IGNORED

Game about Corona appropriate ?

Grevle

I'd keep everything just as it is... fighting corona virions... in an attempt to win. How the hell is a game that kills the baddies a terrible thing... I'd love to play a games helping me kill the thing attacking me in real life. Who knows, as a visualize knocking off the viruses and bacteria, maybe it will inspire my body to do the same through visualization, at the very least it will improve my spirits (which has been shown to be of some help for many maladies-laughter and all that)

Ring around the rosies

pocket full of posies

achez achez

we all fall down...

Next they will 'fact check' ring around the the rosies...pocket full of posies... forgetting most things were retold in music and by bards... they will try to disprove every aspect on the rhyme using softened and partially plagiarized written versions of later year in a sad attempt to make the song not about plagues and epidemics.

I'm with @R0ger  on this one...

still asking...  how is killing rona disrespectful?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Grevle said:

Do you think a game about Corona Virus would be Appropriate at this time ? , I mean many people are still suffering the consecuences of the corona virus and maybe it it's not the right time for a game about the Corona Virus ?. I may or may not have something soon ready to release...

I asked the same myself, doubted and I finally released a game called "Coronavirus" for the NOMAM 10liners 2020 Contest, which I developed in Atari BASIC after I started my quarantine (well, I'm still locked down at home, teleworking). I decided to release it with that name as a way to remember how the world was changing in few months... This pandemic might be hard for many people, including myself, my family and my friends, but it definitively will remain in our memories forever.

• Like 1

I think no.

At the moment it's offensive with people dying, economies hurting and constant news bombardment - videogames are supposed to be a distraction from life's problems and annoyances, not part of them.

In the future - people will be glad it's over and not much want to be reminded of it.

• Like 1

The 1918 pandemic killed over 5 million people worldwide - can't remember any movie, etc that highlights this.  Why?  There's countless movies about the Great War - but nothing about this killer that killed more.  Maybe it's due to the fact that it was the returning troops from the war that spread it to the various countries.

While reading up about it - came across this short ditty.

There was a bird named enza.  The window opened and influenza.

Death and dying we should be able to talk about.  It is always around us in some form and we should not be afraid about talking about it.

Because it's a fact of life and we have to face our own mortality.

I don't think a game about it, is going to offend anyone - unless it is truly in a format of overall bad taste.

This is something that is going to recur more often than not.  And it is some kind of miracle that it did not happen sooner.

And if a game does remind us about what is the minimum we can do - to combat it - I'll say - Bravo, nice one!

Harvey

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ivop said:

You mean @TMR ? That's sad to hear :(

Yes...Was extremely poorly...

Re the game, like all things, it will be what it will be, remember I'm a little older that some so I come from a different time when being reverent to people was the done thing, now its all a bit more open, I'm still old guard but I am just me and my opinion. Would the game coming out as corona run cause the world to end, no, will it upset everyone, no, personally I wasn't aware there have been official games so maybe I'm wrong in my opinion but it was based on possibility of poor old TMR almost not being with us any more from this virus.

I suppose the main thing is that is the game making fun of the pointless death of people, I'd say no, it looks like a fun little past time created to give us something to play with a nod to the virus that we can't deny is around us. So after listening to others I think it should come out as intended. That's the whole point of chat, to listen and rethink...

Edited by Mclaneinc

In the game you can't kill the virus but you can try to avoid it to survive longest possible to get the highest score but as the difficulty increase you sure to end up "Game over". But i can change the theme to something else, Any suggestions anyone ? some sort of alien ? i don't want to have insects. Gameplay is simple like Some sort of creature trying to catch you..

I previously said no in this conversation and will try my best to explain myself. I don't have to, as we all have differing opinions which won't match one anothers, but still I will explain my answer from MY point of view.

Currently we have members of this website (I know of one, but can be sure with our numbers that there is more than one) that are fighting coronavirus and are struggling.

I suspect that I had it at one point, but at the time, the doctors would not test me for it as there were not enough tests to go around. Luckily, it was not too major for me.

I believe that people should be able to do what they want to do. If Grevle would like to release a game, then so be it, but be aware that others may be offended. If you don't want to make the main characters insects, ok, it is your choice. I am all for personal expression and will not crucify anyone for their point of view.

However, there will be people who will strongly object to games related to coronavirus. Personally, it will not affect me much, but can see others not liking it. My words are advice, nothing else.

If eight bit computers were around in 1946, I would not have released any war based games. But you have your own artistic licence and it is all your choice.

