IGNORED

Game about Corona appropriate ?

Grevle

On 7/11/2020 at 11:04 PM, vitoco said:

I asked the same myself, doubted and I finally released a game called "Coronavirus" for the NOMAM 10liners 2020 Contest, which I developed in Atari BASIC after I started my quarantine (well, I'm still locked down at home, teleworking). I decided to release it with that name as a way to remember how the world was changing in few months... This pandemic might be hard for many people, including myself, my family and my friends, but it definitively will remain in our memories forever.

Yes, exactly right. A COVID themed game marks it as having been developed in a specific time and place (more so than a random alien blaster), and it becomes something of an historical artifact to reflect on in the future. I don't know how many computer games you can look at and say "oh, right! We were all going through that shit in 1987!" I say go for it, and let's hope we can all kick the virus' butt.

30 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

I don't know how many computer games you can look at and say "oh, right! We were all going through that shit in 1987!"

Well, maybe not 1987 specifically, but there are certainly era-specific or “era-appropriate” arcade, computer and video games: Atari’s arcade “Shark Jaws,” for instance, tying into public fascination with the movie Jaws. Later, for the 2600, you had 20th Century Fox’s movie and TV tie-in games: M*A*S*H, The Towering Inferno, Flash Gordon, The Fantastic Voyage, Alien, etc.  Atari’s APX published Scram, which was Chris Crawford’s nuclear plant simulation informed by the hullabaloo about the Three Mile Island plant partial core meltdown ... I’m sure there are many more but these are just off the top of my head.

Just now, DrVenkman said:

Well, maybe not 1987 specifically, but there are certainly era-specific or “era-appropriate” arcade, computer and video games: Atari’s arcade “Shark Jaws,” for instance, tying into public fascination with the movie Jaws. Later, for the 2600, you had 20th Century Fox’s movie and TV tie-in games: M*A*S*H, The Towering Inferno, Flash Gordon, The Fantastic Voyage, Alien, etc.  Atari’s APX published Scram, which was Chris Crawford’s nuclear plant simulation informed by the hullabaloo about the Three Mile Island plant partial core meltdown ... I’m sure there are many more but these are just off the top of my head.

That's a valid point, but those are all movie or entertainment tie-ins (with the exception of Scram!). There's a general lack of contemporary issue-driven titles in computer gaming (probably for good reasons), but there's a few, like President Elect '88 or RDF 1985 (or other large chunks of the SSI library), that really speak to the worries of a certain generation. And having typed that, maybe I'll agree that all of this is a bit much to load onto a computer game. :)

1 minute ago, davidcalgary29 said:

That's a valid point, but those are all movie or entertainment tie-ins (with the exception of Scram!). There's a general lack of contemporary issue-driven titles in computer gaming (probably for good reasons), but there's a few, like President Elect '88 or RDF 1985 (or other large chunks of the SSI library), that really speak to the worries of a certain generation. And having typed that, maybe I'll agree that all of this is a bit much to load onto a computer game. :)

I’ll agree to your comment regarding entertainment tie-ins (in which case, add Atari’s Superman too, the very first comic book video game), but recognize too that all those entertainment properties were THEMSELVES informed by and reflective of the society that created them in the first place - Alien is an allegory for the dangers of poking into shit better left alone, and a not-subtle jab at dark corporate forces moving with their own agendas; The Fantastic Voyage was a cold-war/Atomic Age/wonders of science fantasy; and so on ... It’s turtles all the way down, man. :) 

But I will 100% agree that it IS a bit much to load onto a game, lol.

• Like 1

Missile Command: Remember the cold war era and worries about a war with nuclear weapons? This is the game for that, most of the (nuclear) weapons in this game were/are really available and the six cities in the game do represent six cities in the US. The only thing that's really unreal (as of yet) is that these nukes are so easy to shoot down and eliminate...

