IGNORED

Speech syn for beige TI-99/4a

hloberg

7 hours ago, wierd_w said:

OK, how's this look for a "No Door" version?

image.thumb.png.0255f6b53630235acdd14844e5ae0f5c.png

Note the tiny hole for LED activity light to shine through.  (It's a swept hole, that is bigger on the inside so that the LED can fit, but this allows the foot/wall to retain more integrity.)

Here's the back.

image.png.142a0905927eb548468add28ba938a28.png

Hmm.. should the led protrude?

I think I am gonna have to order more desert tan.  The top parts of the enclosures use a lot of material. (This is fine, I personally hate flimsy enclosures; these things are paired up with systems that have withstood multiple decades of ill-treatment, more often than not, and weathered it with aplomb. I think any peripheral enclosures need to meet that same standard. You need to be able to play baseball with the things, in my opinion; and that's how I designed these.)

I am gonna have to do test prints of both "No door" and "With door" models, and I don't think I have enough tan left. (lots of wood color, but the desert tan is in high demand.)

AND

2 rolls ordered.  That should get me through this project.

When christmas rolls around dont forget me ok? ;)

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 3

Well, I picked up my non-Mitsumi Beige TI today...... SCORE!  This unit is in PRISTINE CONDITION, I mean there is not a scratch on it, even at the the cartridges port.  It even came in the original box!  As you can see (if you zoom in by clicking on the photo a few times), I'll need to get some Q-Tips out and clean the keys up a little, but that's about it.  Now I just need the sidecar to plug into it and I'll be golden beige.

Beige-TI Score.JPG

• Like 4

Since this a new unit for you, I expect that you will be in need of both a speech synth enclosure, and the tipi+32k enclosure.

I expected that 2 days ago, which is why I started printing the speech top to go with the speech bottom I had printed just before it.  With any luck, the printing will be done by either the end of tonight, or tomorrow. (currently at about 70% printed, according to the LCD on the front of my cheap printer.)

Paradoxically, I have found that warpage is reduced if I turn off the heated bed, at least for the desert tan. (the PVA glue on the bed seems to be sufficiently adhesive.) We will see if my modifications to reduce the need for sanding bear fruit.

Also, I think your image is the only one I have seen that is clear enough to see that the beige systems have that "textured" plastic finish.  (the kind that harbors filth.)  Perhaps my lacklustre sanding job I did on the "engineering sample" I mailed to arcade shopper was not far off then.  Good to know.

Anyhoo... The speech top should come off the printer "soon."  Then it is time to do the "without door" versions of the base and top. (I think I will barely have enough left over for that, but I am unsure.) I should get the new roll of material by then.

Amusingly, when it comes to the idea of embellishments, I have considered monochrome black sprite image cameos, done with some horizontal bars framing above and below them, from popular game titles. Things like the parsec ship and some swoopers, the wumpus, munch-man, etc..  I dont have time to doodle the idea here at the moment (getting ready for work), but if I am in a light duty unit tonight, perhaps I can doodle then, and get some feedback.

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 1

Well, I was not in a light duty hall (and I foolishly left my mouse at home), but it DOES look like the combination of the added stiffeners and printing on a cold bed have paid off/will pay off.

It is at 85%ish complete, and is casting the web that is the inner roof of the enclosure. That means it is at the approximate level where the dreaded "Printing anomaly" occurs, and it has not happened yet.  I am gonna go hit the hay, and when I wake up, I should know for sure.

So far though, this looks like the best print to come out.  Dont want to jinx it, but I have my fingers crossed.

• Like 3

I have Omega's speech enclosure mostly done.. but I hit a small snag.  It wont be cosmetically perfect. :(

When digging on the text with the sewing pin, I popped off one of the inner bits of one of the 'e's, so it's kinda wonky on the text. 

I am not sure if I want to try printing another top or not...  Are you down with a slightly defective enclosure Omega?

25 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

Are you down with a slightly defective enclosure Omega?

I'm fine! ? Don't waste the time, effort or expense to print another one.  Man it's gonna be so cool to have matching speech and TIPI sidecars on that TI.

One of the major drawbacks for me on the beige TI's, besides the Mitsumi keyboard, was the aesthetics, it simply looked horrible with a black and silver speech synthesizer plugged into it.  That issue is now a thing of the past.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

@Omega-TI Up until recently, you would have told us that beautiful black and silver Speed Synthesizer looked terrible with that beige plastic monstrosity hanging off of it.  Welcome to the Dark Side.  Have a cookie :D

When I first saw a beige unit I was really surprised - I didn't know they existed.  I wasn't sure I liked it those first few moments, but it quickly grew on me.  The power switch is one improvement I always appreciated, turning on those black consoles with freshly cut fingernails could be unpleasant ;)

OK, I am gonna go for broke, and attempt to print the "With Door" model.  This will be the first time I have done a print-in-place type arrangement.  I have left a gap of ~.125 mm between parts, which I KNOW will experience sag.  However, the distance should be enough to prevent strong layer adhesion, and a gentle tap with a hammer on the support material should snap everything loose. In theory.

We'll see

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

It takes 3 days to print one yo. It's like 30% done!

Wowza!  That's longer than I thought!  I knew 3D printers were not exactly speedy, and you posted the message on Monday, so I figured since today was Wednesday it would be about right, boy was I wrong. 

I've been toying with the idea of a 3D printer, but now that I know how slow they really are, I'll postpone and re-evaluate in a year or so in the hopes that by then they'll be a little faster.