IGNORED

is the 7800 necessary?

Drsoren24

I never had a 7800 back in the day despite wanting one (I had an Atari 130XE instead), but I've found the 7800 to be one of my favorite systems, and far better than the 5200. Yes, the original commercial library is a bit sparse, but there are certainly some gems. For one, I absolutely love some of the arcade ports (Food Fight, Joust, Centipede, Ms. Pac-Man to name a few), as well as a few other games that help give it a little bit of character (Ninja Golf). However, an even bigger reason for owning it (for me, at least) is the HUGE library of excellent homebrew games that have been made for it. This latter part has given it a life that it simply didn't have back in the day, with tons of excellent arcade ports as well as some high quality original games. Seriously, PacManPlus alone has created a library of titles that are extremely high quality and polished that make the system worth getting, as well as giving a highly accurate representation of the arcade games. And that's not to mention many of the other homebrewers who have made plenty of excellent games as well. Honestly, I'd say the system is more than worth it even if you completely avoid the original commercial releases and just focus on homebrew, although you'd still be missing out on some gems.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I decided to take the plunge.  I have one on the way.  Does anybody have any games to sell at a reasonable price?  I was also wondering about controllers.  Do the genesis and master system controllers work?  I heard that the genesis ones do with both buttons, but do the master systems?  I like those ones better.  Also on another note, I downloaded congo bongo because I really wanted to play it for some reason.  I think it is just the name, its sorta funny, and sega makes it, so it should be great right?  It is probably the worst game of all time.  I'd rather play e.t. on the 2600, I'm so glad I didn't buy it.

• Like 1

I was in Biloxi, Miss. on temporary duty going to school at Keesler AFB.  I was bored in my dorm room and went to a pawn shop.  The guy was selling a 7800 with 75 games, some of them 2600 games, some really rare games now.  I hesitated and he offered it to me for $75, machine, PSU, cable, and 75 games.  I said,"Well I really don't NEED it."  He replied, "At that price, why not?"  I couldn't argue with that logic so I got it.  Man, am I glad he convinced me.  I have enjoyed it for many years now.  

• Like 4

Also I've decided to, through suggestion, to keep one cart of every game I have for my 5200.  I do have some duplicates, if anybody is interested in trading some 5200 games for some 7800 games, let me know.  That also goes for hardware, I have lots of controllers, power supplies, weird 4 port rf boxes, etc.  I might need a power supply and some controllers for the 7800.  All I have right now is the one in the picture and 2600 and genesis controllers.  The one in the picture is pretty sweet, huh?  I got it in an ebay lot years ago. 

image1 (1).jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

22 hours ago, Drsoren24 said:

I decided to take the plunge.  I have one on the way.  Does anybody have any games to sell at a reasonable price?  I was also wondering about controllers.  Do the genesis and master system controllers work?  I heard that the genesis ones do with both buttons, but do the master systems?  I like those ones better.  Also on another note, I downloaded congo bongo because I really wanted to play it for some reason.  I think it is just the name, its sorta funny, and sega makes it, so it should be great right?  It is probably the worst game of all time.  I'd rather play e.t. on the 2600, I'm so glad I didn't buy it.

Glad to hear that! Most of the game library is inexpensive to buy, with only a few games that are rare that go for $$$. Having said that, most of the best games also tend to be the cheapest (with a few exceptions, notably Ninja Golf). Regarding controllers, you can use a Genesis controller with the 7800, but it will only have one functioning button if you plug it in directly. You'll need something like the Seagull 78 in order to use two buttons for games that require them. I believe the SMS controllers won't work properly without some kind of a mod, but I don't personally have any experience with that.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Drsoren24 said:

Also I've decided to, through suggestion, to keep one cart of every game I have for my 5200.  I do have some duplicates, if anybody is interested in trading some 5200 games for some 7800 games, let me know.  That also goes for hardware, I have lots of controllers, power supplies, weird 4 port rf boxes, etc.  I might need a power supply and some controllers for the 7800.  All I have right now is the one in the picture and 2600 and genesis controllers.  The one in the picture is pretty sweet, huh?  I got it in an ebay lot years ago. 

image1 (1).jpeg

Fantastic method of mounting the controller - just jam some drywall screws through it.  Mad skills!

On 7/11/2020 at 5:52 PM, Drsoren24 said:

So I guess my question to all you 7800 fans is why do you like them, and is it worth getting one for somebody who has a great 5200?  

Not really. I'd just focus attention on the Atari 8-bit computer line and/or the 2600 & 5200. That's all the "Atari" one really needs. That's where the innovation is occurring today, especially in 2600 programming!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Not really. I'd just focus attention on the Atari 8-bit computer line and/or the 2600 & 5200. That's all the "Atari" one really needs. That's where the innovation is occurring today, especially in 2600 programming!

Go back to whatever hole you happen to live in.

• Haha 1

I marked your comment as confusing because you criticised the 7800 for a lack of innovation, which has nothing to do with the old retail library, and everything to do with homebrew.

Several of the upcoming homebrews are breaking new ground. TailChao is developing new cart formats, 2 flash carts have been announced, we have all kinds of new controllers being supported. The fact that you feel innovation is limited to the 2600, 5200, and A8 scenes, honestly just tells me that you're either not paying attention, or more than a little confused.

• Like 4

I guess. If there's new stuff in development, that's fine. I just simply never pictured the 7800 as being at the forefront. A vertical niche. I'm happy to leave it at that.

If flash carts and a co-processor cart like melody or harmony come to market, I'll be impressed.

---

Not confused. I just haven't experienced any big wow moment with the 7800. Not like seeing a system start with Combat & Video Olympics and progress to the likes of Scramble or Draconian. It could happen.

Edited by Keatah

5 minutes ago, Keatah said:

I guess. If there's new stuff in development, that's fine. I just simply never pictured the 7800 as being at the forefront. A vertical niche. I'm happy to leave it at that.

If flash carts and a co-processor cart like melody or harmony come to market, I'll be impressed.

Where have you been the last ten years?  XM all the way!

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Not confused. I just haven't experienced any big wow moment with the 7800. Not like seeing a system start with Combat & Video Olympics and progress to the likes of Scramble or Draconian. It could happen.

And yet you included a system that started off with Star Raiders, possibly the finest system seller of the era, in the same lot of systems with innovation going on. Doesn't really make a lot of sense if awe from humble beginnings is your measure.

I submit that maybe you're not particularly well informed on the 7800 (you have no clue what XM is) and so maybe you're not the best person to pop in and give advice to newcomers that the system doesn't have any innovations going on.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Keatah said:

I just haven't experienced any big wow moment with the 7800. Not like seeing a system start with Combat & Video Olympics and progress to the likes of Scramble or Draconian. It could happen.

Seeing a system 'start' with Mario Bros. and progress to the likes of Rikki & Vikki, both from a hardware and software perspective, if that's not a big wow moment, it's truly a matter of being oblivious or obtuse.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Trebor said:

Seeing a system 'start' with Mario Bros. and progress to the likes of Rikki & Vikki, both from a hardware and software perspective, if that's not a big wow moment, it's truly a matter of being oblivious or obtuse.

I guess I'll have to be both then. It didn't do too much for me.