IGNORED

TIPI, the Weather and the F18A

Omega-TI

I really like the weather program Greg @Caseywrote in XB for the TIPI, but XB has it's limitations.  It would probably be too hard to write that program in assembly language for output in it's intended 80 column format.  But, ya know, there are ways around every obstacle.  Since the program is written in Extended BASIC, it could be modified to make and print to a DIS/VAR 80 text file, a text file that could be displayed in Force Command in full 80 columns as originally intended!

If the command to return to Force Command was embedded into the program, it would be super easy to use, just type: XB WX and it would get the weather, make the file and return to DOS all on it's own.  Then you could then access the file by various means.  My favorite would be a simple command to display it from the DOS prompt, some new command like:  VIEW CWX (where CWX would stand for 'current weather'.

Edited by Omega-TI
Proper attribution

Great, I've given you a hammer, and now you want to bang on everything with it. 

It would be soooo much nicer to assert what a fun little project it would be to write a 80 column mode weather update program... Isn't there TX80T basic extensions? and the forths? and assembly? and gcc?  You can still use LVL3 file IO routines to get the data from a website if you don't want to drop to the TIPI messaging level. 

There will someday be a wget/curl like command for Force Command. Then a hacky web-scraping thing can be assembled with just Force Command scripting.  

but wouldn't it be cooler to have a program that parses the data, and displays it in a more purposeful way? Something that remembers your location or places of interest in a data file. Separates the sections of the report into 'tabs' to switch between, so you don't have to scroll through all of it. Maybe refreshes every 15 minutes if it is still running... 

1 hour ago, Omega-TI said:

too hard

^--- I really hate seeing this as the premise of any post... many of us are here to try to do things that are not easy. 

Opinions are like posteriors, everyone has one.  I actually plan to work on this myself during my vacation.  If what I do is not up to your liking you do not have to use it.  If you want to make it obsolete that's cool too.  I have learned one thing about you, you obviously do not like people throwing out ideas, especially ones you have different opinions on.  This is not the first time, and I'm sure it will not be the last.  I do however wish for the old days when people could have, and discuss ideas and opinions with a little more tolerance.

• Thanks 1

... Oh yeah, we all do things to our individual levels.  I'm glad there are super programmers out there, but I'm not one of them, so good job on the discouraging post.  It makes a person really want to do something when they are told their efforts will only amount to "a hacky web-scraping thing".  (Even if there is nothing else available at the present time).

Edited by Omega-TI

2 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

I really like the weather program Greg wrote in XB for the TIPI, but XB has it's limitations.  It would probably be too hard to write that program in assembly language for output in it's intended 80 column format.  But, ya know, there are ways around every obstacle.  Since the program is written in Extended BASIC, it could be modified to make and print to a DIS/VAR 80 text file, a text file that could be displayed in Force Command in full 80 columns as originally intended!

If the command to return to Force Command was embedded into the program, it would be super easy to use, just type: XB WX and it would get the weather, make the file and return to DOS all on it's own.  Then you could then access the file by various means.  My favorite would be a simple command to display it from the DOS prompt, some new command like:  VIEW CWX (where CWX would stand for 'current weather'.

I didn't write it, I compiled it. 

It could easily be in 80 columns in xb.. using T80

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

... Oh yeah, we all do things to our individual levels.  I'm glad there are super programmers out there, but I'm not one of them, so good job on the discouraging post.  It makes a person really want to do something when they are told their efforts will only amount to "a hacky web-scraping thing".  (Even if there is nothing else available at the present time).

Because you constantly state that you are not a programmer, I have to assume you do NOT intend to work on these things you throw out there.   

I was not trying to discourage the goal or you. I had no idea you intended to work on the goal.

I was trying to encourage the implementer to reach. 

OK here's a disk image of the weather program in 80 columns that uses Senior Falcon's T80XB.

Just drop it in the TIPI folder and it will automatically be converted to a folder. The program to run is WEATHER, which will automatically load T80XB and run the weather program.

To run it from Force Command, change to the directory TIPI.WEATHER80 and type XB WEATHER (assuming that your XB is properly configured with FC).

You can also use Mega Menu to run it as a menu entry.

973859888_Weather80.thumb.jpg.083660ded98bbaf5c9238625271b4d65.jpg

WEATHER80.dsk

• Like 3

If any of you are interested in the new 80 column version of the WEATHER program modified by Vorticon, << THIS LINK >> will help you with the airport identifiers.

Those listed with less than four letters don't seem to be large enough for FSS information, even then, not all the four letter ones at smaller municipal airports will work either.

Find those in your local area that do work and write them down.  

Thanks again Vorticon!  I'm happy to see my TI being more and more USEFUL as time progresses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vorticon said:

Who is the author of the weather program?

That is a very good question!  I remember Stuart writing a weather page for his browser a few years back, I think when we were using UDS-10's.  This one came out in the TIPI era, so it could not be more than two or three years ago.  I thought it was Arcadeshopper, but he's only claiming to have compiled the 40 column version.  Now you updated it in T80XB.  I probably need to go back and do a search to see if I can find who it was for proper attribution.

I did find one reference << HERE >> by Arcadeshopper.