IGNORED

C2N C64 Datasette Drive Not Working

Hello everyone, I received a Datasette that doesn't want to play any tapes. Originally when i plugged it in it didn't look like it was receiving any power as pressing Fast forward or rewind did nothing while plugged into the commodore. Moving the plg seemed to have gotten it going. Anyways, when it is plugged in and actually functioning it doesn't read any tape games. I have another fully working casette drive so I know the C64 itself isn't the issue. I read about aligning the head on the casette drive through the small hole on the top. So i burned a casette aligner program to disk and booted the C64. On the good casette drive, two thick black lines go across the screen from top to bottom as the tape plays, i assume this is the data. On the broken cassette drive, there is only one line all the way to the left of the screen, it does not produce the same two black lines as the working drive. I tried adjusting the head but there was zero change. I would like some input on what may not be working, i suspect it is the cable plug but wanted input here. Thanks in advance everyone!

10 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Have you opened it up, yet?  How does it look inside?  How does the cable look -- for instance, is the plug end frayed at all?  Does the plug have a screw to open it up?

Hi, thank you for the reply. I have opened the machine up and replaced the belts. It looks clean inside, though someone was in before me as the player had 1 screw missing in the bottom. Nothing looked to be out of place but i didnt really try checking any cables to see if they were loose. The plug end looks to be in good shape. There is a screw and i did open it up. I noticed that the thick wire pops out of the back of the case so perhaps someone pulled on it a long time ago? I will upload some pictures when I get home later today.