IGNORED

LDW Super 2000 repair / restoration

xrbrevin

Hi,

I recently obtained a damaged LDW Super 2000 disk drive. I mended a few cosmetic issues and yesterday I managed to get a power supply to work with it.

It passes the in-built self test and proceeds to spin the disk, seek track zero then it rests at track 39 - as it should.

However, as you can see by the pics and vid below, the part of the read/write head assembly that applies spring pressure to the disk/head is missing. as a result i get the 'slow beep' boot error.

The drive uses a 'Roctec' mechanism which i believe were only used in this drive and the california access CA2001 drives. both of these are quite rare and internet info is very limited.

If anyone has one of these mechs, would you mind uploading some images of the head parts? to make things a bit more tricky, there is a metal plate over the head!

fortunately, i have a 3d printer which could produce what i need.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_2078.JPG

IMG_2079.JPG

yes i can regulate this with a grub screw as per the Rana drive design. through the end of the lifting boom to make contact with the metal rail

i could have positioned the felt pad better, i will do so with the next prototype