IGNORED

IIc and WiModem232

fimbulvetr

I am not having much luck getting my new WiModem232 to initialize with my Apple IIc . I’m using pro term 3.1, and am following the manual and these instructions

https://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=477

300 baud - Apple 300 baud driver
Init string - ATX1&C0&S1

But no luck, ProTerm gets stuck at “initializing modem”

Anyone know how to get one of these things working on a IIc?

I'd use a one of the Hayes modem drivers, and make the init string blank.  Once you get in, hit option-t (closed apple-t) to get into terminal mode and see if you can issue some at commands.  Make sure that your baud rate in your Online Parameters match your modem settings.

• Like 1

Not off hand, but you'll probably have to hold up handshaking on the IIc end... DSR off hand... but I don't have any info I can check with in front of me.  Only other word of warning, I find the wi-modems great, but slow to come online when powered up, so make sure its been on for a bit before you decide you can't talk to it at all. I'd either try a Hayes driver or even just Null driver..

A

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fimbulvetr said:

modem still won’t initialize. I’m staring to wonder about the modem cable I bought. Does anyone have a pinout for a IIc modem cable?

Were you able to get to this screen?  If so, just go to Online and try your AT commands with different baud settings.  If not, I'd try another copy of ProTERM 3.1 - there are a lot of bad ones out there...

1445378518_ScreenShot2020-07-06at7_08_24AM.thumb.png.2ecaf6047da882a91cbd42b5fa79d22c.png

• Like 1

I'm getting "no bootable device" from that copy.

I tried a couple different versions of ProTerm, including 2.0 and 1.9, but still get the same thing where it hangs up on initializing the modem. It hangs even if the modem is unplugged. I never get a message that ProTerm was unable to initialize the modem. 

Try booting up Preterm 3.1 with no modem connected.

If this is the first time that you are using it, make sure that your WiModem is properly initialized and at 300 baud.  Do a factory reset procedure if possible.

Having no modem connected might fool ProTerm into moving on to the next step.

If it gets to the screen that Byte Knight showed you then hit the right arrow to go online, then press Return.

Then you may need to press closed-apple-T to force ProTerm to go "online".  Or press open-apple-L and it will give you a screen where you can force the baud rate and the "online" status.

Connect your WiModem to the serial port at this point.

If you get that far you should be able to type in AT commands at 300 baud, change the baud rate to a more reasonable 9600 baud, and connect to your WiFi network.

Then you should press open-apple-I to "install" Preterm with proper settings.  I usually use "generic 9600 baud modem".

• Like 1

Might be the port rate :) Didn't think about that... a lot of the wimodems default to 1200... although you can crank it up as far as your hardware will cope with.

IS proterm set up for your IIc? Might pay to do the install regime.  Otherwise go online and try different baud rate...

Edited by Aunty Entity
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 2:46 AM, fimbulvetr said:

I did the install, and I checked my cable to make sure it was the right one, but I am still having issues. I am starting to wonder if there is something wrong with the modem port on the IIc.

Well it is possible... some versions of the IIc do have ordinary serial ports... with speed issues... If you want to test it though, the simplest and most telling test is to just try a loop back test.  It just requires you to short the TX and RX pins in the serial cable or port and try typing... if you get echo's of what you're typing then the serial port is doing something as they characters are going out the TX line and coming straight back in the RX line...

I'd probably set the system to use a null modem with no init string.  This'll skip all the initialisation malarky, just go to "online" mode and try a few different port rates...

The one that doesn’t work is one of the later versions, with ROM 3, while the one that does work is from the first year of production with ROM 255. I’m guessing the broken one has a bad serial port chip or something like that, as everything but the two serial ports seems to work fine. I never would have known it had a problem if I hadn’t tried to connect a modem. 

• Thanks 1