IGNORED

Astro City Mini

What do I think?  Honestly, the systems with built-in screens tend to be my least favorite offerings.  I have yet to buy one.  It's hard enough to get the innards right, I don't want McChina to skimp on the screen too.  Plus, it makes the unit cost more, which is never a good thing.

• Like 3

I'm glad to see HDMI and USB ports on the rear, but would rather not have to pay for a screen and built-in controls that I'll never use.

They have my attention though, so we'll see what the rest of the game lineup ends up being. Nice to see Revenge of Death Adder here and I'd like to give the arcade version of Alien Storm a try, but the lineup otherwise is slightly underwhelming so far for me. Some good games of course, but I already have nice official versions of most of what interests me here like arcade Golden Axe via the Golden Axe Collection on Xbox 360.

I'm also skeptical that we'll see anything older than Fantasy Zone, which is a shame for someone like myself that loves early 1980's arcade gaming. And for the late 1980's through 1995 period for Sega that appears to be the focus, an awful lot of what I love from Sega's lineup are their arcade racers. And those probably won't be here for obvious reasons (Although some of the Super Scalers like Outrun can still be fun with digital control).

Hopefully the officially licensed Retro-Bit USB controllers for the Saturn and Genesis Mini will be supported.

Edited by Atariboy

13 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

I don't know much about the Sega City arcade cabs, but what games were normally on those things?

As someone who saw the transition of Japan arcades from cocktails w/ uprights.. to eventually as the years progressed becoming samey looking long rows of clean white sit-down cabinets like the Sega City, I will tell you what games were normally on them. MAHJONG :lol: 

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

That is a plus.  The Data East thing myarcade did was arcade too which was fantastic, and so does the Namco one other than the arcade game sequels the Genesis got they loaded to it too.  That sets the bar, just like SNK did with their Neo Geo Mini which not only worked as a tabletop but with mini hdmi to hdmi and game pads is a TV console too.  This device here really is going in the right direction so far.  I'm starting to even care enough to take notice other than the updates that fly around here.

That original list didn't grab me quite enough, but with that kind of added pad to it from the basic puzzle like Columns to the more complex shooter like Cotton there among others, that's solid, solid and varied.

I do have to wonder, will it come out domestically here or will this be a fight amongst import scalpers to get some top dollar from overseas fans here instead?  I hope it is localized as is.

Edited by Tanooki

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Neo Geo Mini

has too many fighting games, unfortunately. Sega looks like they intend to create something with a much more balanced library than the Neo Geo Mini overall. All I really want at this point is Cotton Boomerang. I'll leave the rest up to Sega. It would be nice to have some of Sega's awesome racing games, After Burner II, or Space Harrier, but I don't think that will happen without a wheel/joystick. Still, the selection so far is good enough to make me satisfied, especially with Cotton, Revenge of Death Adder, Gain Ground, and 2 Shinobi games. I am somewhat concerned about Gain Ground's aspect ratio on this display since it's going to be tiny, but I suppose it will be fine on my monitor with the HDMI out.

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I do have to wonder, will it come out domestically here or will this be a fight amongst import scalpers to get some top dollar from overseas fans here instead?  I hope it is localized as is.

Not sure where "here" is for you, but Amazon Japan ships internationally (and quickly), so you can get it here: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B08CDYVRZW/?th=1

Edited by Steven Pendleton

The Neo Geo Mini Japan has too many fighting games, the US version is well balanced compared and really overall given where they cut the games lists off at.  The mini and this mvs-x is just an overkill rerun ass kiss to fighting games with a cheap smattering of anything worthwhile to play outside of that which is just not only sad but an injustice.  And you're right, if we're comparing Japanese desktop mini arcades that seemingly both can output to an external source as well Sega is going to hand their ass to SNK with the variety hands down.

My where is Kentucky in the US.  I may have to make that order, never have before from Amazon outside the states but I know it's possible and had considered it on the PCE Mini (Core Grafx.)  I may yet, as I'm looking to offload my PCE stuff largely, optical at least including the Duo.  I just have too much stuff and lack of time for it, it's not right to let it sit and (bit)rot.

