ave1

I've tested and completed my review of the latest and greatest Atari 5200 controller adapter made by Atariage member, Ikonsgr.  It's essentially a bohoki-clone that enables you to use PC 15 pin controllers on the SuperSystem.  

In the video, I've demonstrated a good number of analog and digital PC controllers (gamepads, keypads, joysticks, steering controllers, and flight yokes) being used to effectively play 5200 games.  Some of these controllers have the ability to be used as both analog and digital controllers (Makopad PC gamepad, Radio Shack gamepad, and the Vortex 3D), right-hand/left hand switching digital gamepads (Gravis PC Gamepad and the Reveal Gamepad), and there's even one which has the ability to switch between self-centering and non-self-centering ("dead-fish stick") analog joystick control.  Check it out:

Edited by ave1
  • Like 3

neat if you want to use that throttle on your solderless extensiob just swap the pin 13 to pin 6 (on the controller end just unplug the wire that goes to pin 6 and put it in the pin 13 socket )cause throttle is just y axis on joy2 but ive often found throttles with springs (which is dumb) that spring back to down

its only real use to me is the pole position shifter  or a locked thrott with river raid or dreadnaught

i'm surptised you havent came up with some kind of lily tomlin phone operator board with a bunch of patch cords to select which button abcd is button one which axis is which heck you  could even screw with teh matrix and make the frogger buttons in a more wasd configuratrion

Edited by bohoki

I have one of his other 9 pin to 15 pin adapters.  Let me use 15 pin joysticks just like the bohoki adapter.  But unlike the bohoki adapter lets me use them wirelessly thanks to some other adapters I have.  Its so cool to play on the sofa.  No wireless keypad but still cool none the less.  Because its 9 pin to 15 pin not 15 to 15 pin.  No way to make 15 pin wireless.  Only 9 pin.

• Like 1

I appreciate you telling me about the throttle conversion method, bohoki.  That might be worth a try on some of my games- I have one controller that has a spring lever, and I wonder how that might work if I remove the spring. Hmmm...

I chuckled at your remarks about a Lily Tomlin switchboard for the 5200 controller buttons. I don't think I'll go that far, but you can really get creative if motivated to do so. 

Hey 0078265317, I know which adapters you're referring to.  They work on the digital games, not analog games, right?

18 minutes ago, ave1 said:

I appreciate you telling me about the throttle conversion method, bohoki.  That might be worth a try on some of my games- I have one controller that has a spring lever, and I wonder how that might work if I remove the spring. Hmmm...

I chuckled at your remarks about a Lily Tomlin switchboard for the 5200 controller buttons. I don't think I'll go that far, but you can really get creative if motivated to do so. 

Hey 0078265317, I know which adapters you're referring to.  They work on the digital games, not analog games, right?

I think the only true analog is the stock 5200 stick.  And maybe the bohoki pc adapter.  Genesis and masterplay is digital.  So genesis to anything would still be digital would it not.

Edited by 0078265317

1 hour ago, 0078265317 said:

I think the only true analog is the stock 5200 stick.  And maybe the bohoki pc adapter.  Genesis and masterplay is digital.  So genesis to anything would still be digital would it not.

Well, there is the playstation dual analog/shock adapter, but you have to build it yourself or hire someone to do it. Made by the same guy that made the one with the analog stick Venkman and friend were selling.

49 minutes ago, Swami said:

Well, there is the playstation dual analog/shock adapter, but you have to build it yourself or hire someone to do it. Made by the same guy that made the one with the analog stick Venkman and friend were selling.

Well I have the mega drive to psx adapter.  That works in my masterplay.  And the thumbsticks on my psx / ps2 controllers work.  But its not true analog.  I think the other adapter is not either.

38 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

Well I have the mega drive to psx adapter.  That works in my masterplay.  And the thumbsticks on my psx / ps2 controllers work.  But its not true analog.  I think the other adapter is not either.

Yes, it is true analog - but digitally simulated. Not sure how well it works though. The direct connect Baker controller being sold doesn't work for most analog games as it is too sensitive, as seen in videos. I think an exponential profile would have worked better where it is less sensitive towards the center and more sensitive toward the edge.

24 minutes ago, Swami said:

Yes, it is true analog - but digitally simulated. Not sure how well it works though. The direct connect Baker controller being sold doesn't work for most analog games as it is too sensitive, as seen in videos. I think an exponential profile would have worked better where it is less sensitive towards the center and more sensitive toward the edge.