Lest we forget that this thing is still active and out there, we can still get it, its all down to people being sensible and I don't see a whole lot of that at the moment...

That's my one line re that thing, its not really for discussion, I just want people to be safe. As for the game, its weird, things that are current can be interesting targets for gaming, they can numb the reality that is out there, if we sat down and looked at a war game and then put it next to the reality most folk would be so shocked and it would disturb people, a lot. There are some things not for innocent eye's, war is one of them, it will haunt. So a game actually shows less of that and more of the tactics which offers an understanding and people realise its entertainment, that is ok in my book...

I'm not down with this "games make serial killers" thing, the same individuals who play this and do their terrible deeds would have found another trigger from something else, that's down to their mentality and not what is on screen. I've never played Mario and wanted to go out and jump on people's heads, I've never played COD and wanted to shoot the world up, I don't have that mentality, I know its entertainment and process it as such, another person with mental health issues will look at anything negative ie the acts of another killer and take inspiration from that because its reality, its happened, they know its possible.

A fantasy game does not offer that...A game where you can't die does not offer that, a game that isn't happening all the time around them, again does not offer that.

Edited by Mclaneinc

I Always like vampire type games so i think "Vampire Run" would be a fun title, change player sprites to dracula with is controlled by the player and then some hunters after him.. Its proably the way the game gonna be released........

Edited by Grevle

Maybe call it 'Test Mania'. If the 'R' number drops below 1, all the people will escape from their homes, so you have to run around testing as many as you can to keep the infection figures high. The moment 'R' drops below 1, the people get out, there's an inquiry, and you get sent to prison. :D

Anyway: regarding offence, remember that it's taken, not given, and if a decade spent on the forum has demonstrated anything, it's that unless (or even if) you consciously undertake a public relations campaign every day, someone's gonna have a problem with something you say or do.  Until such time as it is mandatory for people to download a game the subject of which they find distasteful, they can just avoid it if they want.

The Great War was mentioned above, and if mass slaughter (i.e. war in general) is an acceptable subject for computer games, then I guess anything is.

• Like 3

Hello Philsan

4 hours ago, Philsan said:

... recently a C64 nice game dedicated to Covid has been released.

Let's not use the C64 user as a reference.  They didn't make the right decision way back when they bought their computers, so ...

:grin:

Sincerely

Mathy

What if it was a game about fighting cancer?  Would that be offensive?  Cancer kills millions yearly and shows no signs of stopping.  I've had 5 people in my family die from it.  I wouldn't find that game offensive just because I experienced it.

• Like 2

I think you need to have a little humor to get through times like this.  I don't see this game as offensive as it thumbs it's nose at the situation a bit.

I'm currently building a Retropie system for my daughter and son-in-law since they are both stuck at home and like the rest of us are going nuts.  I don't really have time to put together an custom system so instead I'm downloading a 128GB build with a really nice 8-bit looking theme and a ton of games installed.  The name of this build:  "The Pandemic Edition".

It's not like you are writing a "Custer's Revenge" game.  That would be in bad taste.

• Like 1

Hello Stephen

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

What if it was a game about fighting cancer?  Would that be offensive?

Probably not.  But cancer has been around for ages, Corona is new.  This might sound rude, but we haven't gotten used to it.

Sincerely

Mathy

15 minutes ago, Brentarian said:

As someone who is trying to recover from Covid-19, I say bring on the Corona games.  This virus is brutal.  Being able to blast some Corona viruses to hell would make me feel great.  :)

Get better soon - we're all pulling for you!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Brentarian said:

As someone who is trying to recover from Covid-19, I say bring on the Corona games.  This virus is brutal.  Being able to blast some Corona viruses to hell would make me feel great.  :)

Take care, my friend. We’re all in your corner in this fight.

• Like 1

If the gameplay dynamic was humans avoiding Covid, I'd be fine with it, there are plenty of games out there with toilet roll, hoarding, virus fighting/dodging themes lately and I'm sure there are going to be a bunch more.

I'd probably go for "Covid Run" over "Corona Run"

My opinion might change if the gameplay dynamic was you as a Covid virus chasing after humans

On 7/12/2020 at 10:48 AM, flashjazzcat said:

Maybe call it 'Test Mania'. If the 'R' number drops below 1, all the people will escape from their homes, so you have to run around testing as many as you can to keep the infection figures high. The moment 'R' drops below 1, the people get out, there's an inquiry, and you get sent to prison.

Little bit of politics there, keeping it edgy... My names Ben Elton... Goodnight ;)

• Like 2