IGNORED

Nintendo Super Mario Bros. video game sets record selling for $114,000.

You guys are really missing that the print run the SMB is from makes a huge difference in price. Anything from the original test market is very rare and so are the early print runs that came after that. The early prints from the "sticker sealed" print variant. It's not like any old sealed (or complete) copy of SMB is worth $100k or even a few percent of that. I would never, ever spend that on a video game even if I had it as disposable income though as I find it just stupid to do so.

• Thanks 1

I believe the curiosity comes more from the fact that these relatively rare and elusive carts are graded and sold folks who appear to be very tightly connected -- and the last time this was big news, the buyer was the owner of the auction house itself (if I remember correctly).  It has the appearance of being a publicity show to drum up sales so they can sell more video games as collectibles.

The best way to make money in a gold rush isn't to find gold... it's to sell shovels and pickaxes.  How much money some dope spends on SMB isn't nearly as significant as how many graded games WATA is going to generate from hoarders wanting a piece of the action. 

• Like 2

Well said, in general in most cases those who made out in the gold rush were those selling expensive mining gear to all the suckers who would come back for more time and again with what little they dug up.  Right now it's a video game gold rush where there are few actual game owning winners, it's mostly the service provider getting the profit with minimal sales effort for the return.  Why work on it yourself when you can have others hand it to you for a so called service. :D

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 4:58 AM, high voltage said:

Video Games = Art. I could buy a Rembrandt for that money, why not a video game?!

Hell hath frozen over, for I am in agreement with HV for once this decade?!

On 7/29/2020 at 2:03 AM, Shawn said:

You guys are really missing that the print run the SMB is from makes a huge difference in price. Anything from the original test market is very rare and so are the early print runs that came after that. The early prints from the "sticker sealed" print variant. It's not like any old sealed (or complete) copy of SMB is worth $100k or even a few percent of that. I would never, ever spend that on a video game even if I had it as disposable income though as I find it just stupid to do so.

I think they must get the point of how rare it is, they just seem to think it will negatively impact them...somehow. i say somehow because unless you're in the business of buying old used games, nobody is going to do anything but perhaps annoy you at a post-Covid games expo with people trying to sell their SMB/Duck Hunt for too much money. If that's the least annoyance I experience at a games expo, I'll consider myself lucky, alright? Lol!

If anything, this tide will raise all ships: I already have all the games I want. If I can't buy/afford certain ones now, well, I couldn't afford them a decade ago either so it's not like their market value just blew up overnight. I bet plenty of other collectors here also have their core collections too. So if my games go up in value because of the buzz around this, woohoo for me. I ain't selling, but everybody says "I ain't selling"...until they are. 

Finally: I'm pretty sure that nobody in the general public would be able to tell you how much a sealed test market SMB just sold for.

Edited by atarilovesyou