IGNORED

Tigervision cart mod to fit 7800?

nadir

I can't believe it, but apparently I have not played any of my Tigervision games in a VERY long time (since my 2600 went up in smoke, MANY years ago)...  Just found out they don't fit in my 7800.  I did some searching around the site and it sounds like it's just the posts being too long.  I'd prefer not to try clipping them if I can avoid it.  Saw a recommendation to NOT disassemble the cartridge due to the labels being fragile.  Either way, all the information I found was quite old.  What's the cleanest mod people are using to make them fit these days?

For the curious, it's Miner 2049er, Polaris, and Threshold.

The 2600 Lock-on is the best solution but I did also find out recently why the actual cart posts are too long for the 7800 but not for the 2600. I can't speak on the 2600jr but on the other 2600 systems, the cartridge port and cart sleeve around it are together as a unit with the dust cover door that has to be retracted etc. On the 7800 the sleeve and cartridge port are not attached in an way. As a result, Atari added more to the plastic base on the cartridge sleeve. This extra bit of plastic is where the screws go in to hold the cartridge sleeve onto the main PCB. So, another thing you can do is to take the 7800 apart, pop out the cartridge sleeve and cut out the plastic that the screws went into. As long as you still have the two snap tabs on the sides of the sleeve intact, it will still stay put but it will have a bit more movement than normal. However, doing this will then allow tigervision carts to fit all the way down into the slot enough to work without having to clip the posts on the cartridges.

That plastic I'm talking about is directly at the bottom of where the pegs go.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, roadrunner said:

File it down with a fingernail file.
If you don't care about the labels or have a extra cart take it apart and play it.

Gave it thought and test fit other carts I have and may not have tried on my 7800 (an A3 model).  They all fit reasonably well (including the Imagics, which are a little tighter, but not bad at all).  I just couldn't justify the Lock-On 2600 for only the 3 Tigervision games.  So, I went ahead and clipped a little off the posts with a pair of sidecuts.  I may have given up some value, but I can live with that.  They still look good enough for me and no intent to sell. 

Love Polaris and Threshold!  Miner 2049 is nothing to get excited about, but is worth a little play time too...

• Like 1