IGNORED

Astro City Mini

I'm confused on the LRG release because their website with the countdown specifically states localized packaging and nothing else. It also lists the exact same games as the JPN release of the Astro City Mini. Nearly all of the games have English or European releases but what about the Tant-R puzzle games? Until the Astro City Mini, I'd never heard of them and not aware of them being released outside of Japan and Korea?

6 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I'm confused on the LRG release because their website with the countdown specifically states localized packaging and nothing else. It also lists the exact same games as the JPN release of the Astro City Mini. Nearly all of the games have English or European releases but what about the Tant-R puzzle games? Until the Astro City Mini, I'd never heard of them and not aware of them being released outside of Japan and Korea?

Yeah, I think all they did was take 3500 Japanese Astro City Mini systems and put them inside English boxes. I know Ichidant-R does actually have an English version on the Switch as part of Sega Ages, but I think Tant-R might be untranslated.

13 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, I think all they did was take 3500 Japanese Astro City Mini systems and put them inside English boxes. I know Ichidant-R does actually have an English version on the Switch as part of Sega Ages, but I think Tant-R might be untranslated.

Accept that apparently a rep from LRG on their twitter account page was asked this very question in regards to the roms still being the JPN or ENG version and were told it would have all ENG localized games as well? Their countdown page doesn't indicate that the games themselves are any different so I guess shall have to see. I'm tempted, but I already imported the original during the summer and received in December. I was just playing some Alien Syndrome and Golden Axe on it last night. Much better on a big screen when you have one of the additional controllers plugged into it.

7 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Accept that apparently a rep from LRG on their twitter account page was asked this very question in regards to the roms still being the JPN or ENG version and were told it would have all ENG localized games as well? Their countdown page doesn't indicate that the games themselves are any different so I guess shall have to see. I'm tempted, but I already imported the original during the summer and received in December. I was just playing some Alien Syndrome and Golden Axe on it last night. Much better on a big screen when you have one of the additional controllers plugged into it.

That's definitely interesting... perhaps they are using the Sega Ages Ichidant-R localization and are creating a new one for Tant-R. I wonder if they can just use the Switch Ichidant-R ROM, but from what I understand M2's releases are kind of like halfway between ports and emulation or something to that effect, so I'm not sure if they'd be able to just throw the Switch version in there or not. Still, I'm assuming that it shouldn't be a problem to use that localization, but localizations generally involve some amount of reprogramming and stuff instead of just simply inserting the localized text in place where it's supposed to be like so many people seem to think happens.

I honestly don't use mine much. I was thinking about setting it up a few days ago, but that would have required rearranging my entire desk to get the Saturn off of my desk and set up the Nt mini to power the Astro City Mini or find a PSU that won't kill it or something, since apparently that can happen. I'm still thinking about getting that arcade stick for it, though... and every time I remember that the stick costs as much as the system itself. I didn't see the stick on LRG's website, now that I think about it.

I think LRG stated they will offer the pedestal bank stand and the gamepad controller. The arcade stick I don't think they are bringing over. As for PSUs I've been using an Apple iPad charger with mine and it seems okay. I will state that my Astro City would reboot and lockup when I first got it. The issue was the USB cable I was using to power it with. Once I started using the cable it came with, it has been fine.

42 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

It's clearly not cheaper to get it from LRG instead of Amazon JP, especially in Europe. I wish they offered pink controllers, since the only one I found on eBay is more than 200 €... ?

Yeah, I imagine that getting it from Amazon Japan would save Europeans some cash. It's cheaper there and shipping would probably be about the same, so...

I didn't even know about the pink variant until a few weeks ago. If I'd known about it, I would have gotten it without question, but I didn't and now it's long sold out and quite expensive.

...or not. It seems they do still have a few over at Sega Toys, but you have to get the complete set, which costs a lot of cash for what it is: https://segatoys.com/アストロシティ-ミニ-セガトイズ.com-ピンクボタン限定バージョンC-(コントロールパッド2個、アーケードスティックセット)/dp/4979750807305

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

LRG added some notations to the list of games, which clarifies that there is no difference from the ROMs in the original release.

So it is the exact thing we already have, but in English language packaging and instructions? Guess I'm good then since it isn't exactly hard to figure out what is in the box or how to use it.

8 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

So it is the exact thing we already have, but in English language packaging and instructions? Guess I'm good then since it isn't exactly hard to figure out what is in the box or how to use it.

Yeah, it definitely seems that way to me. It's been a few months since I turned mine on for the first time, but I'm pretty sure that literally the very first thing you see after the Sega Astro City Mini logo when you boot it for the very first time is the language selection screen, so yeah, you're definitely right about it being easy to use if you can't read Japanese.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, it definitely seems that way to me. It's been a few months since I turned mine on for the first time, but I'm pretty sure that literally the very first thing you see after the Sega Astro City Mini logo when you boot it for the very first time is the language selection screen, so yeah, you're definitely right about it being easy to use if you can't read Japanese.

I can't recall either as it comes up in English for me automatically on the menu selector. It likely did ask this the first time I fired it up and retains that information or maybe it is just that simple to use that I don't even think about it? I will fire it up again tonight and see.

2 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I can't recall either as it comes up in English for me automatically on the menu selector. It likely did ask this the first time I fired it up and retains that information or maybe it is just that simple to use that I don't even think about it? I will fire it up again tonight and see.

