IGNORED

Commodore 1311 Joysticks

MrFish

Yeah, as I commented in the other thread this so far has not been a subject of much discussion. Even if one opened one up among Commodore alumni, chances are that you'd get multiple and conflicting stories of what happened and when. In particular dates and timelines tend to be very hard to extract, even when you have hard guidelines to base them upon.

My speculation is that some factory - probably in the far East - manufactured those joysticks for Atari, and thus had access to the molds. Then somehow Commodore must've gotten in touch with those, had an extra mold made with the logo embossed and started manufacturing. Knowing Commodore's business tactics, they may just as well have put aside money from the joystick sales to cover damage costs for when Atari would approach them, just like how they put aside money from the Jelly Monsters sales to settle outside of court for their unauthorized Pac-Man game.

• Like 2

Lots of legalistic wrangling to get what they wanted, nice how Atari paid for the design of sound chips, new machines and the like only to see such stuff in or under the commodore labels in the end... dirty pool was a specialty evidently. That model was employed even more heavily by MS who seemed to like to steal, and litigate then settle for far less than proper negotiations or outright purchases of what they needed or wanted. Our courts and judges were clueless... terrible days...

Edited by _The Doctor__

13 minutes ago, 917k said:

I remember when I got one of these back in the early 80s, I was really confused and surprised Commodore was selling knockoff Atari joysticks... and paddles too. It was pretty weird.

It was even more weird that Jack Tramiel owned and ran the consumer division of Atari.

Well, if the board of directors at Commodore had not followed their own agenda, Jack probably had remained with the company instead of leaving it in frustration. The press received a twisted story about how he had been kicked, as it would look bad for Irving Gould et. al. if the founder and CEO resigned on his own decision, a few months after the year with the best turnover yet.

If Tramiel had not been available, the question is what Warner would have done with Atari: were there other buyers, would they have kept running it at a more slimline operation, would the Atari brand have gone entirely defunct by 1985?

I bought one of these joysticks for about £7 back in 2013.  It was fully boxed and everything.  I wasn't aware of any legal controversies.  I just thought it was discontinued because it was crap and there were far better joysticks available from third party companies.

Still, swings and roundabouts.  I bought an Amiga 1200 for £225 yesterday after selling one for £30 several years ago on account of it having a defective floppy drive.  One thing I'll say about selling things and regretting it is that the money you get for the item doesn't make any difference to how you feel.  I would have felt just the same if I had sold it for £300.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, English Invader said:

I bought one of these joysticks for about £7 back in 2013.  It was fully boxed and everything.  I wasn't aware of any legal controversies.  I just thought it was discontinued because it was crap and there were far better joysticks available from third party companies.

Still, swings and roundabouts.  I bought an Amiga 1200 for £225 yesterday after selling one for £30 several years ago on account of it having a defective floppy drive.  One thing I'll say about selling things and regretting it is that the money you get for the item doesn't make any difference to how you feel.  I would have felt just the same if I had sold it for £300.

I once found a 400, pristine condition at a thrift store for $2.49.  I didn't need it, had several XLs.  I later sold it for $5 at a garage sell.  Regret that one.  But, I do have 99 percent of all that I have ever purchased.