IGNORED

Most expensive games ever made

Serguei2

I do not remember the specific price, but because it included the special controller, Star Raiders was significantly higher than other games. 

I never owned them, but I expect that Indy 500 and the Milton Bradley games were more expensive too (for the same reason).

Perhaps the following games don't count in this discussion, because they contained multiple games and/or accessories, but I would think these would have been right up there in price:

Video Jogger/Video Reflex/Foot Craz pad set

Kid Vid Voice Module w/ Smurf games

Berenstain Bears game set

Tron Special Pack

The Joyboard w/ Mogul Maniac

I specifically remember the Tron Special Pack with the blue joysticks. I got two (at maybe Best Products or Gemco) at blowout prices surprisingly early in the crash, but I don't remember the original price. Those joysticks were impressive looking, but crap, though.

M.A.S.H. came with a T shirt...was it more?

4 minutes ago, jhd said:

Was that a physical pack-in (rather than just a coupon)? How did someone select the size? 

I didn't buy MASH, but I remember seeing them for sale and theyre were a pile of t-shirts next to them at the counter. This was at a department store called Big Wheel in the early 80s. So I assumed you would pick from what they physically had at that store, good luck! 

• Like 1

It would be interesting to know what game retailed for the most without any special pack-in hardware. If we were going that route, Phaser Patrol would be right up there. 

Zaxxon for the CV commanded a premium over other CV titles. I wonder if the same was true for the 2600 version. Time to dig out the EG magazines. 

A little different than what you're asking, but I know places around here jacked up the price of Pac-Man when it came out.  It started in the usual stores as a regular priced game,  but when I got my copy, ONE DAY after my friend told me it had come out (and he bought his at $29.99);  I had my mom drive to 3 or 4 stores before we found one where it wasn't Sold Out.  So, even though I'd played it and knew it wasn't all it was cracked up to be, buying into the hype and mania, if you will, I felt I HAD to have it.  I paid $37.95 for it at a place ironically called PAY N SAVE.

Another one that seemed high,  was when I paid $34.95 for Mega Force, which I had played on the kiosk at Montgomery Wards and was just blown away by the graphics (flicker and all)...Now, why we were cutting up the boxes to send parts to 20th Century Fox, I don't remember...A rebate perhaps?

• Like 1