IGNORED

Speech syn for beige TI-99/4a

hloberg

5 hours ago, Mehridian Sanders said:

ok trying this out with the Wood PLA see how it turns out. Using your Settings as specified. Bottom is going to take about 12 hours 43 mins to print

243424470_SpeechSynthBottom.thumb.JPG.6b9d810ccd21abef3244d99fcb546d30.JPG

If It goes well I will start up the print in the beige I picked up.

so yeah it printed a wooden ball of yarn. I will tweak the settings a bit seems like those were not good for my PLA... you using 1.75mm?

Essentially--

When doing a 3D print-- any 3D print, the initial layer is very very important.

You need to have a good adhesion to the build plate, such that thermal or mechanical stresses are insufficient for the layer to delaminate from that surface prematurely.  This is where things like Brims and Rafts come into play.

When making a part that has low-contact-surface|Volume characteristics (such as my bottom half of this part), mechanical forces are a leading cause of delamination. (EG, the head moving around on top of the deposited prior layer produces enough friction that it can rip it off the build plate, resulting in a tangled ball of extruded plastic streamers.)  To combat this, a wide, thin surrounding structure is deposited, that adds mechanical anchoring, making it harder to dislodge the part from the build surface from mechanical dragging.

When making a part that has high density|volume, thermal dissipation (and thus, the impacts of thermal differences from top to bottom result in uneven strain forces inside the material) can easily cause warping in the part, which then mechanically pries the part from the surface or worse.  A raft helps, because it is a thick, elevated structure that is closer to ambient temperature, and it is printed sparsely in contact with the print bed.

In this case, I strongly suggest using a fairly wide brim, both inside and outside contours.

• Like 1

That is pretty cool.  I found one of the Krylon colors was a perfect match for Amigas, and a light coat across a lightly faded or yellowed machine did wonders.  But the past decade has seen new cases made from original molds (C64C) or perfectly reproduced with features accommodating modern peripherals (A500.)  I also got a run of A1200 cases, which I cannot recall if these were custom molds or from the originals -- pretty certain they are custom.  Anyway, I am getting OT here.

I ordered more M3 stand offs. (Since I have kinda run out in my screw bin, after this many prototypes along the road..)  While I wait for them in the mail, I have looked into possible reasons for the "not great" print quality I experienced.

Looked like my screw gear Z axis, and the linear bearings for all 3 axes, had gotten a bit "dry".  I applied lots of machine oil and ran it through its paces. 

I am now in the middle of printing a 2-toned instance of this enclosure, that has the enlarged bay for better shield installation, and which has the really deep lettering.  Currently printing the "wood" colored PLA for the bottom. Looks like it is printing OK. We will find out in about a day.

• Like 2

The bottom half (that accepts the RF shield and the speech board) finished printing.  The RF Shield installs WAAY easier now. Just drops right in. Very nice.

Another 2 days or so will be required to print the new top with the deeper lettering.

This brings up an interesting question:

I have a "Very tight fit, and with not so pretty lettering, but otherwise fully functional" beige enclosure.  Given the fastidiousness @hloberg has for matching the color, I would presume he is just as fastidious about lettering and such-- so I do not want to send him this enclosure. (I will wait until I have one that I am perfectly satisfied is of high quality in its make and build for that.)  Does anyone else want this beige enclosure?  I have a black and silver TI, and the original shell is perfectly fine for my needs. If I were to do the "Tipi +32k in speech enclosure" thing, I would use the models I have made, but print them in black, so really-- this enclosure is just gonna sit around collecting dust in some drawer some place.  I would like to send it someone who will give it a home instead. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wierd_w said:

The bottom half (that accepts the RF shield and the speech board) finished printing.  The RF Shield installs WAAY easier now. Just drops right in. Very nice.

Another 2 days or so will be required to print the new top with the deeper lettering.

This brings up an interesting question:

I have a "Very tight fit, and with not so pretty lettering, but otherwise fully functional" beige enclosure.  Given the fastidiousness @hloberg has for matching the color, I would presume he is just as fastidious about lettering and such-- so I do not want to send him this enclosure. (I will wait until I have one that I am perfectly satisfied is of high quality in its make and build for that.)  Does anyone else want this beige enclosure?  I have a black and silver TI, and the original shell is perfectly fine for my needs. If I were to do the "Tipi +32k in speech enclosure" thing, I would use the models I have made, but print them in black, so really-- this enclosure is just gonna sit around collecting dust in some drawer some place.  I would like to send it someone who will give it a home instead. 

I'll take it! 

After a misprint (because my upstairs suddenly got real cold because of a sudden bout of september winter-like weather, probably due to the fires in colorado and california screwing with the weather), the new top is approaching completion.  I note that some of the letters have issues. It may be necessary to enlarge the font slightly, because of lack of resolution in the printer I have.  I am not gonna mess with that too much right now though, I will just clean out the recess with the sharp part of some sewing pins before backfilling.

I picked up some slow setting (5minute) epoxy in some bulk bottles.  Gonna try that instead of the UV resin. (Been overcast and rainy for days. UV torch still MIA, no idea where it got off to.) 

I am also re-touching the letters on the one I will send to arcadeshopper.  Monday rolls around, I will visit the post office and send it on its merry way.

• Like 1

The new top has finished printing, Standoffs installed, shell assembled.

Sanding underway.

I have noticed a consistent printing anomaly, that is likely due to thermal contraction.  In the top part, the walls seem to want to "bend inward" by a good half millimeter or so.  This is unfortunate if you want the walls to be nice and smooth, as it means "aggressive sanding" is needed.

I am thinking I will need to model in some material stiffening wedges in the inside of the walls to discourage this.

There is more than enough material to sand through the anomaly and get nice flat walls. It just is a lot of extra bother.  Fixing it for any future prints is good medicine.

(I hope to one day end up with a "bulletproof" set of models that always prints nice, is aesthetically pleasing, and retains the very "rigid feel" this enclosure currently boasts. It really does feel very sturdy in your hands.)

• Like 2

The epoxy + toner powder alternative seems to work just fine.  (It's even cheaper than the UV resin I tried first, even.)

After work tonight I will finish the letters on the 2-tone enclosure.  (I mixed up a small 5mL of the mixture in a paper cup, and dobbed it into the letters then razor bladed the surface to avoid having to sand through a huge excess of material.  The letters just jumped right out at me. It's still not perfect, because my printer is not the most accurate with its steppers, but it looks pretty sharp all the same. Making them deeper was clearly the right call.  It should be cured enough to sand after work, and then I will take pictures.)

Since this seems to work fine, I bet I could use this with loose colored toners just fine too.  Could be interesting for more detailed image decals. (Red and white TI logos, using 50-50 mix of magenta and yellow toner powders, and fine-sanded refuse white PLA powder left over from sanding?)

• Like 2