24 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

The Neo Geo Mini Japan has too many fighting games, the US version is well balanced compared and really overall given where they cut the games lists off at.  The mini and this mvs-x is just an overkill rerun ass kiss to fighting games with a cheap smattering of anything worthwhile to play outside of that which is just not only sad but an injustice.  And you're right, if we're comparing Japanese desktop mini arcades that seemingly both can output to an external source as well Sega is going to hand their ass to SNK with the variety hands down.

My where is Kentucky in the US.  I may have to make that order, never have before from Amazon outside the states but I know it's possible and had considered it on the PCE Mini (Core Grafx.)  I may yet, as I'm looking to offload my PCE stuff largely, optical at least including the Duo.  I just have too much stuff and lack of time for it, it's not right to let it sit and (bit)rot.

Yeah, there is a reason that the Neo Geo has this image of nothing but fighting games, and it's because of all of the collections that pack in like 30 or 40 fighting games and then like maybe like 1 or 2 shooters + Top Player's Golf and a few Metal Slugs. There's a lot more to the Neo Geo than fighting games, and people like me who don't play fighting games really get tired of it, even if I am starting to enjoy KOF '98. I only really can use Terry right now, but maybe some day I'll figure out how to use some other people. I still can't beat the second match against the computer on normal, either...

Anyway, yeah, back to this thing. I am liking the balance on it so far and I look forward to seeing what other games will be included. I am sad that there is basically no chance of After Burner II, G-LOC, Space Harrier, Out Run, etc. because of the controls, but Sega still has a very nice selection of other arcade games that they can include instead.

I would be extremely happy if they put Cotton Boomerang on here (mainly so I don't have to go buy the expensive Saturn version!), but I trust that the rest of the games will all be good choices. They have absolutely surprised me so far with Revenge of Death Adder and Cotton, so I fully expect the final announcement to have at least 1 more unexpected game.

I highly doubt that Boomerang will be on here since there's already 1 Cotton game here, but it would be nice and since they have the license for the first game, I suppose it's possible for Boomerang to show up. Whatever the remaining games are, I think that I'll probably be happy overall. Won't be surprised if Columns 3 and Puyo Puyo Tsuu both show up, though.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

21 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, there is a reason that the Neo Geo has this image of nothing but fighting games, and it's because of all of the collections that pack in like 30 or 40 fighting games and then like maybe like 1 or 2 shooters + Top Player's Golf and a few Metal Slugs. There's a lot more to the Neo Geo than fighting games, and people like me who don't play fighting games really get tired of it, even if I am starting to enjoy KOF '98. I only really can use Terry right now, but maybe some day I'll figure out how to use some other people. I still can't beat the second match against the computer on normal, either...

Anyway, yeah, back to this thing. I am liking the balance on it so far and I look forward to seeing what other games will be included. I am sad that there is basically no chance of After Burner II, G-LOC, Space Harrier, Out Run, etc. because of the controls, but Sega still has a very nice selection of other arcade games that they can include instead.

I would be extremely happy if they put Cotton Boomerang on here (mainly so I don't have to go buy the expensive Saturn version!), but I trust that the rest of the games will all be good choices. They have absolutely surprised me so far with Revenge of Death Adder and Cotton, so I fully expect the final announcement to have at least 1 more unexpected game.

I highly doubt that Boomerang will be on here since there's already 1 Cotton game here, but it would be nice and since they have the license for the first game, I suppose it's possible for Boomerang to show up. Whatever the remaining games are, I think that I'll probably be happy overall. Won't be surprised if Columns 3 and Puyo Puyo Tsuu both show up, though.

Preaching to the choir dude. :D  8/36 games I have on MVS are fighters.  See for yourself: http://tanooki.byethost16.com/neogeo.html  I've got 36 games and the multi, I think you'll notice a largely lacking for fighting games library before you.  I get furious that so many just think of fighting means Neo Geo like the rest has no value or worse just doesn't exist outside of like Metal Slug, Neo Turf Masters, Blazing Star,  and Puzzle Bobble.  There's so much there and so ignored.  SNK is part of the problem, much in the way Nintendo feeds Nintendo fanboys who do the same kind of circular blind sucking up so the corporate office continues along unchecked.  Thankfully the Int'l version of the NGM has variety, could still have more, but it's not like 70%+ fighters either or even near that thankfully.

