IGNORED

Speech syn for beige TI-99/4a

hloberg

It looks like water and laundry soap, illuminated by a UV light, contained inside an Erlenmeyer flask.

(Or some similarly UV illuminating compound in water, in such an arrangement)

(that wikipedia article has interesting implications.. PVA supposedly boosts the effect tremendously huh?  now I want to test it!)

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 8:11 PM, Omega-TI said:

@twoodland, I figured what the hell, I had time this evening so I got out my camera, took a photo, removed the background, cropped and aligned the image and then printed it up on a clear label.  It's nearly identical in size.  Send me a PM and I'll get it out in the Monday mail.

DONE.png.1d2b69fc6379130eeb873f2f78be042e.png

Delay... sorry.  It'll have to wait until tomorrows (Tuesday) mail.  I forgot today was a holiday.

** EDIT**  - On the way...

Edited by Omega-TI
Update

There are so many different shades of << SPRAY PAINT >>!!  If one wanted to "TIify" a spare flat screen monitor to the two tone look of a beige console, I wonder which two would be the "closest match".  I'm thinking the monitors base as the "desert tan?" color and the beige for the area around the screen.  Then a clear label with the Texas Instruments official badging.  I'd probably go with laser waterslide paper so it could be grey, tan and blue, just like on the console. 

My eyes are not what they used to be, but I'm thinking Navajo White and Fossil.  Can someone please double check me or make a suggestion? Thanks!

Navajo White.JPG

Fossil.JPG

Edited by Omega-TI
Inquiry added
  • Like 1

32kTop_WITHDoor.stp32kBottom.stpTop_32k_door.stlBottom_32k_door.stl

OK.  Here is the "Current working" revision of the "with door" enclosure.

The built in support material is kinda expensive, so you might want to revise. 

This is ordinary PLA, with a layer height of .1mm

Because the supports are baked-in, turn support generation off in your slicer.  I baked the supports in, because my slicer wants to incorporate supports inside the holes for the M3 stand-offs.

The actual materials used, are "Desert Tan" PLA from GLRobotics, and "Wood" PLA from Lee-Fung

The Desert Tan is a good, hard, and rigid PLA. Sands beautifully.

The "Wood" PLA is NOT "Wood fiber", it is just "Wood colored".  It is actually a somewhat "Gummy" PLA, that sands kinda poorly. However, I have not found a suitable colored replacement.

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2020 at 10:37 AM, wierd_w said:

Oh? Want eye candy?

A bit more work done on rough sanding before bed.

20201011_123558.thumb.jpg.6764e8498d52021c1a0df75eab20872f.jpg

I have a friend who thinks I devote too much time to, "that old obsolete computer", yeah I know, he doesn't "get it".  Interestingly he spends at least twice the time breathing sawdust in his shop on a daily basis, so he really cannot judge.  Anyway, I showed him a photo of these jewels today and he was surprised that someone could "print boxes".  I was shocked that there are still people that do not know about 3D printers.... but the guy is 82 after all, so I'll cut him some slack.

• Like 2

So, how shiny do you want these? 

I have some 2000 grit paper that is able to put "Glossy shine" finish on this plastic. (got a few spots that has happened in accidentally while trying to get all the rough sanding marks out, but I was going to go over with a melamine sponge to get satin finish afterward.)  It will just take longer.

I aim to please, so let me know.  I need to scrape together some packing materials to send these.

• Like 3

OK.  I have them both at more or less "High gloss" now. 

I am not terribly happy with the normal speech synth box though. Those letters really irk me.  While I will send the unit, I am thinking I will make another one to send to replace it later. (you have waited enough, and I am super picky)

I AM however, rather happy with the one with the door, cosmetically speaking.

I am gonna go hit up the local walmart, and get some rubber feet to stick on them.

• Like 3

On 10/12/2020 at 10:17 AM, wierd_w said:

Might be-- seems to be this desktop toy.

https://www.thegreenhead.com/2015/12/magic-potion-lamp.php

However, the stuff inside a tidepod (the white swirl) is concentrated UV brightener, and looks just as cool when illuminated with UV light.

Correct!  My son bought it for me.