It not true analog because missile command does not work as good as with the original.  True analog goes all directions and exactly where you want.  PSX controllers even with thumbstick and my tototek adapter do not.  Genesis is digital.  So was 2600.  So convert to any format like PSX is still digital not analog.

Edited by 0078265317

7 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

And in these 3 threads ave1 said its digital and not analog.

Then you’ll have to explain why you can get two speeds in Centipede, which is something you can only do with analog. I’m sure ave1 was speaking metaphorically or these are referring to different devices. This is my last response on this. 

8 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

And in these 3 threads ave1 said its digital and not analog.

I was definitely referring to using a Masterplay Clone adapter combined with a Tototek PSX to 9 pin Sega adapter.  I believe Swami wasn't referring to that, but to Dr. Venkman's controller circuit board.

Another thing I want to point out is that you can definitely get full analog with PC 15 pin joysticks/steering controllers and thumbstick controllers like the Makopad PC using a bohoki controller adapter (or bohoki-clone).  You can also get true analog if you add an additional adapter to the bohoki adapter that's called the Smartjoy Emulator Adapter (a Playstation to PC 15 pin controller adapter).  This is a great way to get the Playstation thumbsticks working on the analog-only games.  I really like the Barracuda analog PSX gamepad for playing Gorf, Star Wars Arcade, Missile Command, Tempest, and Super Breakout on the 5200 (and it's good for the sports games, as well).

Edited by ave1

I was also referring to using a masterplay clone with my tototek mega drive to psx adapter.  The SMBAKER project might be analog.  But not my tototek adapter since genesis / mega drive is digital and not analog.  So convert to psx or any other is still digital.  I am surprised the thumbstick button even lights up at all and they work even digitally.  I will lookup the smart joy adapter but I think it wont be easy to find.

52 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

And besides only a handful 5200 games really need analog so it does not matter.

It does if you want to play the analog games and smbaker made a PSX to 5200 adapter - PSX to 15 pin. Like I said, you have to build it yourself. 

I got lucky and got one cheap from a Japanese used goods store and used a reshipper to send it to the US. I opened it up in the past and it was some unknown unrecognizable chip to me so I didn't bother trying to reverse engineer anything.

But to answer your question, in no way shape or form can the USB version be adapted to a 15 pin version. Or if it could it would be some sort of generic external USB joystick to 15pin joystick converter.

Also I haven't used it much. What little adapter usage I did, I preferred the ps2 adapter that smbaker made. I have a copy of the code and tweaked it a little for my thumbsticks on my ps2 controller so it can be customized a little if one tries.

Edited by john_q_atari
Add more stuff to post

On 7/8/2020 at 7:42 AM, ave1 said:

I've tested and completed my review of the latest and greatest Atari 5200 controller adapter made by Atariage member, Ikonsgr.  It's essentially a bohoki-clone that enables you to use PC 15 pin controllers on the SuperSystem.  

In the video, I've demonstrated a good number of analog and digital PC controllers (gamepads, keypads, joysticks, steering controllers, and flight yokes) being used to effectively play 5200 games.  Some of these controllers have the ability to be used as both analog and digital controllers (Makopad PC gamepad, Radio Shack gamepad, and the Vortex 3D), right-hand/left hand switching digital gamepads (Gravis PC Gamepad and the Reveal Gamepad), and there's even one which has the ability to switch between self-centering and non-self-centering ("dead-fish stick") analog joystick control.  Check it out:

Can't find the Bohoksgr one on eBay. Must be out of stock. Do you have a link?

20 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Its Ikonsgr there is no bohoksgr adapter.  Bohoki and Ikonsgr and 2 different adapters.  There is no combined adapter.

Ikonsgr makes a PC to 5200 controller adapter that is functionally the same as bohoki's adapter.

They do look different, though...

• Like 1

my adapter is really just the 5200 faq "ibm gameport to 5200 adapter"

with 2 tweaks 1) i add a start button 2) i connect gameport pins 4 and 5 together cause i ran into a weird joystick that used the other ground wire once

i also attempt to make them as cheaply as is humanly possible and pass the savings onto you

• Like 3

On 7/12/2020 at 1:12 AM, 0078265317 said:

Its Ikonsgr there is no bohoksgr adapter.  Bohoki and Ikonsgr and 2 different adapters.  There is no combined adapter.

Portmanteu joke. It's shorter than "ikonsgr version of bohoki adapter". This ikonsgr adapter is functionally equivalent to the bohoki as far as I know.

• 4 months later...