IGNORED

Read TI 5.25" disks on modern PCs

arcadeshopper

Dont be so sure.  Win7 could handle 32bit drivers. Win10 is much more bitchy about that, as well as with signed drivers.

(I have an old mustek scanner that still straight up works.  It does not require custom binaries, or anything like that really. It's WIA capture, straight up.  Naturally, the manufacturer no longer supports it.  Since it just uses straight up WIA and microsoft supplied drivers with some magic numbers supplied in the INF, all you need is a specially doctored INF file for it, and magically it works just fine on 64bit windows 10. Of course, you have to jump through umpteen billion hoops to disable driver signing on win10, and then MS likes to come along a month later on patch tuesday, and goes "OH NOEZ! THE USER IS CONTROLLING THE DRIVERS!! WE HAVE TO FIX IT!!" and breaks everything again.)

Depending on how the drivers are done, this may or may not work on win10.

Dont be so sure.  Win7 could handle 32bit drivers. Win10 is much more bitchy about that, as well as with signed drivers.

(I have an old mustek scanner that still straight up works.  It does not require custom binaries, or anything like that really. It's WIA capture, straight up.  Naturally, the manufacturer no longer supports it.  Since it just uses straight up WIA and microsoft supplied drivers with some magic numbers supplied in the INF, all you need is a specially doctored INF file for it, and magically it works just fine on 64bit windows 10. Of course, you have to jump through umpteen billion hoops to disable driver signing on win10, and then MS likes to come along a month later on patch tuesday, and goes "OH NOEZ! THE USER IS CONTROLLING THE DRIVERS!! WE HAVE TO FIX IT!!" and breaks everything again.)

Depending on how the drivers are done, this may or may not work on win10.

I tried it on 10 and it sees the device fine

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not a big deal.  I am not aware of any formats which give a hint as to whether it is double- or single-sided, so it never bothered me.  ISTR that most non-Amiga/Commodore DD formats have part of the sector written in FM with an indicator that the rest will be in MFM.  I do not tend to stray into that realm save for rare moments.

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to give this a whirl at imaging Commodore 64 GCR-formated disks (listed as "Commodore 1541".)  Up to now I have been using the cbmtools and nibbler via an XU-1541 and real Commodore disk drives.  I tried three different PC drives with the FC-5025 and none of them would successfully read the 1541 disks without massive errors, even disks which image flawlessly in a 1541-II.  I have also imaged these disks successfully with a SuperCard Pro and one of the drives I tried on the FC-5025.

I will stick to using it for MS-DOS and TI disks.  Works perfectly for those tasks.  Reminds me that I need to get around to CP/M disks sometime, but I have very few from "real" CP/M machines.

• Like 3