough to not adhere at all. The lid of the last failed print opened without any real effort. Still close enough that it does not rattle though, so .4mm appears to be the ideal horizontal spacing for this printer.

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 6:17 PM, Omega-TI said:

I'm starting to get excited.  I have noticed one thing though, now that I have an interest in beige, it's damn near impossible to find a NEW flat screen monitor that has a beige housing.

I don't know if I ever seen a flat screen with a beige housing. Silver, white, black even saw a red, white and blue one (a kids monitor) but never a beige.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, hloberg said:

I don't know if I ever seen a flat screen with a beige housing. Silver, white, black even saw a red, white and blue one (a kids monitor) but never a beige.

Yeah, bummer huh.  I was surprised to find a NEW 12", 15", 17" or 19" 4:3 ratio LCD monitor that does VGA, HDMI and Composite.  << HERE >>  While the price is reasonable, it's still a little too spendy to spray paint.

2 hours ago, hloberg said:

Actually just seen one thrown away today because it was practically destroyed.

• Like 1

Actually those are not bad, but my beige unit does not have an F18A in it.... yet!

The nice thing about the one I posted is that I could use it now as a composite, or use it with an F18A and possibly in the future HDMI (or a slight variant possibly using an adapter).  It's all moot anyway since I'm not gonna spend that much for a monitor I would not feel comfortable spray painting.

However, I do have a real cheap composite monitor, albeit very small that I would not have a problem painting...

gallery_35324_1027_6682840.gif

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, fimbulvetr said:

They exist. I have a NEC MultiSync LCD1545v that matches the beige of my 486 perfectly.

Interesting, I << LOOKED IT UP >> and was surprised to see on system requirements it needs Microsoft OS?  I cannot imagine that.

multisync_lcd1545v.pdf

<< THIS >> similar model on Ebay looked promising... until I saw the price + shipping.

However << THIS >> one is affordable and two tone to match the TI... and it's a 17" model.  

I'll probably revisit the beige monitor subject after my beige sidecars arrive.

22 minutes ago, Omega-TI said:

Interesting, I << LOOKED IT UP >> and was surprised to see on system requirements it needs Microsoft OS?  I cannot imagine that.

That is news to me. Probably was for whatever crap drivers came packaged with it when it was new. I paid $5 at Value Village for mine.

Which reminds me, I also have a beige Dell LCD monitor, Model No. 1701FP that I got at Value Village. The style of the NEC matches the case of my 486 better though. 

3 hours ago, fimbulvetr said:

They exist. I have a NEC MultiSync LCD1545v that matches the beige of my 486 perfectly.

about the time flat panel monitors really became a thing beige on computers had died out with computers and black had mostly taken over as the color of choice (still today).  there were some early white and silver to match Apple computers of the time (Imac minis) but I cannot think of any computers from the beginning of the flat panel monitors begin that were beige. anybody got an idea of one? did the Amigas and the STs make it that far?

There were still a lot of beige systems in the early flat screen era, but even thinking back on what I saw on sale back then, less than a quarter of the flat screen monitors were beige--and a lot of the later CRT monitors were black or dark gray too, come to think of it, so that transition period went all over the map.

Tada!

20201006_221132.thumb.jpg.e28eb428f7bba2f2787511107220207d.jpg20201006_221229.thumb.jpg.d60d15d19c6914ff2fce7cc1365975d0.jpg

No sanding yet; came off the printer just as it was time to head to work-- barely had time to remove the support material.

I think I need to thicken the porch a little...  but this is still a "functional engineering sample"!!

WHEE!  See how that door works?  It does not stay open though, and wants to fall shut, but the fact that it actually opens and shuts is damned exciting for me.  The letters need to be gouged out with the sewing pin, (though I a thinking I should upgrade to a leather worker's awl because it is more rigid and easier to control)

Next up is the bottom of the enclosure. 

You feeling the excitement yet Omega? ;)

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1