Yeah, it's been a few months, but if you were to do a factory reset, I'm pretty sure the language select screen is the very first thing that shows up for initial start-up. Now that I think about it, I'm kind of sad that the thing keeps your language and video settings but doesn't save your high scores... I suppose you can use a save state for each game to keep your high scores intact and always be sure to save and load that save state, though.

I was looking and trying to use google translate but not having any luck. How do we reset the astro city mini to get back to those initial setting options? I don't recall the main menu having any option to get back to the settings either?

7 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I was looking and trying to use google translate but not having any luck. How do we reset the astro city mini to get back to those initial setting options? I don't recall the main menu having any option to get back to the settings either?

There's a thingy on the menu that says 本体の初期化 or reset to factory settings if you have it set to English. I just tried it and it does send you to the language select screen.

11 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

There's a thingy on the menu that says 本体の初期化 or reset to factory settings if you have it set to English. I just tried it and it does send you to the language select screen.

Actually I finally noticed when I booted it up a bit ago, that on the main screen you can press the credit button to access the settings. From there you can change the language again. But I was also able to confirm that when you first turn it on, it will go to language selection. So with the exception of a few games, it was pretty much created to be English friendly already.

On 3/23/2021 at 12:58 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Still, paying over $30 more just for English box art is questionable, I think.

Where is it selling for $30 less?  I was thinking about trying to get one from LRG, but I'd be perfectly happy with a different box if it saves 30 bucks.   Unless google is lying to me with their yen to dollar conversion, looks like it's about $130 on Amazon japan as well.

10 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Where is it selling for $30 less?  I was thinking about trying to get one from LRG, but I'd be perfectly happy with a different box if it saves 30 bucks.   Unless google is lying to me with their yen to dollar conversion, looks like it's about $130 on Amazon japan as well.

It was on sale for ~9000 yen or so the other day, but it's only 10275 yen right now: https://www.amazon.co.jp/セガ-アストロシティミニ/dp/B08CDYVRZW/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&crid=5TPMCMAWDX1L&dchild=1&keywords=astro%2Bcity%2Bmini&qid=1616638794&sprefix=astr%2Caps%2C276&sr=8-3&th=1

DuckDuckGo gives me 10275 yen = $94.60 USD.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

15 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I cannot overstate how fast Amazon DHL shipping is from Japan. Stuff gets to me literally faster than packages from a state or two away.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

I cannot overstate how fast Amazon DHL shipping is from Japan. Stuff gets to me literally faster than packages from a state or two away.

Yes, I can back this up ~ I've had the same experience with both the Astro City Mini and the PC Engine Mini.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

lol yeah, they don't mess around here when it comes to getting people their stuff. I mentioned it before somewhere, but I ordered some general household items a few years ago. It said that it should arrive within a week, but it showed up like 12 hours later.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Amazon DHL, hell DHL in general from Japan is fast, but it's not cheap.  I got a lot of Gameboy games using zenmarket and since the JP post is all stupid about US shipping still, a courier was required and they cost the least.  Once the owner got it to zenmarket, once DHL picked it up I had it a few days later.  I'm thinking Monday(mine not theirs) pickup and Thurs/Friday delivery for me fast.

I did notice this but it already is beaten to death about amazon, they sell it for like $130 shipped to the US, and off/on they've had some periodic sales driving it like another $10-15USD lower yet.

Currently best deal is this one without the dumb phone wallpapers: https://www.amazon.co.jp/セガ-アストロシティミニ【Amazon-co-jp限定】アストロシティミニ×バーチャファイター-PC-スマートフォン壁紙セット-配信/dp/B08CDYVRZW?th=1

¥10,356 + ¥2,258 shipping (12614YEN = 115.53USD) on todays currency exchange.

LRG is $130 + whatever shipping they'll nail us with on it.

I recently made an amazon JP account, been VERY tempted just to grab it off them, but I mean depending on the shipping and if wankers don't botspam it to death tomorrow I may click it and see how bad the shipping is.  It would be convenient enough if it's not like some $30-40+ price increase out the door.

I just ordered my Astro City Mini from Limited Run Games,right at 7am PST.

It sold out within minutes as did the game pad and style kit.

I guess I was lucky to get the main unit from them.

I tried quickly to order the other two items which both sold out in under 5 minutes,probably even less than than.

I got the style kit in my cart but it sold out from underneath me.

The interesting part was when I clicked on it,it said only 150 units were available. 

This was never mentioned in advance and I never had any idea that it was limited to such a small amount.

I imagine since there was no limit on any of the 3 items that a couple people bought as many as they could and will be listing them soon on Ebay for an inflated price.

They kinda saved me from myself because even at $39.99 the style kit is really just an expensive eye candy thing I really dont need.

I then ordered the keypad from Play Asia for $12. more than Limited Run was selling them for and all in all I am satisfied with today's pickups. I hope I love the little mini.

Oh yeah,it says on Limited run more units of the system and keypad will be available later today,but no more style kits. I am now determined to make my own substitute for that.

Just wanted to share my experience! 

Edited by wolfy62
Added content.
  • Like 1

Their roots era based asinine limited stock and not limiting people for most of them, screwed me out of getting one entirely.  I don't have a bot, nor do I have paid bots to slide in there.  I imagine due to them being identical other than packaging, a lot will end up on ebay and facebook for 2-3x the price easy playing up that limited nature once they're in hand shortly.

Funny thing, box aside, the Japanese unit on Amazon over there can be imported into the US for $115USD converted from yen, and that's shipped too.

• Like 1