IGNORED

Swapping Monitors

Hi... i`m thinking of swapping my current monitor SM124 for a flat screen 17" and was wondering the best way to go / connect up ..

do i go DIN to VGA on a computer monitor or DIN to scart and get a small T.V. 

I`ll mostly be running Cubase so monochrome will suffice ..however i may wish to play the odd game so what would you recommend

Also i`ve seen DIN to VGA with two phono audio cables will these attach to the monitor for sound i.e. so i can hear the cubase metronome through the p.c. monitor speakers?

any advice greatfully recieved..

cheers..steve

Edited by stephenellis2000

The DIN to SCART usually gets a much better picture in the color modes than VGA. That's the thing though, SCART only works with color. DIN to SCART won't help you at all with monochrome.

I'm in the U.S. and they don't sell SCART compatible TVs and monitors here. I use an OSSC scan doubler. I ran DIN to VGA from my STE to the OSSC and got a decent low res picture and an acceptable medium res picture and a pretty good high res picture. Then I bought a Cool Novelties STE DIN to SCART cable and ran that into the SCART input on my OSSC. The difference in low and medium res was unbelievably better. Hand's down, the best images I've ever seen out of any ST. I still use the ST DIN to VGA to my OSSC for high res, but I rarely use it.

• 1 month later...

If you have an Atari DIN to DIN video cable you can make a DIN to VGA adapter that will let you do monochrome mode on a standard VGA monitor.  There are instructions online on how to build the cable.  you could even use the other end to make a color DIN to VGA adapter.  This isn't as useful as you would need a multisync monitor that does the low 15khz sync.  I have a switchbox that gives me both in one cable (unfortunately don't have the multisync monitor anymore).  I did by a VGA to HDMI adapter that will upsync the Atari color signal to a proper HDMI one.  Kind of kutzy though having to go from DIN to VGA and the from VGA to HDMI.