Besides, what about the game "Dr. Mario" which we have on the A8 as a conversion ? Exchange Mario with an american president with blonde hair and you have your Corona type game...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Missile Command: Remember the cold war era and worries about a war with nuclear weapons? This is the game for that, most of the (nuclear) weapons in this game were/are really available and the six cities in the game do represent six cities in the US. The only thing that's really unreal (as of yet) is that these nukes are so easy to shoot down and eliminate...

Besides, what about the game "Dr. Mario" which we have on the A8 as a conversion ? Exchange Mario with an american president with blonde hair and you have your Corona type game...

Ok, NOW I understand how someone can feel offended by videogame :-D

• Confused 1

Hi.

I think that C64 game is indeed a use of an old type of Space Invaders just changing gfxs.

Said this I don't think it would be offensive but it should be something really related not like, for example this C64 one. What shooting has to do with the actual pandemic?

You can do the game like you're doing even simple just for fun.

This Morning I was thinking about this and I'm almost sure a real check would be someone(s) design a really nice and addictive to play based really on the Corona Virus and if is good send it to the ABBUC contest and 'et voilá', if is good for sure will get many votes if not win but sadly is now too late for it (if I'm remember it correctly isn't it like last years deadline on 31st of July?).

Some of my ideas:

-> Like in Jungle Hunt water scene we have from time to time going up face out of the water to breath showing the air line on the status. So in this game we should avoid others...;

-> Like Jack the Nipper we have also a bar, the Naugthyometer ? so the game could be multi-screens on a city going trough the streets and enter each building where we'll have different tasks to do and stuff to avoid...: Not touching objects without constantly washing and disinfected hands, keep distance from others (some can be and others not but we never know so a kind of randomize settings for these).

The buildings could include supermaket, post office, bank, police, shoes and clothes shops,... but also could include, perhaps in top down view bus, metro,... not only walking on the streets and inside buildings

In the beggining our guy have a sheet of tasks/places he should go and do.

This is what would makes the difference and be a real related but also learning (for kids also). 

Shooting virus sprites,... is just taking the virus to do something that isn't like the reality and the times we're facing.

Though not in time for ABBUC but perhaps someone after this wanna code a game based on this ideas. If so I have some more to join with these ones and we can talk. I can develop some 'starting mockucks', DLIs, colours,... and we'll just need some gfxs expert to them better.

Just my idea but you continue doing your game.

:thumbsup:

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 7:16 PM, Grevle said:

Do you think a game about Corona Virus would be Appropriate at this time ? , I mean many people are still suffering the consecuences of the corona virus and maybe it it's not the right time for a game about the Corona Virus ?. I may or may not have something soon ready to release...

Don't we have Agent U.S.A. already? The only modification required would be a bad yellow hair piece for the fuzz bomb...

• Sad 1

Regarding era appropriate homebrew games that probably upset just as many people as it entertained, I got reminded today about Commando Libya on the C64. Compared to that game (which itself is quite playable if you overlook the theme), any game about SARS-COV2 or the Covid-19 disease likely will be quite tame. If it had been released commercially, Commando Libya would've been on equal tems with something like Custer's Revenge on tastelessness.

Edited by carlsson

No one remember the 2004 1st person shooter "JFK Reloaded" where you played as Lee Harvey Oswald and tried to get your shots as close as possible to his?

After that, running away from a few virus spores is pretty tame.

3 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

No one remember the 2004 1st person shooter "JFK Reloaded" where you played as Lee Harvey Oswald and tried to get your shots as close as possible to his?

After that, running away from a few virus spores is pretty tame.

Everybody these days is FAR too sensitive - about EVERYTHING.  Everyone has a reason to be offended.  I didn't know there was so much sand to be blown in everyone's va-jay-jay.  When did this happen? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

But I want a game where I kill Covid-19 and save lives. I want to end the pandemic and let people go free! I think that is an awesome thing to do in a game, just as it would be awesome in real life...  The game could have more than one way to end the pandemic or set people free while still saving the lives of people who are having a serious hard go of it!

Edited by _The Doctor__