Either way like you said, Sega seems to have not just mostly quality games, but quality balance so there's enough for anyone to enjoy and continue to enjoy or at least feel motivated from variety to try something new to get the value out of their toy.  it's just a smart move, and Cotton I agree, it's fantastic.  I used to own a few versions of it, none these days though as the prices on it (NGPC, SFC, PCE CD) just SUCK.

2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Preaching to the choir dude. :D  8/36 games I have on MVS are fighters.  See for yourself: http://tanooki.byethost16.com/neogeo.html  I've got 36 games and the multi, I think you'll notice a largely lacking for fighting games library before you.  I get furious that so many just think of fighting means Neo Geo like the rest has no value or worse just doesn't exist outside of like Metal Slug, Neo Turf Masters, Blazing Star,  and Puzzle Bobble.  There's so much there and so ignored.  SNK is part of the problem, much in the way Nintendo feeds Nintendo fanboys who do the same kind of circular blind sucking up so the corporate office continues along unchecked.  Thankfully the Int'l version of the NGM has variety, could still have more, but it's not like 70%+ fighters either or even near that thankfully.

Either way like you said, Sega seems to have not just mostly quality games, but quality balance so there's enough for anyone to enjoy and continue to enjoy or at least feel motivated from variety to try something new to get the value out of their toy.  it's just a smart move, and Cotton I agree, it's fantastic.  I used to own a few versions of it, none these days though as the prices on it (NGPC, SFC, PCE CD) just SUCK.

Yeah, it's pretty frustrating to see so many Neo Geo fighting game collections, and the fact that fighting games are the only really affordable AES games makes it even worse. I was lucky to find that copy of Magician Lord for under 20000 yen or whatever it was that I paid for it. I kind of forgot...

The Neo Geo has an awesome selection of non-fighting games, so it gets pretty annoying to see the same KOF games released over and over again, especially when they do stuff like dump literally every single Neo Geo KOF on the MVSX or the Japanese Mini. Those are good games and I enjoy the 2 KOF games that I have (even if I only play 1 of them), but I'd rather play something that isn't a fighting game if I have the choice. I've been thinking about getting some MVS games with a converter for my AES, though, but even that has some expensive games like Twinkle Star Sprites. I'd really love to get a real copy of that game since it looks awesome, but damn is it expensive!

But yeah, Sega looks to have a much nicer selection so far. I suppose it's possible for them to dump a bunch of fighting games on the list when they announce the final games, but I don't think they are going to do that and they didn't really make 6 million arcade fighting games like SNK did anyway. I did try PC Engine Cotton last night and it's pretty decent. Cotton 2 on the Saturn is much better, I think, and Cotton's voice in 2 is much better in every way as well. She sounds like an old lady or something in 1...

Boomerang, which I have not played yet, is supposedly a little better than 2 overall, so I hope they add that one instead of 2. 2 would be fine as well, although slightly disappointing for me personally since I already have the Saturn version, which from what I've heard is more or less identical to the arcade version. As much as I love Star Wars Trilogy Arcade, I don't think that one's going to show up just due to the controls.

On 7/7/2020 at 10:24 AM, 0078265317 said:

What do you think?  Only Japan for now.  Hope it comes here.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/7/7/21315855/sega-astro-city-mini-release-price

You can pre-order on Amazon Japan, but the shipping will be expensive. When I purchased a PC Engine mini, the shipping was almost offset by the exchange rate.

On 7/8/2020 at 7:58 AM, NE146 said:

As someone who saw the transition of Japan arcades from cocktails w/ uprights.. to eventually as the years progressed becoming samey looking long rows of clean white sit-down cabinets like the Sega City, I will tell you what games were normally on them. MAHJONG :lol: 

I remember a lot of them having Neo Geo games on them in the early to mid 90s.

Edited by cdoty

7 hours ago, cdoty said:

I remember a lot of them having Neo Geo games on them in the early to mid 90s.

Don't worry, the local arcade here still has Blazing Star and Metal Slug X both in Astro City cabinets!

They also have Dodonpachi, Altered Beast, and a few more that I forget in Astro City cabinets. It's a nice cabinet, but I smashed my right knee into it really hard the last time I sat down at it...

• Like 3